Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Let the ski float at our slip?

Just wondering on what you guys think about leaving our ski float at the slip through the week while we are not there. My family has a houseboat and are picking up an stx15 tomorrow. Most of the other houseboats at our marina have ramps for there ski's but my parents doesnt yet. They were contemplating just leaving the ski float behind there houseboat all the time, including through the week while they are not there. I dont think its a good idea, waves/chop starts coming in or a big storm wouldnt it start to take on water?

Just looking for your input... Thanks!

Re: Let the ski float at our slip?

I think its a bad idea. I've left skis in the water next to my boat over a weekend, but I checked on them every day. I'd be nervous about leaving it in that long with no one keeping an eye on it.

If nothing else, it could get banged up hitting the houseboat.

Isn't there a marina that will rent you a spot for it for the week?

Blasterboy44

It will only take on water if thewater is like major splashing and if it has a hole or a leak it will be on the bttom when you come back. If it salt water things may start to grow on the sides. But ive left my blaster in for 3 days and no problem.

PWCToday Regular

I agree oldjunk. Leaving a ski on the water sounds tempting but I would not recommend it. As you are aware, things seem to happen when you are not watching. A seal could fail or some "funny guy" can pull the plug and you return to a sunk boat. Worst yet it can just disappear. Either trailer it or find an alternative storage area where someone could keep an "eye" on it for you.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ROBOEI
    I agree oldjunk. Leaving a ski on the water sounds tempting but I would not recommend it. As you are aware, things seem to happen when you are not watching. A seal could fail or some "funny guy" can pull the plug and you return to a sunk boat. Worst yet it can just disappear. Either trailer it or find an alternative storage area where someone could keep an "eye" on it for you.
    i dont want them to leave it there... i am looking for "ammo" to support my fight. I think its an all around bad idea.

1969iggy

I think it depends on how it is tied up. If done properly, it should be OK.

Also, what kind of water you on?

Saltwater? TAKE IT OUT. Bigger waves and saltwater are trouble.

Freshwater? If the lake isn't too big or you have a protected bay, it should be all right. If you are on lake michigan, that can be as bad as the ocean.

On my lake, in my bay, the worst waves i get are maybe 2 feet. And that is windy/stormy.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 1969iggy
    I think it depends on how it is tied up. If done properly, it should be OK.

Also, what kind of water you on?

Saltwater? TAKE IT OUT. Bigger waves and saltwater are trouble.

Freshwater? If the lake isn't too big or you have a protected bay, it should be all right. If you are on lake michigan, that can be as bad as the ocean.

On my lake, in my bay, the worst waves i get are maybe 2 feet. And that is windy/stormy.
    its on a lake, but its not a cove... the slip the houseboat is in is at the very end of the marina too, so it gets the waves first.

Just tell them it will get stolen. It doesn't have a key and it cost 10 grand. That sounds like a bad combo to me.

Or just make something up like "The guy at the tackle shop says local kids come around and untie boats at night" or some bull**** like that.

PWCToday Newbie

this pic is old so i added (in green) the location of the dock and the boat (star)

mikey20x

Just call a dealer and get a quote on a rebuilt motor,that should scare them enough.I have seen many posts on here about how to bail water out of an engine after it sat in the water overnight basically its a crap shoot just depends if your the gambling type .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information