User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Boarding a Seadoo HX

Hi, there is a Seadoo HX for sale in my area and I am thinking of buying it. However, how do you guys that own these get back on them when you fall off in deep water? I don't see a grab bar to get back on like my 93 xp does. Also, I have heard that these things are very tipsy, can you just float there with the engine off without falling off it? How fast can these things go bone stock? It has the 717 in it.

Overall this thing looks awesome and almost looks like a hybrid between a stand up and a couch. Looks like a blast to drive!

Rob

The Nephew I dream skis BillingsIPD's Avatar

Re: Boarding a Seadoo HX

Quote Originally Posted by Fast93XP
    how do you guys that own these get back on them when you fall off in deep water
    Very carefully
    It takes some getting used to, but you'll get it down eventually. They really arent that stable just cruising at idle, let alone at a dead engine stop.. I havent ridden mine much, but It was pretty hard to balance on until you get up to speed, but once your there... well.. there arent too many other sit downs I enjoy riding more than an HX.. they take more effort to ride than most couches, but thats what makes them a blast

Id say go for it! Anything worth doing is going to take effort, youll be happy once you are out carving with your elbows dipping in the water on every turn

If you can't master the side board, kneel on the back with both knees balancing, start it up and get up on a plane then pull yourself up. You need to do it all pretty quickly otherwise you will start tipping, believe it or not it's easier to do in rough water.

Its funny I just recorded a demo of me sideboarding my HX, I was hoping to start a thread on this topic but you beat me to it. You start off on the left side of the ski, crank the bars right, gun it, and the ski just slides right under you. BAM, like that, you are back on again. It really is as effortless as it looks in my opinion.

How much do you weigh? I am 6'2" 240lbs, and no, the HX is not stable at all without the motor running. You will get wet on this boat no matter what. My buddy is about 5'6" 150lbs and he can sit on a non-running HX, but even he finds it very difficult.

Honestly, the HX is such an AWESOME machine! It carves turns that will blow your mind (check out my avatar). The links below are to my videos.

Side boarding demonstration:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1705153715

Just messing around, with another sideboard at the end of the video:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1697904032

My buddy who is not used to the boat trying some hard turns:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1698090509

Quick HX video of me:
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1698729582
    Last edited by smoofers; 01-09-2007 at 01:49 AM.
    SAC Racing
    2010 R5 Water X Racing - Rider of the Year

2011 R5 Water X Racing Beer Pong Tournament Co-Champion

Hey thanks for the great info guys! Those vids kick azz. I love how it carves those turns. That thing looks like it really moves. How do they perform in choppy water? I will be riding it on lake st.clair which is pretty choppy at times. Looks like I might be the owner of a Hx!

Rob

They are a great rough water ski.

Very good rough water ski. Here is one more video of me on my HX on VERY windy, CHOPPY day, choppy as hell, I still had a GREAT time. Check it out, oh and turn down your sound, sorry about the wind noise.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1705470543
    SAC Racing
    2010 R5 Water X Racing - Rider of the Year

2011 R5 Water X Racing Beer Pong Tournament Co-Champion

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home SeaDooSource's Avatar

When I weighed 190 sideboarding my Waveblaster was easy but now that I'm 220 and out of shape, it doesn't work well!
    Sea Doo also made a HX stabilizer that made for easier boarding and gave additional bouyancy at the rear. Although they're really scarce these days, I see them on ebay occasionally.
    OSD JetPump Rebuild Service here
    Heavy Duty RFI & DI Rectifier Upgrade here

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mikuni carbs here
    Complete Single & Dual Carb Rebuild Kits with OEM Mikuni Parts here

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

At 155 lbs, I can float along on smooth water with the engine off, lift the hood up and remove the sparkplugs and adjust the carbs on an HX.
    You just need to learn to balance the ski.

The absolutely easiest way to deep water reboard is by laying the ski over in the water to the left side and crank the handlebars to the right and gas it up. It will pull you and the ski right up and away you go.
    It took me two or three trys to get the hang of that method of boarding the ski, but it was well worth the effort. Just do not hesitate to really gas it up, as not enough throttle will be be futile and wear yourself out.

I have taught others in as few as one or two trys, and others who never could get the hang of it.

When you ride in rough water, the most stable hull is when you are "on the gas". To make an HX cut a sharp corner, you must be "on the gas" to get the back end to suck down and stick to the water, otherwise you will spinout and go swimming. The moment you lift the throttle, the hull will become unhooked and spin. The HX is an aggressive hull that needs an aggressive rider on it to work properly.

I perfer the oem steering on the HX hull, others perfer the UMI steering. You should try both before spending the money for UMI. A good scoop grate will make it handle very well. Some guys like aftermarket sponsons, some don't.

The HX goes about 52 mph stock. I built a few mods that went mid 60's. Limiteds that went just over 60 mph. It is probably one of the most fun hulls to race if you are in good physical condition. The group of HX racers is a fairly close knit group in most areas that they race them in. You can have alot of fun racing an HX.
    Last edited by Watercraft Magic; 01-09-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com
    Weekdays, (626)914-9509

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER
    If you can't master the side board, kneel on the back with both knees balancing, start it up and get up on a plane then pull yourself up. You need to do it all pretty quickly otherwise you will start tipping, believe it or not it's easier to do in rough water.
    Yea, I do it this way as well, the side board method takes a lot effort, very hard to do after very aggresive ridding. I start the ski first, then let it pull me behind it, then kneel on the back raising the bow out of the water (even pulling on the handle, this gets the handle bars up in the air, a better/closer postion to grab) then in one motion leap forward and grab the handle bars and give it full throttle...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information