pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Starter solenoid?

This past ride on my 95 hx, the start button isnt working everytime you hit it. Maybe every 3 or 4 times it works. But when it doesnt work, there is a clicking. Is the solenoid going bad?

Brian

lake_eerie

Re: Starter solenoid?

Could be......but check your connections at the starter also. A bad connection there will cause your symptoms. Could be the starter itself also. Assuming your solenoid IS clicking each time you hit the button. Check the starter wire side of the solenoid for power when the start button is pushed.

EWG

The battery may be going on its way out also.

Doesnt sound like a battery issue since it will work every once in a while...Its either a bad ground...remove the one on the starter clean it then reinstall....or it is indeed your starter selenoid going **** up...Doesnt sound like its the switch since a clicking can be heard eveytime its pushed.

If you fix it, lemme know. I've never had a lawnmower that didn't do this... on a ski, I guess it sucks you can't womp on it easily with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by travis6509
    If you fix it, lemme know. I've never had a lawnmower that didn't do this... on a ski, I guess it sucks you can't womp on it easily with a hammer.
    LOL when you have to hit it with a hammer its time to replace it...

I dream skis

the piece on the handle bar is a housing for the start switch. one way to check the start switch is to remove the handle bar grip (remove the end bolt on the grip), loosen the handle bar pads (remove the 4 screws), then slide the housing down the handle bar until you can see the small screw holding the start switch in the housing. remove this small screw and then the start switch can be removed. you can then test the start switch easier to determine if your problem is a broken housing or a broken start switch.

this is going by memory, I have not done this in a while.
    Please excuse some of my replies, my English is not very good so I may misunderstand your question or my reply to your question may not make sense.

Or you can unplug the hot side of the small wires on the starter selenoid in the electrical box....plug that end into a meter and the other end of the meter to the battery ground...put the meter on dc volts...and push the starter button if you see voltage it works...and while your there you can inspect and test the starter selenoid since your already in the electrical box instead of tearing the handlebars apart...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Dont bother testing the switch as the solenoid is clicking so that tells you the switch is working.

Bad connections,bad starter solenoid,starter starting to go.

Do what swiftman said,check the power going to the starter right off the solenoid,if it clicks but is sending power down to the starter then its a bad starter or ground,if it dosent send power then its the solenoid.

You dont even need a meter just a 12volt test light will do.

Will check it out later, thanks.

Thread Information