Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: Through Hull depth finder-FXHO

Hi guys this is probably a long shot as this thread has not been added to in ages. I have a Kawasaki Ultra LX 2009 model. I have just finished flush mounting my Lowrance Elite 5 combo into the glove box lid on my ski. My question is transducer location? I have read over this thread a few times but did anyone get theirs to work on the kawasaki hull? I looked in the engine compartment in in the very middle of the ski a few inches in front of the engine looks to be a prime spot but it also looks like the fibreglass is over 1 inch thick. Any other suggestions? I do not really care about seeing the bottom at speed as I already have coordinates for my spots, once I get there there I want to be able to idle around and get the exact location. I have thought about sticking it on the outside near the speeedo wheel?? Any help would be great, thanks.

I don't know about the Kawasakis but I mounted a transducer for an Elite 5 in my Honda. I first installed it in front of the motor, it was fine stopped but moving I think there was too much turbulence, the meter would loose reading. I moved it behind the motor and it works much better. I can read bottom clearly up to around 35 mph unless I leave the water. The 1 inch thickness is not an issue as long as there are no air pockets. From what everyone is saying these things are not made from fiberglass they are some sort of plastic material.
    2009 Honda F15X (Mine)
    2007 Honda F12X (used to be mine, now the wife's)
    2000 Yamaha XL800 (Used to be the wife's, now a loaner)

PWCToday Newbie

To be honest I cannot be bothered testing all different spots for it to go in the hull so I am just going to mount it in the outside. Would it be better on the jet side of the original speedo wheel thing or the outer side? If I am going fishing I will leave it down but if going out with ski biscuits etc I will lift it up out the way as it hinges on the bracket. Is it ok to have the transducer stick quite low in the water so it avoids all the turbulence or is the drag not good for the transducer?

It will work best even with the bottom of the hull. Too low and it will create turbulence, too high and it will not be in the water at a cruise. I didn't want to drill a hole in my hull if I didn't have to so I tried in hull placement first.
    2009 Honda F15X (Mine)

PWCToday Newbie

I completed my install, just need to bolt the transducer on once I get some stainless. I ended up putting the transducer under the reboarding ladder so didnt need to drill any holes, I tested it and its great but the metal was not strong enough so will make it out of heavier gauge next time. See what you think of my install. Best thing is that I still have full use of my glovebox for water, sunblock and handheld VHF radio. When heading out into the chop I put the cover on to protect it from waves.

Photo 1 - cut out lid to fit sounder

Photo 2 - moulded marine epoxy

Photo 3 - All painted

Photo 4 - Battery clamped down on EVA foam and fused

Photo 5 - Waterproof socket under back seat hard wired to battery for charging

Photo 6 - Lowrance Elite 5 with Australian gold maps all fully installed.
    Last edited by gowie77; 07-28-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typing errors

Nice job on the flush mounting of the head unit. You said you didn't need to drill any holes for the ducer? How did you run the ducer cable in from outside?
    2009 Honda F15X (Mine)

PWCToday Newbie

Apologies for being a bit misleading. I meant I didnt have to drill holes to mount the ducer on the hull itself as I used existing holes. I did however have to drill a hole for the cable but I did it right back where the nozzle sits where some other water hoses pass through. I sealed it with marine grade apoxt resin from the inside and then from the outside I smeared some black marine grade silicone around it all and you can hardly notice.

PWCToday Newbie

I installed a transducer just aft of the battery on my 2008 FX HO. Sand down a spot just a bit bigger then transduce. I took a 1 inch thick foam rubber and cut out a small hole to accommodate the transduce and a glob of Silicone. When putting the transduce in the silicone remember to turn slightly to get any bubbles out then let set up for a day. It is just a bit off level but works great.

PWCToday Newbie

What model depthfinder did you go with Scubafred (or anyone else for that matter)? Looking for a gps/fishfinder combo and was thinking about a Lowrance Elite-7, Talon Elite socket, P79 through hull transducer

My buddy mounted one next to the pump with silicone. Make sure no bubbles in whatever you use to install underneath or it could interfere with reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information