User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Nev. teen dies in watercraft accident on Lake Powell---(Arizona)

PAGE - A 15-year-old Reno, Nev., boy has been killed in a watercraft accident at Lake Powell.

The National Park Service says the boy was killed Sunday evening when the personal watercraft he was riding collided with another ridden by someone who was in his group.

The teenager was airlifted to Page Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The other rider was taken to the hospital for evaluation but wasn't hurt, according to a park service release.

The accident took place near Warm Creek Bay, just north of Antelope Island, on the Utah side of Lake Powell.

The Park Service declined to release the name of the dead boy because he was a juvenile.
    AZ Central
    Skipper: Kowalski, analysis.
    Kowalski: I'm picking up good vibrations.

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**
    Liquid Militia*****K38 Water Safety*****

Re: Nev. teen dies in watercraft accident on Lake Powell---(Arizona)

That sucks......BUT... Wounder what PWC company is going to get sued this time. Sorry, I just could not help to think it, very insensitive.

are their any more details on what they were donig or how the accident occured?
    becausi i ride in Florida and i just learned about a law that says that you connot spray another rider on a different ski, this is an arrestable offence.
    i have been riding for about three years and when i started to ride i took a safe boaters course and this was never mentioned

Sniper Kn9

woww

PWCToday Newbie

Yes, super late reply (and just getting back on horse fully so just saw post), yet wanted to answer comment and question....Also thanks so much for posting the accident, it sucks not everyone enjoys/understands/educated which in turn gives PWC the bad rep at times (I still LOVE them!)....

Nope, I did not sue the jet ski companies....wasn't their fault my son had never ridden before and the responsible party for him on that trip dismissed all rules and regulations so I sued him.

$2.5 Million - Wrongful Death of Teenager Killed in Jet-Ski Collision

Zac Springer's mother contacted Brett Murphy to seek a second opinion after her initial lawyer advised that the claim was not worth pursuing. Since her son Zac had died in a jet ski accident and there was no automobile insurance available, he concluded that the claim had no recoverable value. Brett Murphy determined that homeowners insurance provided coverage for the homeowner's failure to supervise use of a jet ski while the family was on vacation. The Estate of Zachary Springer recovered $2.5 million for his tragic death in the jet ski accident.

The claim arose when Zac Springer was invited to accompany a friend and his father on vacation to Lake Powell, Utah. The friend's father and his adult friends had rented two houseboats, a ski boat, and two jet skis, signing a rental agreement that explicitly prohibited use of the jet skis by anyone under 18. Utah law requires that minors use jet skis only after being trained and certified, and then only under close adult supervision. Instead of supervising Zac and his friend, the father partied while letting the 15-year-old boys ride the jet skis, contrary to the rental contract, the laws of Utah, and common sense.

The tragedy occurred on the afternoon of the first full day of the vacation. The two boys took the jet skis out around 5:00 p.m. This vacation was Zac's first use of a jet ski ever, and he was operating with absolutely no adult supervision more than a mile from the anchored houseboats. The boys were operating their jet skis at about 25 m.p.h. when Zac's friend t-boned Zac’s jet ski, which then stopped in the water. Zac was hit and knocked off the jet ski. His friend jumped into the water to hold the unconscious Zac afloat. They were in the water together for nearly 30 minutes before help arrived.

According to investigators, it took 20 minutes for the "adult supervisors" to get a ski boat launched to rescue the boys, and another 20 minutes of CPR before they could figure out how to work the marine radio, either because no one knew how to operate the radio, because there was something wrong with this particular marine radio, or because the operators were too intoxicated to figure it out.

Liability arose from the father's failure to supervise his son, but also from the father's failure to supervise Zac's use of the jet ski after his parents allowed the father to act in loco parentis, promising to take responsibility for Zac's safety during the vacation. Punitive damages were requested for "...conduct that manifests a knowing and reckless indifference toward, and a disregard of, the rights of others.”

An investigation determined that the rental agent who gave the jet ski instruction noticed that "...they wasn't (sic) interested so much in my instruction. I felt they just wanted to leave quick..." Although the rental party "...indicated to me they were experienced boaters...," at the time the houseboats were turned over, people were already "drinking and partying..." In fact, the members of the rental party were not experienced boaters.

Several witnesses at the scene verified that the father knew that no one under 18 was allowed to use the jet skis and that the two boys had not attended the boating safety course required by Utah law or obtained the required boating safety certificate. In sum, the adult’s failure to supervise the young boys on the powerful machines led to Zac's death.

The claim was brought under Utah's wrongful death statute. Recoverable damages included funeral and medical expenses, the value of services the decedent might have rendered to the household, the amount of money the deceased child might have earned, if his projected income would have exceeded the cost of his maintenance and care, and the loss of society, companionship, protection and affection, which constitutes the heart of the action. The Utah Constitution provides that the amount recoverable for a wrongful death claim can never be limited, so there is no limitation on a jury determination of value.

The recovery came from the entire policy limits of the friend's father's homeowners' policy, a source of recovery found when Zac's mother sought a second opinion at Brett Murphy.
    Here's how my attorney broke it down in his newsletter;

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Chester's Avatar

Wow! I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for posting the details.

Chester
    Speed is very expensive. How fast do you want to spend?

Stand up:
    98 SXi-Pro

Couches:

96 XP
    86 X2

Top Dog
    Blog Entries

That sucks I am sorry for your loss. I honestly can't believe you sued him. I am sure you and everyone here would have no problem letting there 15 year old kid and friend ride jetskis. I also can't imagine that if your son would have called and asked your permissions that you wouldn't have said yes.

Thread Information