User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Another 550 Starting prob... Already searched... HELP!!

Have an 89 550 All stock with K&N Flame arrestor is all. Checked Compression got 110 in each cylinder... Pulse line appears to be good, Just took carb apart and cleaned thoroughly, Getting fuel through main supply, set carb setting to what i found on here in another post. Good Spark, New plugs. Seems to maybe not be getting fuel... when pouring fuel in top of carb it sputters and somewhat runs, but then dies, so assuming fuel problem, bypassed the fuel filter still n luck... would the rev limiter have anything to do with this... it might just be carb tho because fuel is def getting to carb through mainline... could someone else post 550 carb setting to verify I am at a good starting point? Fuel air seperator also has been bypassed. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Tryin to get it out on the lake tomorrow to ride with my buddy.

Robert

Re: Another 550 Starting prob... Already searched... HELP!!

the couple of kawis I messed with I was always told to back them out 2 1/2 turns then work your way back in low speed first then the hi

check ur pulse line
    u could of messed something up in the carb rebuild
    YES THAT IS A SEAL DRINKING BEER ON A BOAT

PWCToday Newbie

pulse line has been checked as stated above in the post... and when you say could have messed somethin up in carb rebuild... what are u referring to? i have done it before and took it apart and payed close attention and am sure it is back the way it came apart... but lemme know what might have happpened jsut so i can check to be sure... thanks for the help

PWCToday Newbie

Forgot to mention that it keeps backfiring outta the carb while tryin to start it with spark arestor off and dripping fuel directly into carb... if that helps with the diagnostics at all

back firing through carb means timing is off
    u could have messed up the rubber diaphragm in the carb
    i have done that before
    i would open and recheck
    YES THAT IS A SEAL DRINKING BEER ON A BOAT

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

I bought my 1989 boat new and it had 120 PSI compression. Milled the head and got 140. If this is all original, 110 would not be bad for such an old motor. Just because you have compression it does not mean you are compressing the right gases.

Need some more history on this engine. Is it all original? If so, it needs a rebuild. Crank seals will be toast by know and not hold the A/F charge. It might start on the trailer but not in the water.

I think the carb backfire is the result of a slow turning starter and excessive fuel dumped down the carb.

PWCToday Newbie

Well I believe the motor has been rebuilt once about 2 years ago is what previous owner said. So if thats the case then that might be the problem having air leaks.

As for slow turning starter... I have been using my trucks battery while running with jumper cables to try n start it. id imagine that is enough juice to get it to fire but then again it could be a bad starter by now.

Thanks for the help guys. Ill go take carb apart and check it out one more time. Keep the ideas commin
    gotta get this thing runnin

PWCToday Newbie

Went out and re pressure tested it and got 129 to 130 for both cylinders with jumper cable from truck power, WOT and turned it over for about 5 seconds with cylinder test side spark plug grounded... seems really good.

Checked Carb again and is nice n clean and appears to be in working condition... So i guess next check you think is timing?

PWCToday Newbie

ok.... found out the woodruff key was broken and flywheel was slippin all over the place... so its running now... somewhat... Thanks for the help guys. BUT.... still got a problem... seems to have a needle sticking in the carb.... it will just take off and wind out with no throttle after getting it started... cleaned the whole thing with carb cleaner... (2 times) and double checked parts... all needles are smooth with no grooving so shouldnt be getting stuck??

when looking at the mainjet spring...it is pushing slight pressure on the needle at all times. Is that right? or is that slightly opening the jet causing fuel to run in? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information