Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: JS550 Build / Paint

Was the red candy paint on the hull done with a rattle can or spray gun? If you used a rattle can, which paint did you use? Brand? type?

hypersport,
    Everything on the ski was done with a rattle can. The bottom was Appliance enamel from Lowes (great stuff) and the red was a custom mixed / pumped can from Sherwin Williams - close to this (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pr...40186&cat=190). It's about $12/can which isn't too bad, but is significant. I'm also using a canned automotive clear after I wetsand it. The only area that I'm concerned about is the hood strap area where I am probably going to put a strip of clear bra material - it's made for car hoods and is just a very thick piece of adhesive vinyl.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the info

PWCToday Newbie

the candy red is going to be so bright on the water i did mine with a candy blue but it has a fish neting inlaye with a gray and then the blue over it, it is the brightest thing on the lake if i can find the pics i'll post them, if you scratched the surface real good i wouldn't worry about paint flack but eiather way that i what they made stickers for haha!
    KYLE

i assume you painted hte bottom with the unit upside down & motor out?

(may have missed that in the thread)
    2007 Nissan Altima
    2004 Cadillac XLR
    1984 BMW 325e Racecar
    1991 Mystic Yamaha VXR650

Topher, I took the engine out, flipped it on the cart, and repaired / painted the bottom. Take a look @ the pix. It's trued now and will soon have a toploader grate.

Kyle -
    Yeah, I sanded the hull ALOT, repaired chips/cracks/ect, put a primer on it, then painted. I am hoping that it'll hold up with a coat of clear and wax.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Wrenching in my garage, somewhere in Idaho.

I've been working on prepping my 550 also, just put the last coat of primer on it last night. What technique did you use for wetsanding? Did you use a block? I'm just curious and also the guy and the local autobody shop told me that the Krylon Auto Primer I used won't work.....For some reason I don't really believe him, it's primer for metal and over the top of sanded paint (which is what my application is, after all.) He said the primer will wrinkle when he lays a basecoat on it (dunno where he got the idea he was painting it, he'll probably want $600 or more for the job) but I'm not worried about it wrinkling at all.

But, my uncle's buddy said he'd spray it for me, the whole thing black with Dupont Nason "Full Thane" and that it will be fine. I don't think it needs a basecoat, the primer is a dark grey and it's getting covered with black, so.......?

I also had the idea of rattle canning this ski, but thought I should spen the extra $$ to have it sprayed (I'll probably mess it up if I do it myself.) I'll put up a pic of it in a bit, it's all primer grey and looks like an F-16.
    '84 Kawi JS550
    PJS Exhaust - PJS E-manifold - Jetsport Head - Skat Trak 16 - Mariner Ride Plate - QuikSteer - Trigger Throttle - Fly Flame Arrestor
    '89 Kawi JS550
    West Coast Waterbox - OceanPro Rideplate - Skat Trak Impellor - 440 Pump - Trigger Throttle
    '94 Kawi 750SX
    '96 SeaDoo XP
    '07 SkiDoo REV 800R

HPS Exhaust Can

Quote Originally Posted by kawi105 View Post
    dude, seriously, ive looked thru ur postings. And in your 5500 some odd posts, ur more useless than a rake in the middle of the ocean

How long did you wait before you wet sanded the bottom? Looks awesome by the way.

SC
    Last edited by SC Reaper; 02-19-2007 at 10:36 PM.

The key to making the paint look smooth is the wetsanding. On the bottom of the ski (appliance enamel) I waited about a week for it to cure. This was in part because it was so cold here that I felt it needed some serious time to cure. I think I'll give the top (candy apple) until Wednesday - that'll be 4 days in the warm sun - to cure before I wetsand. I have 800, 1000, 1200, and 1600 grit paper that I'll use while wetsanding. The best block to use is actually a piece of flexible foam so that the paper will follow the curve of the ski. For the most part, I like to go lightly with the heavier grit and sand more liberally with the finer grit. After wet sanding, I'll wash the ski and clear it. I give about 30 minutes between coats of clear for it to tack up. The clear is supposed to cure for at least a week - I'll give it 10 days before I buff it. I call it buffing, but I actually just do the Meguires 3 step cleaner/polish/wax with a porter cable orbital.

Hope this helps. This has been a bigger project than I expected, but I'll have a straight ski finally...

Monster550 - I primed the whole ski with Krylon Auto primer - I got ahold of some flat white and it was great.

Joe Z
    Last edited by zdek; 02-20-2007 at 12:03 AM.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Wrenching in my garage, somewhere in Idaho.

Yeah, I thought the Krylon stuff should work just fine. Now I know it should!

But for wetsanding, did you just spray a coat on the ski and start sanding right away? Or is there something you put on it (water?) to wetsand? This is my first painting project of any kind that I've had to wetsand on.

Thanks
    '84 Kawi JS550
    PJS Exhaust - PJS E-manifold - Jetsport Head - Skat Trak 16 - Mariner Ride Plate - QuikSteer - Trigger Throttle - Fly Flame Arrestor
    '89 Kawi JS550
    West Coast Waterbox - OceanPro Rideplate - Skat Trak Impellor - 440 Pump - Trigger Throttle
    '94 Kawi 750SX
    '96 SeaDoo XP
    '07 SkiDoo REV 800R

HPS Exhaust Can

Quote Originally Posted by kawi105 View Post
    dude, seriously, ive looked thru ur postings. And in your 5500 some odd posts, ur more useless than a rake in the middle of the ocean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information