Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

waveraider 1100 Electrical problems

Hi guys i really need some help here...yesterday i was riding my Yami waveraider 1100 (Triple) while after 15 minutes into the ride all of a sudden my guage cluster went off...but the ski kept running ok...then after a few minutes i lost power although the ski was still runnning it was really sluggish but i managed to make it to the slipway....when i reached the slipway i hit the STOP button to turn off the engine but nothing happened ..the engine kept running..i end it up having to pull the spark plug cables to switch it off....as soon as i pulled it out off the water i tried to fire it up again but nothing happened ..it was like if the battery was dissconected....no electrical power at all...anybody has an idea what could have happened or what i should check for....sometimes it does fire up but gauges are still off and as soon as i hit the accelarotor it dies...and then electrcial power is lost again ,it wont turn over again...Thanks Mark...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home David3aces's Avatar

Re: waveraider 1100 Electrical problems

Ground wire failed somewhere. Affecting all these individual circuits.

Managed to find a corroded wire not making contact on the starter button...so the starting problem is solved..now it fires up straight away..but it still wont stop running when i push the STOP button....and gauges are still not working....tried to find any bad ground cables but no luck till now....could it be something to do with the ignition system?

when running, the handle switch connects the white wire to ground (black)
    Start ski with white/black wire connecter from handle stich unplugged and try to kill engine by connecting white to black on engine side of connector. This should kill engine. If not, check resistance between that black wire and ground.

I think I have an extra new complete wiring harness for the Raider 1100 if you find that you need one. It won't replace the wiring in the kill switch though...
    1997 Yamaha GP 1200 w/ motor mods
    1996 Yamaha WaveRaider 1100 back to stock, for sale soon!

Quote Originally Posted by David3aces
    when running, the handle switch connects the white wire to ground (black)
    Start ski with white/black wire connecter from handle stich unplugged and try to kill engine by connecting white to black on engine side of connector. This should kill engine. If not, check resistance between that black wire and ground.
    Hey Dave thanks for your help buddy ..you were 100% right it appears to be a grounding issue...cause today i discovered the electrical box has lost its ground for some strange reason...yesterday i tried connecting a direct ground wire from the engine body to the black ground wire going to the gauges...and yes... everything came ON again..gauges are working....the engine fired up and i could kill it from the STOP Button as well....now the only thing i need to do is trace were the ground has gone bad..Thanks guys!...

Found this circuit diagram and everything makes more sense now.......I think my problematic earth cable is the one highlighted in RED and the possible problem is where i highlighted in Blue...but i need to trace where the earth point is....my only concern is if the CDI had a bad earth would the ski still run?...although it was running with quite limited power about 15mile/hr on full throttle...

hey 100points to David3Aces ... i found the fault, you were 100% right buddy...it was a broken earth wire see the picture below...I owe you a beer..... Cheers Mark

Those weeks at Yamaha electrical schools in the 80s have finally paid off. A beer!

congrats, and thanks for posting back your findings
    1997 Yamaha GP 1200 w/ motor mods
    1996 Yamaha WaveRaider 1100 back to stock, for sale soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information