User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

99 GTX 800 RFI charging problems

Hello all. I had a guy bring in a pair of 99 RFI 800 GTX's both with charging problems. They have been sitting around for a while. I replaced both batteries with new ones before I started any trouble shooting.
    Ski A is over charging. It will make 17v when it's reved up, I think all it needs is a rectifier.
    Ski B doesn't charge at all, it has about a 1/2 volt drop from the batt voltage reading with the ski off. I thought this one might have a bad stator as the rectifier from ski A makes no improvement. I ohmed out the stator and it checks ok through the 3 coils and none of them are shorted to ground. I ran the ski and checked the ac voltage on all 3 legs and with the ski reved up they all make 80vac. Maybe a rectifier is all this one needs too. I ordered 1 rectifier and will try it in both positions when it arrives.
    This ski (B) also does not like to idle, it will rev up ok and seems to run good with a little throtle. I haven't taken any action on this problem yet. The things that come to mind are : stale fuel, throttle rigging, injectors ( or what ever this engine has) but I thought I might get som ideas from you all on that issue as well.
    I have never serviced this particular engine before but I understand that the charging system is a weak point. My question is this: as a matter of practice should a guy simply change both the stator and rectifier when trying to correct charging problems on the RFI 800's ?

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

Re: 99 GTX 800 RFI charging problems

No. I would not just change the stator. I would try the new rectifier/regulator first, as this usually fixes a charging problem in an RFI.
    As for the rough idle, first try new sparkplugs. If that doesn't cure it, then look deeper.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

I dream skis

Change the rectifier. As for the rough idle, running off of a weak battery can equal weak spark which cause bad plugs.

PWCToday Newbie

Just a note: The no idle situation was due to the TPS connector being installed on the ATS sensor and vise versa. After I figured that out and put the connectors on the proper sensors it ran great. John

Thread Information