Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Riding and safety gear

Quote Originally Posted by FXHO
    The helmet issue is interesting, I would really consider it for racing/wavejumping, where the risk of impacting the ski is high.

But for normal riding I fear the high speed get off and my neck.
    I think it may be a matter of differences between one ski and the next. JMSGEN asked about this when we were riding last week when he asked me if I'm worried about my face hitting the handlebars. On my Honda, even in that nasty Catalina ride last July, I never come close to the handlebars. It may be the lower position of the handlebars on the Honda coupled with the high sitting position.

The same thing with wave jumping. I don't think my face has come within a foot of the handlebars at any time.

I would wear a helmet if I thought there was a need. But I really enjoy the freedom of riding without even goggles when I can. I wear a hat only to keep the sun off my forehead due to pre-cancer spots I have experienced.

So if you need it then it is a good safety item to add to the list.

John
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by jdonalds
    JMSGEN asked about this when we were riding last week when he asked me if I'm worried about my face hitting the handlebars. On my Honda, even in that nasty Catalina ride last July, I never come close to the handlebars. It may be the lower position of the handlebars on the Honda coupled with the high sitting position.

The same thing with wave jumping. I don't think my face has come within a foot of the handlebars at any time.
    Actually that happened to Squirrel when jumping a wave. She ended up landing too flat and her chin smacked the handlebar pad. It sort of put her off wave jumping. I hope she gets back to it as she loves to jump boat wakes etc.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Thanks for the thread all. This is a great place to exchange ideas and come up with new ones!!!

Dan, if you are interested in a helmet, you might want to consider a snowboarder helmet rather than a motocross one. Their much less weight and, due to the nature of smowboarding, I believe there water-resistant if not proof.

As for the wetsuit and cold weather gear, I'm in my 1 piece 5mm Body Glove suit. The Body Glove suits are like the O'Neill in that they tend to stretch better (a must for those of us who are gravatationally challenged) and I have a XXL. They go up to a 4XL I believe, without becoming a custom suit. I'd like a 3mm better for the ski, but right now, beggars can't be chosers.

My gloves are Jet Pilot and thin. However, I don't tend to get cold in my hands or feet, so this isn't such an issue. I'm more interested in grip and keeping the skin on my hands rather than the grip.

My boots are 10 yer old scuba boots from O'Neill I think. Their 3mm and toasty warm. I prefer the soft sole rather than the hard for my fins, so that's what I have. The hard soled ones always felt to much like shoes and I'm diving, not running.

Glasses are a custom Oakley with polarized lenses. I like the polarized better as it really cuts down on glare. A big problem on the water. I've also come to find that they float. I only know this as I was able to retreive them after the spill in December. They were floating right next to me, seemingly waiting for me to reach out and grab them!!!!!!

I've got the Garmin ETrex Vista CX, the color version of the Vista and I love it. Great interface and easy to use computer software. Easy to read on and off the water. They also have a great mounting set which is easy to install.

I'm riding with the Uniden Atlantis 250, which may be overkill, but I like the size and range.

There you have it, my set up spelled out for criticism and the like!!!!!!

I'd be totally open to suggestions for a 2 or 3 mm suit for the larger of us riders!!!! Any suggestions?????

Talk to ya later.

Aloha

Chris
    He who dies with the most toys.....can't ride them anymore. Have fun and be safe!!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 Honda F-12
    2005 Acura MDX - Yes it can tow!!!!
    Proud AWA Member since 2007
    Proud SoCal Watercraft Club Member
    http://socalwatercraftclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by hdshrnk
    Dan, if you are interested in a helmet, you might want to consider a snowboarder helmet rather than a motocross one. Their much less weight and, due to the nature of smowboarding, I believe there water-resistant if not proof.
    Interesting, I haven't looked at the snowboarding helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by hdshrnk
    I've got the Garmin ETrex Vista CX, the color version of the Vista and I love it. Great interface and easy to use computer software. Easy to read on and off the water. They also have a great mounting set which is easy to install.

I'm riding with the Uniden Atlantis 250, which may be overkill, but I like the size and range.
    I forgot to mention what I was using.

I've got the Garmin 60Cx GPS and a ICOM M32Li VHF radio.

Speaking of VHF radios, we should decide what frequencies we might want to use if we wish to call amongst ourselves. I think there are a limited number of frequencies that are open for non emergency use. If anybody is an expert on this please chime in.
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Speaking of Wet Suits... I just orderd this from Wetsuit Warehouse off of Ebay.
    Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total 777-XA832MB-44 3/2mm Men`s Hyperflex ACCESS Full Wetsuit 1 $69.99 $69.99

It has a different cut than the Oneil's I have been using. Lets just say it's less surfer like. Look for how much strech the neoprene has also. it will be easier to get on and off with more strech to the material. It fits some of the non-standard curves better too.

I see no one has posted a whistle. Keep it with you on your vest. If somone got seperated from their boat on the Catalina trip, a whistle would of helped find them very quickly.

A year or two ago there were a couple of Jet Skier's who ran out of fuel on the back side of the islands and went drifting for an overnight trip. Just in case I always carry somekind of water on the boat. I have felt the effects of dehydration once and I dont ever want to do that again. An energy bar is a good idea also. It is amazing how much better you feel after eating somethng in the middle of the night when you are shivering. Perks you right up! Rope is another item I always have. This will keep the boats together. It's twice as easy to find two specks in the water as it is one. It is very distressing to watch your buddy drift off faster than you. Also handy for Towing Race Boats with your Honda ( you know who you are )
    Last edited by Honda Guy; 01-25-2007 at 10:21 AM.
    "Insert witty comment here"
    AWA member since 2003

I dream skis

While I am not an expert, here is what you have to work with on VHF

DISTRESS SAFETY AND CALLING - Use this channel to get the attention of another station (calling) or in emergencies (distress and safety). 16

INTERSHIP SAFETY - Use this channel for ship-to-ship safety messages and for search and rescue messages and ships and aircraft of the Coast Guard. 6
    COAST GUARD LIAISON - Use this channel to talk to the Coast Guard (but first make contact on Channel 16). 22

NONCOMMERCIAL - Working channels for voluntary boats. Messages must be about the needs of the ship. Typical uses include fishing reports, rendezvous,scheduling repairs and berthing information. Use Channels 67 and 72 only for ship-to-ship messages. 96, 68, 69, 71, 72, 78,
    794, 804, 677.

COMMERCIAL - Working channels for working ships only. Messages must be about business or the needs of the ship. Use channels 8, 67, 72 and 88 only for ship-to-ship messages. 15, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18,
    19, 635, 677,
    79, 80, 881

PUBLIC CORRESPONDENCE (MARINE OPERATOR) - Use these channels to call the marine operator at a public coast station. By contacting a public coast station, you can make and receive calls from telephones on shore. Except for distress calls, public coast stations usually charge for this service. 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84, 85,
    86, 87, 882

PORT OPERATIONS - These channels are used in directing the movement of ships in or near ports, locks or waterways. Messages must be about the operational handling movement and safety of ships. In certain major ports, Channels 11,12 and are not available for general port operations messages. Use channel 20 only for ship-to-coast messages. Channel 77 is limited to intership communications to and from pilots 15, 53, 12, 14, 20,
    635, 65, 66, 73, 74, 77

NAVIGATIONAL - (Also known as the bridge-to-bridge channel.) This channel is available to all ships. Messages must be about ship navigation, for example, passing or meeting other ships. You must keep your messages short. Your power output must not be more than one watt. This is also the main working channel at most locks and drawbridges. 13, 67

MARITIME CONTROL - This channel may be used to talk to ships and coast stations operated by state or local governments. Messages must pertain to regulation and control, boating activities, or assistance to ships. 17

DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING - Use this channel for distress and safety calling and for general purpose calling using only digital selective calling techniques. 70
    WEATHER - On these channels you may receive weather broadcasts of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. These channels are only for receiving. You cannot transmit on them. Wx-1 162.55
    Wx-2 162.4
    Wx-3 162.475

resident guru

FXHO,
    I thought I was having rough day w/ all the Mil Spec STD, the IRIG Chapter on my time synchronizing GPS on daily application dealing w/ Bit Sync, Decoms, Mux/DeMux, RF Antenna for flight, w/ all different protocol and PCM Data Acquisition.

Now with all these distress channels and calling the Coast Guard etc... I think I just wear a BEACON and have Dauphan ride with me EVERYTIME, than I will be in great shape. Dauphan is certified Coast Guard Aux so, I trust I'm in good hand. I will also ride with few wingman like you and Pirate33, then I'm in full session.
    Thanks for the information.
    Men just have way too many toys and gadgets, whereas women cam never have enough shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by FXHO
    While I am not an expert, here is what you have to work with on VHF...........................
    Wow FXHO, thanks for the report. That's some excellent info.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they left too many channels for PWC riders to yodel back and forth to each other.

The only one that sound remotely useable are the Non Commercial channels 67 & 72. We do qualify for most of that, ship to ship, rendezvous, repairs, ........, I hope we don't have any berthing going on while at sea........
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

On My POLARIS or On #721 We don't mess-around

I always carry the following in the ski I am riding-its the outside holder/cover to a towing tube-but is a great rescue tool. I fold it into a small triangle shape with the rope wrapped around It, so it is out of the way when I am skiing-Throws real nice and far-(We teach our boy scouts this rescue method). Used it many times in Pedro when the amateurs come out in the summer and get caught in the rocks to tow them clear so I can get a tow rope on their ski. Used it in San Diego 3 yrs ago to get to shore a stand up guy that was run over by a sit down jumping his wake-wasn't a pretty scene. The 3rd pic shows it folded-up in the front of my ski. The 1st is attached to back of ski and the 2nd showing the cover that has 4 grab handles(The yellow "tube" is just what would normally be inside the cover inflated if you were "tubing"). I will be adding a "climbers clip" to the end of the rope to be able to hook the front of another ski to tow quickly out of waves. When using this other ski's would need to stay clear of the rope so they do not do the Jammer1 and suck it up their intake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pirate33; 01-26-2007 at 01:04 AM.
    pirate33's flag had neither skulls nor bones, but simply an arm wielding a sword signifying power
    2004 Polaris P3 Matrix 200-
    Yup thats right its "Casper the Matrix" the Long Beach 2 Cat 2008 Class 2 National Offshore Endurance Champion
    LordBlack Racing #33 Kawasaki Ultra 250-
    2009 Mark Hahn Vet Master Endurance Champion
    Member AWA SoCal Watercraft Club
    http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/
    http://pwcoffshore.com/Home_Page.html
    http://www.diablojsa.com/

resident guru

Nice demonstration Pirate33
    Now that you are GURU, you write a lot more

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information