Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: JS550 Build / Paint

When I wetsand I grab a large tupperware bowl, pour a little dish soap in, then add water. Use whatever sandpaper you need, but make sure it is wet/dry sandpaper. Rinse the sandpaper in the bowl of water frequently to wash off the primer/paint residue building up in the sandpaper. When you are done sanding rinse the ski off very well with plain water. Make sure you rinse all soap and sanding residue off. Let the ski dry then reapply more coats of primer or paint.

When doing bodywork the key is to constantly rub your hand over the panels, feeling for imperfections. Don't trust your eyes. Primer has a flat finish that hides imperfections. It can make wavy bodywork appear flat. Practice makes perfect.

I learned that rattle cans and metallic paint jobs don't mix. The rattle can makes the metallic streaky (small spray pattern), versus a paint gun spraying a much wider pattern. Keep it simple and the paint job can look killer.
    1988 JS550

550Monster -
    You'll want to let your paint cure thoroughly before wetsanding. I think that I'm going to wait at least 7 days - it's winter and I don't need the ski ready soon anyway. Before I wetsanded the bottom, I sprayed it down with water (just a little spray bottle) and used the water liberally during the sanding process to lubricate the sandpaper. your sandpaper will get very flexible like rubber. Just go easy - you don't want to go through the paint. Like I said, use 800 / 1000 / 1200 / 1600 and you are done. I just bought the assorted pack at the auto parts store of paper - it's pretty cheap.

Good Luck!
    Joe Z

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Wrenching in my garage, somewhere in Idaho.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to wetsand the primer next weekend and have it ready to get sprayed. I'm going to help the dude wetsand the paint when I take it to him, lay on the graphics and clearcoat, done!

It's really cold here right now, I may have to take it to my buddy's shop to do the last primer job. It's gonna look killer when I get it all done though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '84 Kawi JS550
    PJS Exhaust - PJS E-manifold - Jetsport Head - Skat Trak 16 - Mariner Ride Plate - QuikSteer - Trigger Throttle - Fly Flame Arrestor
    '89 Kawi JS550
    West Coast Waterbox - OceanPro Rideplate - Skat Trak Impellor - 440 Pump - Trigger Throttle
    '94 Kawi 750SX
    '96 SeaDoo XP
    '07 SkiDoo REV 800R

HPS Exhaust Can

Quote Originally Posted by kawi105 View Post
    dude, seriously, ive looked thru ur postings. And in your 5500 some odd posts, ur more useless than a rake in the middle of the ocean

Hey guys, here's a little update. I cleared the ski almost a week ago and let it cure. While waiting on that, I installed a bilge pump and got the new turf in. I have left the tops of the turf up so that I wouldn't get compound / wax all over it. The bilge pump went in really easily after I found all the parts I needed. I think it cost me $30 total. The pictures below were taken this morning when it was cloudy. I'll try to get some that really show the metalflec. It looks great now that it has been buffed, but pictures don't really do it justice. So far, I've had no problems with the hood strap area or where the pole hits the rubber stopper on the pole crown. I put the clear bra material on there and I think it's going to hold up. I'm really excited because I can finally see the light at the end of this tunnel!

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Wrenching in my garage, somewhere in Idaho.

Looks good!

I hope I can fix what's wrong with mine......
    '84 Kawi JS550
    PJS Exhaust - PJS E-manifold - Jetsport Head - Skat Trak 16 - Mariner Ride Plate - QuikSteer - Trigger Throttle - Fly Flame Arrestor
    '89 Kawi JS550
    West Coast Waterbox - OceanPro Rideplate - Skat Trak Impellor - 440 Pump - Trigger Throttle
    '94 Kawi 750SX
    '96 SeaDoo XP
    '07 SkiDoo REV 800R

HPS Exhaust Can

Quote Originally Posted by kawi105 View Post
    dude, seriously, ive looked thru ur postings. And in your 5500 some odd posts, ur more useless than a rake in the middle of the ocean

PWCToday Newbie

Joe, that is looking sharp! Keep us posted.

I just wanted to add a little update to this aging thread. After completing the clear coat / buffing, I started working on my trailer. It served many years as a hunting dog box, so it needed lots of work and paint. I've posted some pictures showing what it is now. I used 4" PVC pipes, 2x4, and 2x6 material. Pictures show it all - it came out pretty nice. I had a friend weld up a front bracket - it came out nice, but will scratch the ski if not carefull. Overall, I'm pleased with the design of the trailer - it won't rot out!

I took the ski out for the first time today. It was rather chilly, but got some good time in. The water was 46* - no wetsuit... it was cold, but I'm young and stupid I guess! Can't wait for that water to warm up!

Joe Z

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

PWCToday Newbie

How's the spray paint job holding up? I'm thinking of rattle canning mine too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information