Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Review of worx sponsons on ZXI

I decided i had had enough of my piss poor handling and porposing zxi. So I ordered a set of worx sponsons (ebay) well they showed up today so i installed them and couldn't resist testing them out.

First off installation is easy, pull off the old ones and clean up any remaining silicon. Next open up the worx sponsons and lay the appropriate set on each side of the ski (it comes with a spacer and the sponson) . There are 2 settings an "intermediate" and a "race" setting. I chose the race setting right from the start.

Put some silicon in each of the thread holes and also apply a thin layer to the spacer on the side that will go on the hull of the ski. The worx sponsons only use the three rearmost holes for mounting. The front remaining hole gets filled with a screw. I found it easiest to put the fin and spacer plate togeter and put the provided screws through before smacking it to the side of the ski. Line up all holes and screw it down lightly. After all threads are started, tighten them up good and snug.

Now for the handling. Let me say this mod is fantastic, it handles exponentially better than stock. No more unexpected sliding and much more predictable and firm turning. Be careful at first though because the difference is night and day. As for the porposing of the zxi, it is now a thing of the past. I was able to sit on the back of the seat and ride at any throttle/trim position with no porposing what so ever. As for top speed, according to the stock speedo, there is no difference in top speed. The guage read the same it always does with the trim all the way up at full throttle on calm water. I also got to test them out in the chop and i must say the ski is much more stable.

If anyone is thinking about this mod do not hesitate, you will not regret it. If there are any questions about this shoot them this way, i'll answer as best i can.

Nate

Oh yeah, next up i will be installing a worx intake grate. I've already started removing the old one, but as suspected it is stuck. I've got penetrating oil on it now and am confident it will be off tomorrow. I'll keep everone posted.
    02 Zxi 1100 Going back to stock
    98 GP1200 Stock
    94 Mastercraft Prostar190 w/LT-1
    01 Sxi Pro w/many mods!!!

Frequent Poster

Re: Review of worx sponsons on ZXI

You'll be equally amazed at how well the ski hooks up in choppy water after installing the worx intake grate. Same one I'm using.

PWCToday Newbie

I have a similar experience but with Twist sponsons. I'm riding a 900 ZXI, all stock and was sick of porposing. I found the Twist sponsons on Ebay, paid like $50 for the set. Bolted them on... virtually EVERY complaint I had about the ZXI has now been eliminated! I have to try REALLY hard to get the thing to porpose now... trim all the way up, sit way back on the seat, hope for heavy chop in the water, then maybe it'll porpose.

Turning and handling is MUCH tighter now too. If I'm not ready and really hanging on, it will throw me off if I corner too fast! Skidding the back end out??? Can't easily do it any more! WOW, what a difference such a small change makes!

ZXIMan's old posts suggest also removing the pump wedge and extending the nozzle, but I have no need to do those mods now!

By the way, the Twist sponsons have "slots" to adjust the height of them as opposed to the 2 sets of holes on the Worx ones, also the Twist ones use all 4 holes (they are longer than the Worx). Good luck finding them though, they went out of business years ago. Occasionally they show up on EBay, that's where I got mine about a month ago.

I hope this info helps someone out!
    DoC

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wetjet87's Avatar

Thanks for the post - now I need to find some, preferably cheap ... lol

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by RAT454
    You'll be equally amazed at how well the ski hooks up in choppy water after installing the worx intake grate. Same one I'm using.
    any trick to getting the old grate out, or is it just alot of prying and penetrating oil? My new grate isn't here yet so i'm working it at a leisurely pace, things might change tomorrow though. Maybe i'll just take it for a ride with the intake grate screws out and see if it just falls off
    98 GP1200 Stock

PWCToday Regular

doc i was looking for a pair of those too, but was tired of searching. Spent some extra money but oh well, they work for me
    98 GP1200 Stock

PWCToday Newbie

Yea, I just got lucky... I just was browsing ebay and they poped up.

Anyway, if anyone else is looking... there's a almost complete 900 zxi on ebay right now, it's got I think a blown engine and parts missing so it's only good for parts but if you look at the pictures, it's got Twist sponsons installed... maybe you can make a deal with the seller or whoever picks up the entire thing for just the sponsons.

here's a link to the ad on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/1996-Kawasaki-900...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope it helps someone out there...
    DoC

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by NatesGr8
    Quote Originally Posted by RAT454
    any trick to getting the old grate out, or is it just alot of prying and penetrating oil? My new grate isn't here yet so i'm working it at a leisurely pace, things might change tomorrow though. Maybe i'll just take it for a ride with the intake grate screws out and see if it just falls off
    I've read where people have trouble getting their grates out. Mine came right out. Maybe its a saltwater corrosion thing??

PWCToday Newbie

I had the worx sponsons put on my 750zxi at the beginning of this summer. NIGHT and DAY difference! I'm kicking myself that I didn't make the change back in 1997.

In addition, I put on an Ocean Pro scoop grate and rideplate. I was able to buy them directly from Ocean Pro's ebay site (Riva told me they went out of business...)

Quote Originally Posted by English
    In addition, I put on an Ocean Pro scoop grate and rideplate. I was able to buy them directly from Ocean Pro's ebay site (Riva told me they went out of business...)
    It appears that Ocean Pro is looking for warehouse space and possible investment opportunities based on a post I saw on the forum today.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information