Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shaun B.

2005 VX110 wear ring

I just bought a 2005 VX110 form a rental place With two mounths warranty left on it.I took it to yamaha to put it in the shop because it is not charging.I had the guy look at the wear ring and he said it was way warn out...I this some thing I can do myself or do I need to let them do it?Do you have to have any special tools or anything?

Shaun B.

Re: 2005 VX110 wear ring

ttt

How many hours are on it? And if it is still under warranty I would see if the dealer can do it.
    '98 XL 760
    '87 650 SX
    '81 Glastron SSV-176 Johnson 115

As far as I know rental Ski's only have a 3 month warranty, and if the wear ring needs replaced, shouldn't you let them fix it? (if it's still under warranty)
    SUR #33
    Ski-less again this year...

1968 Sea-Ray SRV185

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home RiverDad's Avatar

To gauge the wear it really needs to measured with feeler gauges. There is a spec clearance between the impeller and the ring. If its exceeds this it needs replacing.

If it was so worn you could look in there and see a huge clearance or a worn step in the wear ring the ski would be cavitating madly !!!

We are talking in the order of .006-.010 inch here !! (6 to 10 thousandths of an inch).

Ask them what the measured clearance was .... (smile)

Anthony
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

Shaun B.

ok as far as warranty.....Yamaha does not warranty this item any more because it is a wearable item.Like cable and other such.there is abot .040 in between the ring and the blade...Not sure if it is the blade or the ring or both .They want $850 to do both.If I can stroke a 351 winsor to 426 in's I can do this.Just not sure what tools I will need......

Shaun B.

ttt

I have not pulled a pump on a VX but have done the GP/FX many times.

Not very difficult at all ... just a few things regarding good mechanical practice to reassemble it. Things like torque wrench, using the recommended locking compounds, cleaning the components (machined faces, fasteners etc) well before application of the compounds. The right grease on the shaft splines. A shaft spline fitted "holder" to remove the impeller if fitting a new one. Use acetone to remove factory compound on the machined pump assemblies "faces" ... only go back one way as they are pinned (dowls).

Can you feel a "lip" at all in the wear ring ? There is an area of the front of the wear ring that is not swept by the impeller so it stays "factory" diameter. If no lip there, wear ring is still probably good if no gouges further rearward. The impeller might only need replacing then ?

The wear ring itself is pressed into the wear ring member on the pump assembly. Should be stainless steel. Easier to fit a new assembly than remove and press in a new wear ring sleeve (for most).

A good factory service manual is a great advantage (must for torque settings) !!! A set of metric spanners and sockets is needed as well. A metric allen key set also.

.040 impeller clearance is excessive ... .024 is the 155's limit.

Regards
    Anthony
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

Shaun B.

Kool thanks for all the info....I do not have it pulled out yet but will check for a lip.Thanks again.

Shaun,

Here is a couple of pics of my 05 FX wear ring at 140 hrs. You can see the area of the liner (wear ring) that is not swept. This one had no lip at 140 hrs but was always beached with the motor off very early.

In the pic with the impeller in ... you can see factory gap ... which was still way in spec. Can see the unswept area better as well.

Anthony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information