Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home RiverDad's Avatar

Re: Through Hull depth finder-FXHO

Even though I had the tow tap on my 05 for 140hrs and 15months it wasnt my idea. One of the guys at my pwc dealer was talking about it when I purchased my first FX.

I purchased and installed it though ... just to make sure I got the right Internal Diameter.

Anthony
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

Thanks Anthony!
    Rbi

'04 Yamaha FX 140
    '04 Honda R-12
    AWA Member

Member of http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/

No,
    I am not fishing, but I like to have an Idea of the depth of where I am waterskiing and wake boarding. I dont want to do a header into 4 feet of water.

Thank you!!! I have tried it in a similar spot, but am using epoxy. This is only working at idle and sitting still. My glue may be too brittle to allow transducer signals!
    Thanks again.
    BB

I have used 4 different epoxies and 5 different locations to glue it. I can read at idle and up to 3 or 4 mph, but not beyond. Strangely, the harder the epoxy, the worse the transducer works. I have now used clear silicone glue as Anthony suggested. I can wait to test it!!! I will let you know!
    BB

mikeyb

I know when using through hull transducers on boats you have to fill them with some type of oil or they do not work very good.

Thats one way to do them ... and prolly the most reliable for sounding for fish if it is your livelihood ... but it is messy !

The liquid method involves glueing a piece of pvc tubing in say 4inch (or whatever will fit the transducer in) to the floor of the boat or pwc. The top of this tube then gets a screw lid fitting (sewerage pipe type) glued on to the top.

You then drill the lid for the transducer to pass its attaching bolts (and feed wire) through and do them up ... you adjust it so the the transducer is suspended above the floor by 1/4 inch or so. You then fill the tube with an inert oil.

As air is the enemy of the transducers the oil eliminates the problem by always keeping a liquid under the transducer.

As marine sealant is very dense (denser than oil) the sealant is a good transmitter of transducer signal. I had a Yamaha boat that I installed a thru-hull transducer in with marine sealant and it held bottom at 35knots.

I did test the tranducer that I put in the FX by making a fibreglass hull section up and sealing the transducer onto it. It was then tested in my 4 ft deep rubbish bin by filling it with water.

It measured the depth so well you could record 3.1 ft and move it a bit and it would change to 3.2 ft ... bit over an inch ... not bad !!

I still have the panel somewhere ...I think ... might post a pic ...

Anthony
    05 Yamaha FX160 Cruiser -140 hrs Traded... 06 Yamaha Black Cruiser - 145hrs... 06 Yamaha 50th Ann Cruiser - 110hrs. In Australian waters ........

hydro20

My results are the same as Neptugian so far. The epoxy doen't seem to work even thu Norcross recomends it or a polyurathane glue. They say not to use silicone. I would think silicone would be the the better product. Let us know how the Silicone works. The polyurathane glue might be the next step.

Here is the test piece I did before installing in 05 FX. This is the piece that went in the bin full of water for testing .... same as Garmin do ... bin full of water.

The silicone didnt stick to the trans because I used food cling wrap to stop it on the test piece ... when in craft I just stuck it down with "white neutral cure silicone". When it came time to remove I used an old fishing knife and bent 2" of blade at 90 degress. Sliced through it as best I could and pulled it off after awhile.

Regards
    Anthony

resident guru

A thick layer of silicone will insulate the transducer and reduce its efficiency.
    What exactly does the IJSBA do?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information