» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bendix removal

PWCToday Newbie

Re: bendix removal

Quote Originally Posted by dank View Post
    You need to use 1/4" drive sockets with a swival at the end and a short extension to get the bottom two screw out. I have done this many times and it just takes a little extra time. It would take five times longer to pull the pump, carbs, exhaust and lift the engine enough to remove the engine plate.

BTB..The driveshaft unscrews from the engine coupler.

If you are close to Charlotte, NC you could bring it here. It is a two hour job if you have done it before.
    Dank - does this apply to the 1997 Daytona 1000 mag cover as well?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by TieRBuoY View Post
    Dank - does this apply to the 1997 Daytona 1000 mag cover as well?

Thanks,
    I don't know how anyone can get a socket on the bottom two bolts for the mag cover. I honestly think the only way is to pull the engine and while its out cut out two slots in the engine cover. I had to do this to my project ski which is a 97 Daytona 1000. These skis are getting old so while the engine is out its a good time to replace a bunch of fuel and oil lines while your in there.
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87951 View Post
    I don't know how anyone can get a socket on the bottom two bolts for the mag cover. I honestly think the only way is to pull the engine and while its out cut out two slots in the engine cover. I had to do this to my project ski which is a 97 Daytona 1000. These skis are getting old so while the engine is out its a good time to replace a bunch of fuel and oil lines while your in there.
    I was able to get the last bolt out today. Dank is right. I was able to do this with a thin walled 10mm socket, a 1/4" universal and some patience. The bolt giving me the biggest problem was immediately below the bendix. As it was starting to get dark I will wait and try to remove the cover tomorrow.

Regarding the fuel and oil lines, they all look fairly new.

I just bought this ski about 3 weeks ago and it has been working great up until we had a really bad thunderstorm. Ever since then the Bendix has been acting up. I notice some of the mag cover bolts were loose leading me to believe moisture has gotten in there.

Thanks for the reply Dan... More to come.

PWCToday Newbie

I was able to remove the mag cover today and with a bit of wiggling the Bendix came off. Everything is a rusted mess. I am surprised it ran as well as it did under these conditions. I have ordered a new Bendix and am in the process of cleaning up the inside of the cover, stator and hall effect switches.

I'm going to see if the local Bolts + can provide me with replacement bolts with an 8 mm hex head to facilitate easier installation and removal for the 3 lower bolts in the future. The service manual identifies 2 thrust washers where the Bendix mates to the case. There were none present. Going to see if Bolts + can provide generic subs.

Is there suppose to be gasket joining this cover?

I know I am resurrecting an old thread here. I believe it will be helpful for those wondering if the mag cover can be removed from 97 Tigershark Daytona 1000 without removing the engine.

Thanks for any replies.

20170827_120944.jpg20170827_121058.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TieRBuoY; 08-28-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Nice work on removing the mag cover without removing the engine!

There is a rubber bladder on the back of the mag housing on the engine that is probably torn, I bet that is where the water is coming in at. If you remove the starter you can see the rubber bladder.
    Last edited by Dan87951; 08-28-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    My Jet Ski videos below.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dan87951 View Post
    Nice work on removing the mag cover without removing the engine!

There is a rubber bladder on the back of the mag housing on the engine that is probably torn, I bet that is where the water is coming in at. If you remove the starter you can see the rubber bladder.
    Thanks Dan - I wondered if there were any pathways into the mag housing.. Is this bladder a seal for the starter? If it is torn, do I need to replace it, or is there something I can do to seal the area ( ie. marine silicone ? )?. To fix this will mean I need to remove the carbs.

Very impressed with your restoration videos btw.

Thanks again for your input and feedback.

If the rubber bladder is torn, then water has a direct pathway into the mag housing. You can buy a new rubber bladder for around $18 (link below). I went ahead and sealed the pathway with silicon and than covered it with a rubber vacuum boot instead of buying a new rubber bladder.

Thanks! Restoring this old Tigershark has been fun, however i'm glad its finally coming to a close. It sure has been a lot more work than I anticipated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat-T...tVHTwf&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by Dan87951; 08-29-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    My Jet Ski videos below.

Frequent Poster

I put a piece of clear fuel line on my 770's then ran it to a fitting I installed on the bottom of the cover. I can now see if there is any fluid, either water from a crash, or oil from a leaking seal.

Others run the line up to the top inside the hull to keep water out, but still let it vent.

I am also spray the inside the cover, the stator, etc. everything with http://corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html Also spray inside the electric box.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

You can also replace that bladder with one from the front differential on 1998-07 Arctic Cat atv's. I put one on a long time ago and it's a lot thicker and it's 5 bucks, p/n 1402-620. There are different bladders Cat uses on newer atv's, but I don't know how they're different.

Good job on getting that mag cover off. I always thought the engine had to come out on the 1000's because of the engine plate.
    Region 6

Shark Bait
    My race boats:
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP
    800 Limited/2 Stroke Limited

2015 Achievements
    1st Place Overall 2 Stroke Limited on the CWA CanAm Tour
    7th Place at World Finals Am R/A 1000 SS
    7th Place at World Finals Pro-Am 1000 SS
    Thank you to my sponsors: GoPro, AMSOIL, Riva Racing, Incase, Shorai, ODI Grips, and Ryno Power.
    Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TripleLRacing/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information