Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

moving from michigan

I was wondering if you all could help me out. I'm moving to Houston from Michigan and wanted to know how the riding was in Galveston. I've searched the forum but haven't had much luck. How are the conditions on the gulf? If I live in Houston/Sugarland is it worth the trip to the gulf? I ride (2005 SJ) on Lake Michigan for the most part--so I'm looking forward to riding in the Gulf.
    Any info you guys have is much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: moving from michigan

There are a lot better places to ride than Galveston (IMO).
    If you ride a stand-up, then the surf is ok. But of course, there's Clear Lake, The San Jacinto river (where I ride), Lake Houston, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn, etc..

Personally I don't care much for gulf riding around here, as the water is sand saturated, but quite a few folks on this board make the trip frequently.
    2 99 Polaris SLX's
    x-h20.com
    greenhulk.net

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the input. I do like the surf...but riding in sand saturated water sounds less than appealing. Does it beat up the pump badly? Is there anything specific I need to know before heading out there?

If you like the surf, just make sure you flush the ski thoroughly after each ride. Rinse out the inside of the hull, and spray down with a good rust inhibitor.

Sand-wise? Don't ride too close to shore, too often.
    Like I said, riding surf is a personal preference, and I chose not to. So I really can't offer the best of advice.

Also, before you pick your new location, consider the type of work you will be doing here. It's a long drive to the city, through some pretty crappy traffic.
    2 99 Polaris SLX's
    x-h20.com
    greenhulk.net

GlassUser

You don't want to ride on the gulf. Hit clear lake and go up some of the creeks. Clear creekwill work fine.

I dream skis

I live 200+ miles from the gulf and it's worth keeping an sj around just to ride there. I don't get my kicks in the lake at all. Houston is an easy day trip to the water.

PWCToday Newbie

I'm not a huge fan of riding on the inland lakes either. I'd rather ride in the surf (not that I'm that good at it though). When I do ride on the lakes in texas--what's good to ride around Richmond?
    Thanks for the help.

Hey SUBI..... welcome to Texas (if you move down here that is).

We ride Surfside and Crystal Beach. Both good places to catch some waves. I'm not as skilled on the 550 Stand-up, so I use my modified X-2 for max wave jumping.

Def need to rinse EVERYTHING after riding the gulf. AND if you ride into the beach or leave the ski in the surf zone while you layout..... pump will get caked with sand...... I've caked a few heads/ex mans up with sand in my early days.......

But the wave jumping is FANTASTIC..... if you have the right finese' you can get alot of air from small waves (2')...... and of course the sky is the limit on the bigger stuff.......

Let us know if you move down here.

Jeff

galveston is definately not and ideal place to ride in-- i went down there last summer and the water was so full or seaweed and other crap that i wouldnt dare take my ski out there

Galveston is a great place to ride on days when the surf is decent the seaweed is a little bit of a pain but jsut jump off clear it out and take off again no big deal... I wouldnt worry about the "sand soaked water" it have never bothered any of my skis and beach your ski doesnt hurt a thing again just make sure you rinse really good.... I usually use a high pressure hose to get all the sand/salt off everything......

I ride in saltwater all the time , just make sure you rinse your ride really good and wd-40 (whatever rust inhibitor u like) everything in your engine compartment and you will have nothing to worry about...

There are all kinds of places to ride in the houston area..
    I usually ride

Galveston/crystal beach , San Jacinto river, clear lake, clear creek, taylor lake, sometimes Silvan (SP) beach ,

I wouldnt count out the beach just because someone else says no way it bites, they might have gone on a day that it did bite, you just have to be real selective when you go....

My Gang usually doesnt think about the surf until it is at least 3-4ft and the wind is working in the right direction.. since it takes alot to mover 5 skis, sund shade, chairs, beach buggy and all that good stuff

SPEED is Easy !!!!

DARE for AIR !!!!!!!

2- 96 ZXI's
    90 x-2 project (A LOOOOOOOOONG way to Go!!!)
    86 x-2 (needs a 750 really bad)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information