User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Duchess

Kaw ZXI 1100 won't start

My 1996 jetski was running fine one day, took it out the next and it won't start. It makes a click noise.

I don't what is the problem and I don't want to take it to the mechanic to be ripped off without knowing some type of information.

Anyone can help?

PWCToday Regular

Re: Kaw ZXI 1100 won't start

Check battery voltage is about all I can think of.

Thomas Dorris
    2000 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi

Duchess

Yeah, I did that and the battery is fully charged and in good shape. I think something is not connected to get a full turn over of the motor/ starter or something.
    Thanks

If the battery is good the next place to check is the starter solenoid in the CDI box. Folow the positive batery cable (red) from the battery to the terminal on the CDI box. Right next to it is another red cable that goes to the starter. If you have a voltmeter you can check to see if your are getting voltage (12V) on the starter side when you hit the start switch.

I had one on a 95 STS that some how lossened up enough that the post on the starter side of the solenoid wasn't making contact. I tightened it up and was back in business.

PWCToday Regular

Another recent post with a similar problem turned out to be a loose negative battery terminal connection. So I'm with hirschr, start checking that all the connections are tight and that you're getting full battery voltage where you would expect it.

Thomas Dorris
    2000 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi

Duchess

Ok did that and all the cables are connected tight. Still no start. The starter silver sticking out is looking like it want to turn but it's not.

PWCToday Regular

Did you measure voltage at the starter harness while you hit the starter button? Is it seeing full battery voltage? If so, the problem is likely to be a bad starter I suppose. If not, then you have to back track to figure out why it's not getting full voltage.

Thomas Dorris
    2000 Kawasaki 1100 ZXi

I dream skis

Another place to ckeck would be your bendix. It could be locked up. This is what happened when I had my ZXi. Kind-of the same symptoms. It made a click and nothing. A easy way to check is to take off the seat and listen for a spinning/whinning sound when you push the start button.

Duchess

Yeah the battery voltage was full, I am thinking it may be the starter or the bendix has gone bad.
    I raised the seat and was looking for the spinning, but nothing still just click.
    Thanks guys

Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine by hand (at the coupler). Hoping the crank hasn't seized on ya... Also, if you turn it backwords a jammed bendix will usually let go.

Thread Information