Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Top Dog

1990 650SX Freestyle Project

I can finally begin my 650SX rebuild. I am going to need a lot of help when it comes to the boring and the carb stuff, but the rest I think I can handle.

Yes, the ski is in my living room, the picture is not wrong. I live in an apartment with no useable garage, so thats my next best thing. I had 3 friends help me stand it up in the elevator and we got it up 3 floors and in with minimal exposure!! (I hope nobody on here works at my apt. complex and recognizes the ski, or I might be moving in with one of you guys!!!)

I started with a very documented tear down. I took pics of every piece before and after I took it out, then labeled each piece(things like fuel lines and electrical wires, etc), other than the obvious. I am going to try to document every step and post it on here, and hopefully I can get some help from you guys. Here are a few pics just for entertainment. Sorry the pics are small, I took them with my cell. My wife has the digi cam.

Does anyone know what kind of exhaust this is??
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Guru

Re: 1990 650SX Freestyle Project

exhaust looks stock.

good luck on the rebuild.

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by black kawi
    exhaust looks stock.

good luck on the rebuild.
    I am pretty sure its not stock, as I had an 87 650 and this is a bit louder. The other one had a "2-part" exhaust, that I know was stock. it was split in the middle, joined with a rubber coupler.

I dream skis

What are you after and your plans?

Top Dog

I am going to start by stripping the entire ski down to bare hull. everything out and off.

As for the motor,I have about 115-120psi in each, so I am after a topend rebuild, I am thinking minimal overbore, as it is my first rebuild so I better leave room for more bore!! I am thinking about milling the stock head a bit for higher compression, as I think it will be cheaper than buying a new one. replacing all the plumbing and fuel lines with colored silicone lines. Adding as much cooling as possible and multiple pissers. And possibly a new carb. (38? 44?)

As for the hull I am going to do some body mods (of which I dont want to reveal until the finished project , some foot holds, new turf all the way around, 0 degree bars, and have a shop shoot an undetermined color, both inside and out.

I am hoping to stretch this project out all winter, as to keep an eye out for deals on parts(keep the price down). I want to keep this as reasonably priced as possible, and if I had to put a number on it about $500 or so.

The ski ran as it was (but low compression), and as you can see in the picture, was not in real bad need of paint, but I always seem to like my stuff modded and flawless!! Bad habbit I know.

I am sure I will think of more as the project goes on. I will keep this as updated as possible cuz I always like to follow other's builds and learn from their ideas and mistakes!!

that is definately not the stock exhaust, maybe mariner...doesn't look familiar. man, good luck on keeping that $500 budget, just between the top end rebuild and footholds your probably looking at that much....i'd definately keep your eye out for some cheap top end kits. good luck.

diesel
    '95 750 SXi 800 zforce limited setup.....its finally alive
    '94 750 SX bone stock w/ a few handling mods
    '91 650 SX modded (just installed 750 motor....rips now)
    '04 SXR blew her to smitherings.....reborn with a 850 big bore
    www.zforcemotorsports.com

Top Dog

I am hoping to save the most money on my paint prep work. I am going to do everything but the paint and clear. I found a place on ebay that will bore for $35 per hole and like $160 for a top end rebuild kit (.050), but I have recently found some bad feed back about them on here so I dont know. maybe its worth spending the money on SBT or Group K!? How much could a set of foot holds and the stuff to install run? and where could I look to find them?
    Thanks

I dream skis

Here is my price breakdown for my foothold install.

Rickters: 140.00
    2 sheets of turf (did rails as well): 120.00
    Fiberglass, epoxy, brushes, weldwood, misc: Would have to say around 80-90.00

So about 350.00.

There goes half of your $$

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home yamanube's Avatar

You can sometimes find good deals on footholds, I got a set of Rickters for $70 earlier in the season. That is my winter project, that is the ONLY nice thing about riding in the midwest, if I lived down south my ski would only get worked on if it broke in half!

there is a guy in town here that could do the top end for you. all you'd have to do is send your cylinder and he'd match a set of pistons up for you and bore them out. he charges $50/hole and i think he can get a set of wsm pistons for about $125. it's a little more than what you stated above but this guy is one of the best around. if you want more info let me know.

diesel
    '95 750 SXi 800 zforce limited setup.....its finally alive
    '94 750 SX bone stock w/ a few handling mods
    '91 650 SX modded (just installed 750 motor....rips now)
    '04 SXR blew her to smitherings.....reborn with a 850 big bore
    www.zforcemotorsports.com

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information