Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Riding and safety gear

I thought that it might be a good idea to have a thread related to the various gear we need.

Here's a first "request";

Quote Originally Posted by jdonalds
    Hey Dan how about posting info/URL for those gloves you were wearing on Saturday. They looked warmer than the one's I have. It was just a bit on the chilly side Saturday. I don't know what the temperature was on the water but my guess is in the 50's and at 40-50mph it felt chilly! I took me a while to get my core temperature up after the ride.
    After getting very cold hands last year on our after X-mas ride at Nacimiento I swore I'd find something that really kept your hands warm. After almost 8 months of searching the best I've found (for cold weather jetski use) are the SLX 3mm gloves made by O'neill.
    http://www.oneill.com/mens-products....riesID=9&id=41

I looked at many others, including some of the other gloves made by O'neill, but none seem quite as well suited to our needs. We tested them out this year on our post Xmas ride at Nac. (currently the coldest ride we do all year), and they came through with flying colors. Squirrel used them for the entire Memorial ride and her hands were toasty warm. I tried out my new Slippery gloves (better for summer) just to see how they would work and decided to change over to the SLX gloves after my hands got cold while riding up to Goleta Pier. I was toasty warm on the ride back! The trick is they work like a wetsuit and still keep your hands warm even when they get wet.

It seems like the best place to get them is Huntington Surf and Sport. http://hsssurf.com/

I bought our's at one of their store fronts in Huntington Beach (after calling a bunch of surf shops in SoCal) and my SIL Sandi bought a pair for her and Dave online from the same store. I did check and they don't currently show them on their website but I know they just received 2 pairs within the last couple of weeks.

They do give a bit of a "spongy" feel when gripping the bars but it's worth it to keep your hands warm on long rides in colder conditions.

If anybody has some other gear they've found works really well please post it here so maybe somebody looking to upgrade something that doesn't work so well can buy in confidence.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Re: Riding and safety gear

For footwear I recommend the Jet Pilot lace-up race boots. Great traction, ankle support, even warmth for your feet due to the neoprene liner. They are very comfortable and are a major improvement over the old style rear zipper race boots. I bought mine at the World Finals in '05 for $40 (a great deal) and even after more than a year of rigorous use they still do the job. There you have it! They are what they are.
    T C
    Last edited by tcseadoo; 01-24-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    Thanks to my sponsors: Hydro Turf, Parker Yamaha, R&D Racing, Tech One Racing, Tube Solutions

I dream skis

This is a great thread.

Let me give you my take as I have gone thru a huge amount of gear being a surfer/bodyboarder/ and now jetskiier.

The first thing I have learned.
    If you can deal with a 1 piece wetsuit, get an oneill.
    Here is why, they come in a very large and diverse selection of all shapes/styles/ and sizes, and warmth..... have better materials, and will fit you better. You can test them for size at your local surf shop.

I've got a $100, Oneill Hammer, size Large/Short, works great fits perfect.

Jetpilot, and Slippery just don't fit everyone, and are hard to find/test out, also seem to have funky loud graphics.

Dan you are right on about the oneill gloves. flat out warmer and more sealed than anything out there.

I myself have 2 pairs of JP gloves, I bought 2 years ago, I bought direct from Jet Pilot, they are ok, but I'll be damned if anyone can even find any jetpilot wear these days, since they don't sell direct anymore, and their website has gone to crap.

I peronally like to wear goggles, as they clear better in lots of splash, than sunglasses, and do not leave alot of blinding salt spots. Also they make your nose protrude less saving you from breaking your nose off on the handlebars during totally uncontrollable conditions.

Right now I have jetpilot sneakers......these are not what to wear in the cold, as they flush with cold water and chill you. I have some surf booties I will wear next time.

My latest addition the Slippery tour coat I got on Ebay for $60 the XL, it's kinda overpriced at $90, but is a great addition for the "1 piece" wetsuit wearer like myself in the cold, and was very noticibly warmer for it's maiden voyage last weekend when I threw it on.

Seems like the rule is to get the best stuff that works for you, you really have to have a mismash of different branded gear, one brand tends not to work for everyone.

Let me know other feedback

DY

Quote Originally Posted by FXHO
    If you can deal with a 1 piece wetsuit, get an oneill.

Here is why, they come in a very large and diverse selection of all shapes/styles/ and sizes, and warmth..... have better materials, and will fit you better. You can test them for size at your local surf shop.
    I have to agree with you there. I find the O'neill suits have the stretchiest materials and seem to fit me the best. I'm on my second O'neill full length wetsuit and I'm really happy with it. I started with a Hammer 3/2 full which was bought at last minute to do my first Ventura to Santa Barbara ride a couple years ago and it wasn't quite the right size for me. It still worked great but was too tight. Last year I decided to get the right size for me and upgrade 1 step to the Epic II CT 3/2 which I'm very happy with.

We had a very hard time finding a wetsuit that fit Squirrel (my wife) properly so we ended up having a custom one made for her. We tried a shop in Orange county the first time around but we got what we paid for, inexpensive but not the best quality. For the second try we stepped up a couple of notches and went with a small shop in Santa Cruz (the birthplace of wetsuits) called Heat Wave.
    http://www.heatwavewetsuits.com/hwhomepage.html

The website isn't very good but they do excellent work with 100% taped and blindstiched seams. They will custom fit you and build pretty much anything you want in a wide range of color combinations. Her 3/3 full suit cost just under $400.

We've got some cheapy spring suits and will probably put one more season on those until we upgrade.

I peronally like to wear goggles, as they clear better in lots of splash, than sunglasses, and do not leave alot of blinding salt spots.
    This is what I'm looking to upgrade. We have some watersports goggles made by Oakley (H2O Frame) but we're not that impressed with them. The biggest problem is they have foam on the top of the lens for anti fogging but the water comes through the foam and still gets in your eyes etc.

I'm looking for a set of goggles more like swimmer's goggles that seal around your eyes and preferably I could get with prescription lenses. This is the closest thing I've found but they're out of Europe and very expensive.
    http://www.prescriptionswimminggoggl...emeGlasses.asp

Right now I have jetpilot sneakers......these are not what to wear in the cold, as they flush with cold water and chill you. I have some surf booties I will wear next time.
    We've been using 6mm dive boots (Echozip) made by Deep See and we're pretty happy with them for cold weather riding. http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/echozip.html

I'm thinking to take a look at the JetPilot stuff you and TC are using for summer riding. We've got some Slippery watershoes but I'd like something with a thicker sole for walking on rocky bottoms etc.

My latest addition the Slippery tour coat I got on Ebay for $60 the XL, it's kinda overpriced at $90, but is a great addition for the "1 piece" wetsuit wearer like myself in the cold, and was very noticibly warmer for it's maiden voyage last weekend when I threw it on.
    I'd like to look at one of those Slippery Tour Coats a bit closer. They seem like a good idea and I've heard quite a bit of good feedback from others on this board who like them.
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

I agree FXHO this is a good thread. Thanks Dan for starting it, and for the glove info. I'm going to order a pair of those soon. I've been wearing a pair of Jet Pilot gloves for almost two years and while I like them for fit and hand protection they are inadequate for below 60 degree air temp and 45mph traveling.

I wear dive booties which work fine for me. They zip up on the side so are easy to put on and remove. The ones I have come with soft soles as they are intended to fit inside SCUBA fins. There are other models available with harder soles that might be more appropriate for PWC. Sport Chalet has both. These are made for diving in 50+ water so do a great job of keeping my feet warm. I haven't looked at the racing boots TC recommended so they might be better. A nice variety of dive boots can be viewed here: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=13

As stated many times on several SoCal threads if you are going to ride on the ocean there are a minimum of two pieces of safety gear I would not ride without. 1) A GPS 2) A VHF.

For the GPS I would recommend either the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx for the smaller less expensive selection, or the Garmin 60Cx. I use the Legend on my PWC, in the car, and on my mountain bike so it is a useful and versitile little "black box" as my wife would call things of this nature. There is a $50 rebate offer from Garmin on this unit this year. The 60Cx is about $100 more than the Legend but has a larger screen, a faster more sensitive chip, and has more convienent button layout. Both units have the same features and both require $125 or so maps to make them useful.

For the VHF there are a number of good inexpensive units on the market.
    I have the Uniden 350 http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handhel...&s=electronics
    Some prefer a VHF/FRS combination. Uniden as a range of models and prices.

For really serious security you might consider an EPIRB (explained here: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/epirb.htm). Here is one for $141 as an example http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store...0016&source=fr
    I don't have an EPIRB but there are a couple of times I should have had one like our July trip to Catalina.

John
    Last edited by jdonalds; 01-24-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

It is hard to believe that so many of you ride in the ocean, but so few wear helmets. There is no better protection than a good helmet for your Dome. All the other gear is secondary and personal preferance only. Do yourself a favor, get a good skid lid.
    "It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

#89 RUDE Performance

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by danketchpel
    I'm looking for a set of goggles more like swimmer's goggles that seal around your eyes and preferably I could get with prescription lenses.
    Normally I just use a cheap pair of polarised sunglasses but when things get rough I use a "Save Phace" mask from http://www.fishhedz.net
    This will also allow you to wear glasses underneath.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dream skis

The helmet issue is interesting, I would really consider it for racing/wavejumping, where the risk of impacting the ski is high.

But for normal riding I fear the high speed get off and my neck.

The helmet issue is interesting, I would really consider it for racing/wavejumping, where the risk of impacting the ski is high.
    That is pretty much how I feel. For "normal" riding I've never felt a helmet is necessary but I can see wearing one for racing and it probably makes good sense for wave jumping also.

I wear helmets for when I ride my dirt and street bikes but somehow I never got started wearing them for jetskis.

I actually have a few questions for those who do wear helmets in the water.

1. Do you have problems with them getting messed up by being wet? What I mean is, do the interior materials degrade after being wet all the time?

2. Do you use standard motocross helmets?

3. Is there anything that one should know before wearing a helmet on a watercraft? Maybe any tricks if you become submerged under a wave etc.? It seems like the helmet would make swimming diffecult but maybe that's just my perception.

I need to try wearing my Arai full face one of these days. We are planning a trip to Salt Springs resevoir in early spring where they have a bouy course permanetly set up and they require wearing a helmet when you ride the course.

I can see the advantage of having a face shield in nasty conditions. I liked the helmet that Jammer1 was wearing, it was like a supermotard helmet. A motocross style full face with a street type face shield built in. That seems like the perfect watercraft helmet.

Here's one made by Arai, it's pretty expensive but looks trick. http://www.motostrano-store.com/arxdchhe.html
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

Here is a better link to the EPIRB site I mentioned in the earlier post.
    http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/epirb.htm The other one had a ")" at the end of the URL which messed it up.

Thanks for pointing that out to me in the PM Pirate.

John
    Last edited by jdonalds; 01-25-2007 at 01:02 AM.
    My life went through a major change 17 years ago. I have peace that I never thought I'd have now that I know Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

2004 Honda Aquatrax F-12 (350 hours), Solas 9/18 Impeller.
    AWA Member since Sept 2006
    1992 SeaDoo XP
    1993 Kawasaki 750 SS Xi
    2006 Yamaha SX210 twin jet boat

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information