Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    On My POLARIS or On #721 We don't mess-around

Re: Riding and safety gear

LOL haha It took me like 2 days to post after Dan asked me to-(Young did you see my "Book" I posted on GH about MFI on a Polaris? I'm still tried of typing)-

P.S.Did you watch the video I sent you of you and Jammer1 with the g-strings-that video kills me
    pirate33's flag had neither skulls nor bones, but simply an arm wielding a sword signifying power
    2004 Polaris P3 Matrix 200-
    Yup thats right its "Casper the Matrix" the Long Beach 2 Cat 2008 Class 2 National Offshore Endurance Champion
    LordBlack Racing #33 Kawasaki Ultra 250-
    2009 Mark Hahn Vet Master Endurance Champion
    Member AWA SoCal Watercraft Club
    http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/
    http://pwcoffshore.com/Home_Page.html
    http://www.diablojsa.com/

According to the State of California (and the Federal Govt.), there are a number of safety items you must have:
    -Fire extinguisher (Type BC)
    -Sound signal device (whistle)
    -3 Day / Night visual distress signals (I find smoke works best in day)

You should really have a marine VHF radio and actively monitor Ch16, and have charts of the area. Charts are handy so you don't go cruising through some restricted area (i.e. San Onofre). There is a whole littany of other stuff that would be a good idea to have too, but many of those have already been covered.

For folks wanting a helmet, you might consider a kayak style helmet. Waterproof, bouyant, light, and won't drag you down. For gloves I have a set of sailing gloves, great for grip and seems to keep me warm enough on most days. On really bad days I have a set of scuba gloves. I also use a Henderson Stretch 5/7mm wetsuit on cold days. Very cozy and stretches well. I am looking for more effective riding gear since I'm still experimenting.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by Dauphan
    According to the State of California (and the Federal Govt.), there are a number of safety items you must have:
    -Fire extinguisher (Type BC)
    -Sound signal device (whistle)
    -3 Day / Night visual distress signals (I find smoke works best in day)
    Maybe you or somebody else could ellaborate on the 3 Day / Night distress signals. I'm very unfamiliar with this.

I understand flares, but something that lasts 3 days?

Charts are handy so you don't go cruising through some restricted area (i.e. San Onofre).
    The Blue Chart software for the Garmin GPSs does a very good job of showing all the things and places in the ocean that you never knew existed.

I am looking for more effective riding gear since I'm still experimenting.
    That's what this thread is all about.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

I think it should read 3 each day/night to be clear.
    Is this something other than flares? I carry a package of flares and don't expect to ever use them.

I always carry a ski rope just in case someone needs a tow. I also have a jacket in a waterproof bag in case I get cold. Usualy have at least 3 waterbottles and a couple of power bars like HDSHRNK suggests as well.

jd
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

resident guru

Before Going Out on Your Vessel - Float Plan

1. Name of person reporting and telephone number : _______________________ Description of boat: ____________________
    Type______________ Color__________ Trim___________
    Registration No._________________ Length_____________
    Name _______________ Make________ Other _________

2. Engine type________________________ H. P.___________
    No. of engines _____________________ Fuel capacity_____

3. Survival equipment PFDs Paddles Smoke signals Anchor
    4. Radio Yes No Type _____________ Frequency ______
    5. Mobile phone Yes No ( _______ ) _________________
    6. Automobile license number ___________________________ Type_________________ Trailer license________________ Color________________ Make of auto_________________
    Where parked_____________________________________

7. Persons onboard
    Name
    8. _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
    9. Do any of the persons onboard have a medical problem?
    Yes No If yes, what?_____________________________

10. Trip expectations. Leave at_________________ am pm
    From ________________ going to______________________
    Expect to return by (time) _______________ am pm and
    not later than __________________________ am pm

11. Any other pertinent information?________________________ _________________________________________________
    12. If not returned by (time) call the Coast Guard or (local authority) ___________________________ am pm
    13. Telephone numbers
    ( _____ ) ________________ ( _____ ) _________________

Good call Young. That's something we all need to do a leave at home with our family or firends. Is there a way or a place to post the ride plan at the dock?

I like the idea of having a vhf channel that we all monitor other than 9 and 16 for the club. I think that 72 might be a good choice as it's not used frequently.

Since all of our communication is considered ship-to-ship, any communication we need to make is allowable. Just remember that as we can hear each other, so can everyone else that's monitoring the frequencies. So keep the DD and sexy seal talk to a minimum!!!!!

As for the visual distress signal, I'm not sure that it's a requirement for boats our size. I'm thinking it's a must for boats over 20 feet in length. I'll look that one up. But it's a good idea anyway to have something that can get others attention!!!! A safety mirror might be a good (and cheaper) suggestion.

Chris
    He who dies with the most toys.....can't ride them anymore. Have fun and be safe!!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 Honda F-12
    2005 Acura MDX - Yes it can tow!!!!
    Proud AWA Member since 2007
    Proud SoCal Watercraft Club Member
    http://socalwatercraftclub.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by hdshrnk
    Good call Young. That's something we all need to do a leave at home with our family or firends. Is there a way or a place to post the ride plan at the dock?
    Hey Young,

How about putting that into a word document or maybe a PDF with form fields so people could download the form and then fill it out and print as needed.

You could also email it to people you'd like to notify like other family members etc.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

How about a club web site where we could post all of these kinds of things in a way that is readily accessable? Could be a link to Youngs float plan, another link to a page containing suggested safety gear, etc.

Anybody know how to do that? What do you think of this idea?

This forum is a great place to make contact, generate ideas, and get into some detail, but things get lost in old threads and sometimes websites lose links when they redesign the site interface.

We've put together the list of items to bring along on long trips more than once already (check the old Catalina thread for example)

jd
    Last edited by jdonalds; 01-26-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

resident guru

It's almost like having our own SoCal Watercraft Club website. Where all the vital information can be checked there first. I agreed w/ JDonalds about "LOST Signals" Oops! I meant "Lost Threads in Timbucktoo Land"
    (Jammer1 always told me to read Catalina Ride in June, to be honest - I don't even want to go there and read stuff there, it's so "Lost In The Wood" that even my military GPS chipset can't locate in there , also it doesn't pertaining to me since I didn't join this forum until July 2006)

Also I notice with my other ski group, they also have Face-Name Photo album with all the members (that want to be included), they told me for the new comer is great at least they can recognize who's who they are talking to or email to, and also alot less bashing going on since people start to be more familiar w/ people name and pix, when they haven't met yet. It's much more comfort feeling and the mutual friendship respect are great when we met on the mountain.

I usually don't prefer to go back that far on the posts or threads, I just like read most current posts, just like the "CNN News" or Internet News, and you either keep it up or get left behind. This forum is almost like CNN and sometimes even with Breaking News. (Look what the T-Shirt things got started, I got a call from FXHO letting me know whether I saw his responses, Hmm... Did I see FXHO response, it's more like WHO FOUND THIS BADDD DAWG in San Diego... Must be RBI & Hdshrnk faults .
    The fact is that FXHO had already brought alot of this to our SoCal AWA Club - So "Bring It On" - FXHO . It's going to be a lot of fun "Gotcha Initiation" things this year )

I just started a thread to discuss the potential for a So Cal website!!!!!

Check it out!!

Chris
    He who dies with the most toys.....can't ride them anymore. Have fun and be safe!!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 Honda F-12
    2005 Acura MDX - Yes it can tow!!!!
    Proud AWA Member since 2007
    Proud SoCal Watercraft Club Member
    http://socalwatercraftclub.com

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information