Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RAVE valve is melted....

Hello,

I just bought a 97 seadoo Xp with the 787 motor. I am new to this whole jetski thing, but i am learning fairly quicky. so, my jetski seems to be bogging down when i take off from a dead stop everytime after i start the thing, so i figured id take out the RAVE valves and clean them. underneath the caps was all oil and gunk, i also noticed that all the plastic underneath one of the caps was completely melted away! any clue what could have melted the bottom plastic part of the rave valve? and is this a big problem?

any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

PWCToday Regular

Re: RAVE valve is melted....

Same problem last year. I had the o-ring installed wrong caused the plastic to melt. Is the metal valve melted yet? As far as damage piston rings on mine where smashed from the rave Eventually lead to the rave valve stem breaking and falling into the cylinder. You can buy rebuild kits from the web.

I doubt the bog is from the melted valve.

Add me to the list of poeple who have had this problem. It caused a boggin situation on mine but not from a dead stop. If I went fast for a while the coasted or cruised and hammered the throttle again it would almost stall. I don't know what the connection was but it came and went with the valve problem.

I was told that the stems can gets loose in the housings and allow too much hot air in. I could see how a failed o-ring could cause this too or a leaky bellow. Mine finally melted to the point where the spring pushed thru it.

Exhaust valves: the best and worst things that have ever happened to a 2-stroke engine.

maybe ill just rebuild them both and then see what happens. but i also noiced that there is alot of oil around where the valves are on the top of the engine. is that normal? and in an unrelated question, does anyone know exactly how to correctly set the oil/fuel mixture pin?

PWCToday Regular

Yes that is normal if the rave valve is melted and allowing oil gas and goo out onto the engine. A bad rave valve is not normal and should not be ignored. The oil pump cable is set to a little line. As the throttle is applied the cable will increase the flow of the pump.

Final Synchronization
    Eliminate throttle cable free-play by depressing
    throttle lever until a slight resistance is felt. In this
    position, marks on pump body and lever must align.
    NOTE: A mirror may be used to facilitate this verification.
    If necessary, turn cable adjustment screw to obtain
    pump mark alignment. Refer to above illustrations.
    Tighten jam nut and recheck alignment marks.

From the manual every owner should get one.

PWCToday Newbie

Hey Im glad to know Im not the only one with that problem.....I just repaced my whole engine because of a bad RAVE. The ring on the RAVE shaft broke off and the valve itself fell into the cylinder and the piston hit it....well the rest is history. As far as the "bogging" you were talking about, mine didnt really bog down it was just weak on bottom end and would NOT get up to more than about 45 mph and if any of you guys have ever rode a 96xp you know they will run almost 60 on top end in smooth water. And to you kevinS you are right "Exhaust valves: the best and worst things that have ever happened to a 2-stroke engine."
    Find em HOT, ride em HARD, leave em WET

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

The rave valve broke because the problems with the rave valve had been there long enough to cause the valve to get overheated, which in effect heat treated it and made it brittle.

The service manual calls for regulairly servicing of the rave valves. Now you know why.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

your best bet is to buy two new valves and housings, and valve caps. and bellows if its bad. and yes you should pull the exhaust/cyls to see if it did damage the piston. the valve stems wear in the housings and allow exhaust gas by

Tech Guru PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Watercraft Magic's Avatar

If it broke and dropped, it did major damage to the piston.
    email Chris at Watercraft Magic cdofixr1@live.com

Well, I guess you can add me to the list of victums. Mines at the shop right now getting "estimated". I pulled the head and the front piston an head are all banged up. didn't know what could have caused that....guess I have a good Idea now. Maybe I'll make it a winter project. Damn. I hate to think of the rest of the summer without a ski
    1997 SeaDoo GTX
    1997 XP (For Sale)
    2008 SeaDoo Wake Addition
    www.reelactionphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information