Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

sltx 1050 weak spark

First, good day all.
    I put an sbt sb in an sltx 1050 last summer for a bud. i tested it all out and gave it back to him. Well, he cleaned the inside hull after he got it back (leaving the drain plug out). When he put it in the water the first time you know what happened. Long story short, another sb went in.
    Well, it hasn't run right since. 1800-2000 rpms is all. lots of smoke (in the water) I have gone thru the carbs and am satisfied they are ok. The bpr8es plugs do not have the "FAT BLUE" spark that they are supposed to. That's where my suspicion lies. I have changed the stator, cdi box, and coil. Still all the same, a thin blue spark on all three plugs. I removed the resistor caps from each plug and installed an adjustable spark checker to each, one at a time. If i move the gap to about .125 up, the spark does not bridge the gap. It will not run under load. Any help guys?gals?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: sltx 1050 weak spark

Check all your grounds, especially in the electrical box.
    I had a similar problem with the Hurricane, and chased it for hours.

Oh, and welcome to the boards. Where are you located?

Del
    2 99 Polaris SLX's
    x-h20.com
    greenhulk.net

Frequent Poster

trim the HTL leads

did you install a stator update kit? what year is the boat?

PWCToday Regular

Check the ground cable that goes to the block by the exhaust manifold. If it was a fresh sb, chances are they put a fresh coat of paint on it and painted right over the top of that boss. Make sure there is no paint on it.
    \"Slightly stock\"

Greetings again from Sumter, SC. The 1050 is a 99' model. The stator is the upgrade (i believe that is the only way you can get a new stator) I paused the project at the end of september last year so that my hair might grow back before winter.
    Now, w/a full head a hair, I'm tackling it again. I added extra grounds in the box last year. I will recheck all grounds again after work today. I trimmed back the high tension leads (spark plug wires) last year; and went as far as replacing all wires w/new resistor caps 5 ohm. I also believe it is a ground problem. I noticed once that the "black box" sparked orange when I rubbed it against the engine. hmmmmmmm
    Thanx for the rep's I'll double triple check grounds again and hopefully get back to yall in the late pm or am

Oops, it's a 96'. I checked the grounds in the box to no avail. I did forget to recheck the ground going to the block. this sucks............

BTW, i have scoured inside the hull of this thing for electical/ground problems. Does anyone think that corrosion in the mfd might cause this thing to go into limp mode? that's the only thing (that i can think of) that i haven't checked.
    D-

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home ph2ocraft's Avatar

twin, go back into the electrical box and check the back side of the board. If the box got water inside when the pwc took on water there's a good chance that rust and corrosion destroyed some contacts or connections. The board is very inexpensive and worth replacing even if it looks good.

Oh and welcome to the boards!!!!

Yeah, I pulled the board and yes, every one of the "rivets" are what i would call rust heads.".....do ya think?.....
    The actual spade terminals don't look awful bad. I unplugged and plugged back in all of them. If you think it may be neccessary, i humbly submit that i will replace the board.
    Did you catch my last post about possible mfd corrosion and the limp mode idea?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information