Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

yamaha waverunner? 650

I'm looking to buy my first jet ski but don't have alot to spend. I found a 1993 Yamaha waverunner. He said it was a 650 but modified to 750. does anyone know how he would have done this? How fast do you think it would go and do you think it's worth buying. He wants $1,850 OBO but I will try to get him down a few hundred. What do you think it's worth?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: yamaha waverunner? 650

Is it a Waverunner 3 or a VXR? Either way, $1850 is high - even in spring. If it's a VXR, TWO of them for $1850 is high. Figure 38-44mph with either - depending on what REALLY has been done to it.

"650 modified to 750" is too vague a statement, and probably BS. A 701 cylinder can be installed on the original 650 cases. An entire 701 motor could have been swapped in. The 650 cylinder could have been bored to 81mm, making it 701cc. Impossible to know for sure what's been done, but without even knowing more, I'd guarantee it's not a full 750cc's.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top end has been rebuilt ONCE, and it's now bored to 77.5 mm - making it just slightly larger than the original 633cc's - and after YEARS of telling (and re-telling) everyone that the skis has been bored out, each year the displacement "tale" grew larger and larger. But that's just my guess based up tendencies, and the fact that modified WR3's and VXR650's are far less common than modified Super Jets from that same era.

See if you can find out some more specific info, or post some pics...

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

Do you enjoy riding in Wisconsin? Click here and join the Badgerland Jet Pilots:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

If its a 93 650, chances are its a VXR (pink or purple) or its a WR3 (waverunner 3) which is kind of gawky looking. I think he's full of himself about 750cc.

well, he might have swapped in a different engine, but there is no such thing as a yamaha 750 engine. There is a 701, and a 760, but no 750. He could of added a pipe or something and made up that number. If you take some pictures and post them, we can identify parts online, along with the ski.

Depending on what hes done to it (sounds like a lot if he wants 1800!) it goes around 38 mph stock, and with some mods, you can get it to 48 or so possibly with a bigger 760 engine (which I dont think would even fit). I think he's trying to cash in though, I would never pay 1800 for a 93 waverunner. Take some pics and post them up, and ask him about aftermarket parts. If its stock, I wouldnt pay more then 600~650 for it, those waverunners are very slow and weak.

Blog Entries

with a bigger 760 engine (which I dont think would even fit).
    Physically fitting the 760 motor in there would not be a problem at all. It would mount just like the 650/701. Finding someone crazy enough to spend the money to put a 760 in WR3 or a VXR is the real difficulty.

it goes around 38 mph stock, and with some mods, you can get it to 48 or so
    My '95 WR3 went 38.3mph (gps) with a 100# passenger and a stock 650 motor. That motor was donated from a VXR that also went about 38mph. After adding a Coffman's pipe, Westcoast head (28cc domes), Vilder flame arrester, stainless prop, extended ride plate, and intake grate - the same ski, with the same passenger went a whopping 39.8mph (gps) - although the midrange and overall acceleration improved noticeably. I suppose it's probably possible to make a WR3 or VXR go 48mph, but with such a flat hull design, the amount of motor needed to do so would be absurd. I can think of THOUSANDS of better ways to spend your money than that - like maybe drugs or alcohol, for example.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Do you enjoy riding in Wisconsin? Click here and join the Badgerland Jet Pilots:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cooldude3552000
    I'm looking to buy my first jet ski but don't have alot to spend. I found a 1993 Yamaha waverunner. He said it was a 650 but modified to 750. does anyone know how he would have done this? How fast do you think it would go and do you think it's worth buying. He wants $1,850 OBO but I will try to get him down a few hundred. What do you think it's worth?

If you're inclined to spend $1850, look for a '94 or '95 701 Wave Raider. You should be able to find a decent one, with a trailer, for around that price. Then you'll have a much sportier ski that runs in the low to mid 50's. You MIGHT even be able to find a '95 1100 Wave Raider close to that price range, as I've already heard of a few of those selling for $2000 or a little less. A good running 1100 Raider will register 65mph on the dreamometer as you're actually running 58 or 59mph.

If you're going to stick with something with a 650 motor, do NOT pay more than $800 for a VXR. Since Waverunner 3's are legal to carry 3 riders (and you can legally pull a tube/skiier with them), they tend to sell for a bit more, but if you're gonna pay $1200-1500 for a WR3, it better be REALLY nice.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Ouch, I always thought you could get more out of it then 1 mph... Guess I did spend all the money on alchohol and drugs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by K6Jet
    Ouch, I always thought you could get more out of it then 1 mph... Guess I did spend all the money on alchohol and drugs
    The hilarious part is that Coffman's claimed a 3-4 mph increase just by the addition of their pipe and a decent flame arrester.

Heck, the Factory pipe on my FX1 claimed to give a 6-7 mph increase, and that was almost as optimistic.

Oh well, I learned long ago that the fun (for me) about jet skiing has almost NOTHING to do with top speed, and a lot more to do with riding a stand up with some decent torque.

Actually my WR3 is used almost exclusively as a tow vehicle for tubing/water skiiing/wakeboarding/and knee boarding. For the amount of cash I've got stuck into it, it does those things very well. It now cruises at 20-25 mph (perfect towing speeds) at about 1/4 throttle, and has good burst power for cracking the whip when needed. It goes fast enough to put a big smile on my 10 year old's face when I crack the whip, and send him flying off the tube.

The important thing is that anybody seriously concerned about top speed should forget about being satisfied with a WR3 or VXR. That's just not what those skis are about.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mile9c1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fox river pwc
    If it's a VXR, TWO of them for $1850 is high.
    I think that would be an average-good price for two in running condition.

The 650 WRIII is awesome, my cousin bought one brand new in 1992 and it's still running, all he's ever done is change the impeller (anc plugs/battery of course). We beat the hell out of it

Blog Entries

I think that would be an average-good price for two in running condition.
    Probably depends a bit where you are (and time of year). Due their apparent lack of popularity (when they break), I've found myself parting out MANY VXRs. I can't even remember how many by now.

The MOST I've ever paid for a VXR was $825. That was about 4 years ago. It was abolutely MINT, and included a perfect 2 year old trailer. The seller even met me 1/2 way - in Indiana. I immediately yanked the motor and dropped it in my WR3 hull. I then sold the trailer and the rest piece by piece, and netted $780 (after paying all the eBay fees). Not a bad deal. I couldn't give the hull away, so I cut off the back half and made a hydro-trailer that I still pull behind my stand-ups today - to haul my buoys/cooler/gas can to the spot where I set up my course.

I've lost track of how many non-running VXRs I've gotten for free. I've even charged $50 to haul some of them away. Most of the runners that I've gotten (in below average condition), were in the $100-200 range.

I suppose $1850 for a pair with a trailer wouldn't be terrible - in excellent condition, but a little patience would certainly save the buyer some cash, as cheaper deals ARE out there.

The 650 WRIII is awesome, my cousin bought one brand new in 1992 and it's still running, all he's ever done is change the impeller (anc plugs/battery of course). We beat the hell out of it
    I agree. There's a reason why nearly every rental fleet chose that ski back in the day. It's like a Timex on water.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

wish I lived near you, I wouldnt mind another VXR PRO, no one within a good distance of me owns any old jetski's, Im still trying to find a good SJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information