• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CFW
    PWCToday Regular
    • May 2005

Yamaha superjet burned pistons.

Harry,

Just got done with a basic freeride superjet and I have destroyed two new wiseco pistions.

It seemed to be running perfect then seized at wide open throttle

the head was normal temperature while running it against the sea wall

They are both burned on the exhaust side toward the front of the ports looks as if you ground them on a bench grinder. Also it seized at the trasfer port on the intake side of the cylinder.

Basic setup is as follows:
    New hot rod crankshaft and new seals
    82 mm wiseco pistons in a 61X cylinder set at 0.0045 clearance
    Stock porting with minor clean up on transfer ports and exhaust ports
    Single SBN 48 MM Blowsion/Riva carb on Power Bomb manifold 150 pilot 155 main
    62 T Case
    Factory B pipe modified version
    61X electrics and MSD enhancer with factory yamaha flywheel 61x type
    Static timing on stator is set to factory setting

What have I done wrong here ?? why are the piston tops burning by the exhaust ports?

Thanks

Andrew Katros
    Last edited by CFW; 02-20-2006, 09:40 AM.
    "Too much power is just right "

" Grab a handfull of throttle on that 94 SJ and tell me what you think"

1994 Superjet freeride ripper 760 "SX-800 eater" (straight line at least)

2004 R-12X Honda, cruiser couch
    2004 F-12x Honda, jumbo cruiser couch

2004 SXR 800 closed course ski always in progress, trying to catch Jimmy Wright on HS
    2007 SXR 800 Wet pipe boat
    2002 Polaris octane showroom condition, for sale anytime, make an offer
  • ski4
    PWCToday Guru
    • May 2003

Re: Yamaha superjet burned pistons.

ouch
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst

Comment

• CFW
      PWCToday Regular
      • May 2005

yep got that sinking feeling when it stopped, knew just what happened, but not why.

The burned tops of the pistons indicate high temps over 1200 F at the exhaust-- cant figure it out but seems lean and tight, dont want to make the same mistake twice. seems like I always used t set them up with more clearance before, Wiseco reccomends .0040 I added another 1/2 thou. but it seems that I had better results with .0050 to .0055 clearance

2004 SXR 800 closed course ski always in progress, trying to catch Jimmy Wright on HS

Comment

• ski4
        PWCToday Guru
        • May 2003

i have heard with wiesco .005 is where you should be, i am guessing you leaned out too? any air leaks?
        "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst

Comment

• T-Bone
          Top Dog
          • May 2002

i have always heard never run a 62T wide open with a single carb, it will end up running too lean. From the pictures that looks like what happened.
          SUR#82
          pwctoday....its like working with my brothers kids.

Comment

• Group K
            Tech Guru
            Resident Guru
            • Feb 2002

Andrew,
            Based on the pix and your description, it looks like you just experienced heavy detonation. The gereral causes are too much ignition advance, too much compression, too little octane, or too lean a mixture.
            Shooting from the hip, I would strongly suspect too lean a mixture is very likely you "biggest" potential problem. We run a 160 main in the stock 44 carb on that same setup. I strain to imagine that a 155 is enough for a 48mm carb. One of the top orders of business during break-in should have been to clearly establish that you are able to set the high speed circuit too rich....then gradually lean down to the best setting (preferably using a digital tach on smooth water).
            It bears noting that the Riva carbs are (as I am made to understand) the same atomizer design as the old Buckshot BRM carbs. While these carbs had good CFM capabilities, they did not have very strong signal. (for info on signal, go to www.groupk.com/carbs99.htm ). The inlet setup you have chosen is one that does not play well with a carb that has weak signal characteristics (as this design has). One quick-fix that can improve the signal (and response to mixture adjustment) would be to install a flame arrestor that is not so free breathing.... it sounds backwards, but it works.
            As a footnote, I take strong exception with the conversion of 62T case engines to a single carb because the very large interior volume of the inlet manifold can weaken inlet signal by very a big margin. The problem of weak signal becomes bigger yet, if a "larger than 44mm" carb is used. Personally, I would opt for a stock 760 inlet setup using unmodified 44mm carbs (blocking off the crossover in the stock inlet manifold). Such a setup has much lower inlet manifold volume than what you have (resulting in much stronger signal and more responsiveness to adjustment). If you were firm about retaining your single carb setup, I would recommend to go to a stock throat 44mm carb to recover more responsive tuning.
            Just my opinion.
            Respectfully, Harry Klemm

Originally posted by CFW
            Harry,

Just got done with a basic freeride superjet and I have destroyed two new wiseco pistions.

It seemed to be running perfect then seized at wide open throttle

the head was normal temperature while running it against the sea wall

They are both burned on the exhaust side toward the front of the ports looks as if you ground them on a bench grinder. Also it seized at the trasfer port on the intake side of the cylinder.

Basic setup is as follows:
            New hot rod crankshaft and new seals
            82 mm wiseco pistons in a 61X cylinder set at 0.0045 clearance
            Stock porting with minor clean up on transfer ports and exhaust ports
            Single SBN 48 MM Blowsion/Riva carb on Power Bomb manifold 150 pilot 155 main
            62 T Case
            Factory B pipe modified version
            61X electrics and MSD enhancer with factory yamaha flywheel 61x type
            Static timing on stator is set to factory setting

What have I done wrong here ?? why are the piston tops burning by the exhaust ports?

Thanks

Andrew Katros
            Unless otherwise stated, responses to all forum posts are based on my personal experiences working within the PWC industry, and developing high performance PWCs since 1987.

www.groupk.com

Comment

• CFW
              PWCToday Regular
              • May 2005

Harry thanks a lot,

I thought it might be a lean situation, but I value your opinion and wanted to see what you had to say about it.

Blowsion offers this set up and I don't recall the BRM buckshot carbs, but this power bomb 48 is a "Bulls eye" type set up with great response. I will call them and see why they reccomended this jetting with my set up.

Like you said, I think I should have known better and tried to establish the known rich base line first.

I guess the .0045 clearance on the wiseco pistons didn't bother you.

Thank you for your time

Andrew Katros

Comment

Working...
              X