» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Re: Fiberglass Repair Instructions

I can tell from these pics. I need a lot better camera.....WOW

Can you show me how this goes together? From what I can see, and how I understand it, I would just put two layers of Mat on the inside and put it back together... BUt I can't really tell how much stress this part see since i can't see how it works.
    "Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life!" -Anonymous

Frequent Poster

This is the storage cover on the front of the ski. The spring seams to have alot of tension on it. I'm thinking that that is why it striped out (that and lack of maintance by the previous owner). The first pic. is just an overall of where it goes.
    The subsequent pictures are of the spring (front and back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm, there's really not an easy fix for that. That hinge area is under a lot of stress due to the leverage the hinge design creates.

The BEST solution would be replacement, but if thats not an option then it can be fixed.

In order for the repair to be solid and limit the chances of it re-cracking, the damaged area needs to be completely removed. Then you'll need to create a backing over the hole, I've used Duct-Tape in the past. Stretch it tight! From there you'll be cutting sections of mat and cloth to lay into the hole in alternating layers, starting with mat, let each layer get tacky before adding the next. USE EPOXY RESIN. After about 3 layers I would suggest laminating some nuts in place for the hinge bolts to attach to. Get everything lined up like it needs to be and then super glue the nuts to the repair. This is where I get cheap, I then use drinking straws or something similar to hold those holes open and clean!!! Cut the straw sections about 2 inches long and glue them to the top of the nuts, CENTERED. Make certain to get a bead of glue all the way around the base so no resin gets into the threads of the nuts. Then continue adding your alternating layers of material, cutting holes for where the straws pass through.

Once you've gotten at least 6 layers total you can stop, but I suggest to keep going until the repair is flush with the surrounding area. On the final layer make certain to overlap the repair by about 2 inches. At this point just let everything dry, should take a day or two for a complete cure. Go back and peel/sand of the Duct-Tape and get out you're Bondo! Using the bondo, fill in any low spots on the inside and out and then paint. Regarding the straws, once the resin has cured you can cut them off flush with the repair.

At this point you should have a pretty solid mounting location for that hinge, and the bolts should have some good threads to grab.

Told ya it was gonna be hard!
    Last edited by knightofwyte; 08-27-2007 at 08:29 AM.
    "Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life!" -Anonymous

Frequent Poster

Thanks Knight,
    I knew it was not going to be easy....anyone want a project? j/k
    The only part I was wondering about was the Epoxy Resin. Now to find out where to get it. Will the Auto paint store have this or will I need to go a boat repair place to purchase that?

Boat shop most likely, and you can find it online pretty easily. If you have time to wait for shipping, try www.shopmaninc.com

Frequent Poster

Hey Knight,
    I found the EPOXY RESIN at "Academy" sporting goods of all places. I layed down the Epoxy and then squeeged in 2 layers of cloth. I took your ideal of using a straw and kind of expanded on it. Instead of using a straw to mark and hold the holes I used some Rubber tubing with an outside dimension just a little smaller then the screws. It set up all day and I tried one of the screws just as a test.....looks like it is going to work well and hold....but....only time will tell. Thanks for the explination and patience. Brian

I asked this before on another section of the forum, but I want to see what you would suggest.
    When I baught my 94 WB1 it had this damage to the vein on the bottom of my hull.
    It does not leak, but I would like to build it back up and cover it with gelcoat before it gets really bad.

The damage measures 5" long by 3/8" to 1/2" at its widest point.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1994 B1 WaveBlaster

That doesn't look like there's any actual damage to the fiberglass, just to the outer layer which is gelcoat.

I would simply get some white marine tex, apply it and then sand it to shape once it's cured.

Thank you for the reply.

Where can I fin this marine tex ?
    Is marine tex thick or is it like a putty ?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by knightofwyte
    That doesn't look like there's any actual damage to the fiberglass, just to the outer layer which is gelcoat.

I would simply get some white marine tex, apply it and then sand it to shape once it's cured.
    1994 B1 WaveBlaster

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information