Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JS550 Build / Paint

I've been working on a new paint job on my JS550 and wanted to share some photos of the work so far. The hull was rather rough and I've been working with fiberglass, filler, and LOTS of sanding. I have had Sherwin Williams custom mix some rattle cans for the job. This paint is candy apple red metal flec for the top, and I'll be using white appliance enamel on the bottom and racing stripes. I also had them pump several cans of auto - quality clear into a rattle can for the final clear. The sides are a little plain, but I'll think of something for them. Any ideas? You are welcome to use the paint document for your designs also - It's not exactly to scale, but gets the job done. For anyone who is wanting to paint a ski correctly, it's a lot of work!

Joe Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Re: JS550 Build / Paint

I've been working on the ski quite a bit and wanted to update this post - maybe someone will use it to get an idea of what's involved or what is possible with spray paint. I decided to paint the bottom first with appliance epoxy enamel. I filled and sanded the whole bottom side after finding many very deep scratches (like most the way through). Then I primed and sprayed the bottom, sanding the primer at 400 between. After several good coats of enamel, I wet sanded with 600, 1000, and 1500 to leave a mirror finish. I then compounded and waxed it today. It looks like a new hull. pictures are below. Feel free to contact me if you too are looking into doing a quality paint job with rattle cans at home.
    Last edited by zdek; 01-07-2007 at 06:23 PM.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

The manager of your local walgreens is very interested in your shop stand for your ski I bet...

Here's the latest - I haven't had the chance to paint lately because it's been so cold. I got the taping for the topside done this afternoon and thought I'd post some pictures.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Coreyf983's Avatar

looks great for a rattle can zdek!

do you think it will hold up , especially the hood strap area . i am not being synical just curious , i dont want to spend 200 to paint my 100 dollar ski.

The hood strap area is my only concern. It will have many coats and a clear on top of that. I understand your concern about spending money on a cheap ski - that's why I'm using rattle can paint, even though it's by far not the cheapest available. As I get further along with the project / start using the ski, I'll keep this thread up to date.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

how bad is it to have the ski upside down to paint hte bottom?!

It's a great way to paint the bottom, and can be done easily with a shopping cart! I did take the engine, gas tank, ect out before hand. I wouldn't flip it upsidedown with the engine hanging there.

JoeZ

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Here's the most recent pictures of the project. The paint that I used was automotive candy red with metalflake. It turned out to be very difficult to paint / cover, but I'm satisfied. Took 8 cans of red. I'm going to wetsand and clearcoat today. The engine paint is also new - what a job.

JS550 - all the goodies
    Formula 272 - Twin LT1's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information