• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danketchpel
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Jun 2003

Re: Riding and safety gear

The idea of a retractable visor is interesting.

I think a visor would be much more effective than goggles.

As for Moto-X helmets vs ski/Kayak etc., the main feature that you need is the chin bar to protect your face from the handlebar assembly, ask Pirate & Young, plus anybody who's jumped a wave and landed flat.

It seems like the Moto style helmets offer the best protection and still cost "about" the same depending on which brands you compare.

I'd like to figure out a way to add a visor to my Moto helmet for use in the ocean. Maybe I should just use one of my street helmets instead?

I was wearing goggles again yesterday on our ride from Channel Islands out to the oil platform in wind blown chop and they still don't cut it. I either need to mod these goggles, find better ones, or do the face shield thing on my helmet. The fact that I still need a hat to protect my scalp from sunburn suggests the helmet route solves 2 problems at once.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Comment

• younggtx
      Resident Guru
      • Jul 2006

I would prefer to go with full helmet for maximum protection for racing. I already owned two ski helmets for my downhill skiing, so I know going soft won't help my speed demon habit.

I like the fact, it will be a lot quieter, and no more noise factor, also help protect sunburn. Since I am not a big fan of using VHF radio therefore wearing helmet won't help the communication, that's OK since I rely more "Buddy System" when I ride.

I must admit, I haven't been riding very slow lately. Going to final weekend at World Final, and hanging around with PWCOffshore guys and SoCal racers sure take its toll. I went thru replacement "OPAS" Sea Doo parts twice now, broke all the "winnie paddles" thru those chops, I like to ride and glide thru the wind. Must be winter time

Many times, my face almost smack into the handle bar so I believe it's time to protect my head and my face. I look in the mirror this morning, it's still look PERDY ,
      so I am lucky this time .

A good helmet is good to have. You just make sure you look good, PERDY and yuppy.
      Last edited by younggtx; 11-13-2007, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• danketchpel
        • Jun 2003

You might want to browse this current thread on helmets in the Racing - General forum.

Anything not fitting in the other PWC, seadoo, jetski, waverunner Racing catagories in this forum section.
        SoCal Club Website
        SoCal Club News & Info
        AWA Member since 2003

Comment

• jmsgen
          PWCToday Guru
          • Jun 2004

" Many times, my face almost smack into the handle bar so I believe it's time to protect my head and my face. "

I cant even begin to understand why someone would go with an open face helmet . . .
          Last edited by jmsgen; 11-14-2007, 10:23 PM.
          "It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

#89 RUDE Performance

Comment

• danketchpel
            • Jun 2003

This is the direction I'm thinking to go.

This is my post in the helmet thread of the Racing - general forum asking about this style of helmet.

Originally posted by danketchpel
            Has anybody tried one of the "cross over" style motorcycle helmets?

I'm interested in one for off-shore riding. I have an Arai Moto helmet for dirtbiking that I can use with goggles but I'm not too impressed with most goggles I've tried for use in the water so far. I'm thinking the face shield would work better.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback.

So far the feedback from racer's who've used it is extremely positive.

Originally posted by godocgo
            yes that style helmet is by far the best. full field of vision, you can take a full pump wash the shield and nothing happens. no lost goggles or anything.

i wear the shoei version now, i wore the arai version in 06.

lee
            Originally posted by xp114
            I bought the helmet from Lee and I love it. I got it after Lee and a few other riders wore theirs at 2006 Nationals and World finals. Sadly Patrick would not allow me to wear it in Myrtle or Nationals this year. After much discussion with Lee, Louis Milone, and others including my paramedic husband, we feel that this type of helmet actually creates a safer racing situation. (ie: not being blinded by pumpwash & much better peripheral vision) Provided you use a quality helmet like Arai or Shoei these helmets don't retain water inside the shield eliminating the risk of a rider drowning in their helmet as any greater than a rider drowning in goggles.

This is the pefect helmet for surf! You don't get salt water in your face or mouth and if it's raining, no face acupuncture. Best of all if it's cold it will keep you warm. I did have a little fogging if you sit too long on the line but once you're moving it's gone. This helmet gets 5 stars from me!
            Last edited by danketchpel; 11-15-2007, 08:38 PM.
            SoCal Club Website
            SoCal Club News & Info
            AWA Member since 2003

Comment

• younggtx
              Resident Guru
              • Jul 2006

Thanks Dan, Nice....very nice...no more goggle and definitely look like Japanese Action Heros.

Comment

• Salty Dog
                PWCToday Newbie
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by younggtx

This helmet looks great, especially after the salt spray in the eyes and my face hitting the handlebars on our ride Saturday! Cheaper than dental work….
                Carl

2005 Kawasaki STX12-F
                Solas KG-CD-12/18
                AWA Member

Comment

• DandSProGroup1
                  Frequent Poster
                  • May 2006

This is the direction I'm thinking to go.

This is my post in the helmet thread of the Racing - general forum asking about this style of helmet.

Has anybody tried one of the "cross over" style motorcycle helmets?

I'm interested in one for off-shore riding. I have an Arai Moto helmet for dirtbiking that I can use with goggles but I'm not too impressed with most goggles I've tried for use in the water so far. I'm thinking the face shield would work better.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback.

So far the feedback from racer's who've used it is extremely positive.

Originally posted by godocgo
                  yes that style helmet is by far the best. full field of vision, you can take a full pump wash the shield and nothing happens. no lost goggles or anything.

i wear the shoei version now, i wore the arai version in 06.

lee
                  Originally posted by xp114
                  I bought the helmet from Lee and I love it. I got it after Lee and a few other riders wore theirs at 2006 Nationals and World finals. Sadly Patrick would not allow me to wear it in Myrtle or Nationals this year. After much discussion with Lee, Louis Milone, and others including my paramedic husband, we feel that this type of helmet actually creates a safer racing situation. (ie: not being blinded by pumpwash & much better peripheral vision) Provided you use a quality helmet like Arai or Shoei these helmets don't retain water inside the shield eliminating the risk of a rider drowning in their helmet as any greater than a rider drowning in goggles.

This is the pefect helmet for surf! You don't get salt water in your face or mouth and if it's raining, no face acupuncture. Best of all if it's cold it will keep you warm. I did have a little fogging if you sit too long on the line but once you're moving it's gone. This helmet gets 5 stars from me!
                  Dan.
                  If its cold out and or if your breathing a little hard you'll fog up. With rain-x the water will start to condense and start to streak inside and then you'll want to open up the visor to see more clearly. You'll end up using goggles. There isn't enough air flow to help keep the visor clear. On a motorcycle there is enough airflow when traveling at speed and there less moisture in the air (unless it's raining) then you are if your on the water.

Dave
                  Sponsored by:
                  D & S Production Group # 60
                  Rude Performance
                  Hydro-Turf
                  Skat-Trac
                  Dr. Bruce Hall D.C
                  Motel 6 #1344 Austin, Texas
                  Signs by Tomorrow. Santa Clarita, Ca
                  Supported by
                  John Smith
                  The Hawes Group
                  4 Tec Performance.com
                  I.A.T.S.E Local 80
                  Maui Pineapple & Land Co.
                  Palace Resorts

Comment

• danketchpel
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DandSProGroup1
                    Dan.
                    If its cold out and or if your breathing a little hard you'll fog up. With rain-x the water will start to condense and start to streak inside and then you'll want to open up the visor to see more clearly. You'll end up using goggles. There isn't enough air flow to help keep the visor clear. On a motorcycle there is enough airflow when traveling at speed and there less moisture in the air (unless it's raining) then you are if your on the water.

Dave
                    Thanks for the feedback, I think you have one of those helmets right?

After using many full face helmets for street riding (including in the rain) I can understand what you're saying 100%. Fogging etc. is certainly my 1st concern. The second being the fairly high cost of that helmet, especially considering I already have an Arai helmet and goggles.
                    SoCal Club Website
                    SoCal Club News & Info
                    AWA Member since 2003

Comment

• miahs x2
                      Frequent Poster
                      • Jul 2010

Hay so Cal guys I have a xxl jetpilot wet suit I'm trying to trade for smaller size I'm 140lbs and this thing hangs on me PM me if interested
                      Last edited by miahs x2; 10-11-2010, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• jsecape
                        Frequent Poster
                        • Dec 2010

Hi
                        Just got my wetsuit from Scuba.com .under 100.00
                        fits nice for me being fat, (phat looks better that Fat )

Comment

Working...
                        X