Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Ultra Budget 550 quasi-freestyle

It all began with a JS 550 that had a buncha bolt-ons and not much direction. Then I found PWCtoday. I dunno whether to thank you guys or cuss you, but in short, I am repainting, turfing, footholdin, footstrapping, 44SBN-ing and a buncha other -ings to it in the off season.
    The Pics attached are (in order):
    -The skis (one's just a hull) as purchased -
    -Same time, back shot - Note clapped-out thin-as-hell Sano pads
    -Same time, close up so you can see the dings and stupid stickers
    SUR# 168

85 JS550, Wiseco internals, all PJS exhaust incl: stainless pipe & side exit, K&N, custom shaft bearing; Solas 13/19, scoop grate, quick steer and bars, dual bilge pumps, and more...

View my buildup, including homemade footholds:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...ewpost&t=65732

Frequent Poster

Re: Ultra Budget 550 quasi-freestyle

Next, in the last 2 weeks: prepped for paint and stripped of its Sano mats and beneath it...the stock pad-FROM 1985!!!

Now clean and ready for footholds and footstrap anchors to be 'glassed in.
    SUR# 168

85 JS550, Wiseco internals, all PJS exhaust incl: stainless pipe & side exit, K&N, custom shaft bearing; Solas 13/19, scoop grate, quick steer and bars, dual bilge pumps, and more...

Frequent Poster

Next, doing the PWCt impossible...making my own footholds!

Take a look...
    NOTE: they are still awaiting more glassing, trimming, sanding and the "lump" on the tops of both to give more "enclosure". I didn't want to go too deep Into the gunwales, in that I was not sure how My feet would like the angle, so my thinking was to basically "widen" the tray at that point by 5" at the balls of my feet. The bumps will take away about 3.5" of width of the tray but leaving the top of my feet about 4" of "coverage" to lift with. I made them about 1.5" larger in all dimensions than my feet in shoes to allow for turf, and air bubbles behind turf and my wetshoes; but also that I wear a size9 and allows people with ~11 shoes to use them too (hopefully). If not, it's my ski - screw 'em

As far as these, I will not be able to comment on how good they are until I use them, but I think I have a pretty food handle on what I wanted in Footholds. I hope they're good. if not, I can always cut 'em out and 'glass over the holes.

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer the best I can, as I know few who have attempted making their own footholds in this manner.
    SUR# 168

d00d corey thats freakin awesome!!! let me know how they go in
    Devon H, aka DJ Devon: TSR Motorsports, Beaumont TX

I dream skis

damn that makes me want to work on mine, I have a bunch of parts here and have no time to put them on. I pretty much wanna do the same thing to my 550. Then to my X2 but no job and a ton of clases doesnt help.

Looks great so far by the way.
    88 - 550
    89 - X2
    SUR#95

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by azreark1
    d00d corey thats freakin awesome!!! let me know how they go in
    Devin, thanks for the kudos. I gotta finish them this week/end. The epoxy resin should be here on monday, so I'll be glassing them in then. Expect a full report.
    SUR# 168

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by orrey45
    ...but no job and a ton of clases doesnt help.

Looks great so far by the way.
    Thanks! I would recommend continuing on in your clases

seriously, i've got a total of 15 bucks in materials in so far. Add 20 for the epoxy to bond them in and said and done, 35. I bought the Hydroturf diamond b-stock sheet for $25. THe footstraps were $36 shipped. Having 2 kids and a bunch of crap come up, money is kinda tight, so I have to save where I can.
    SUR# 168

Frequent Poster

I was wondering if you could e-mail me those pics. Im doing the same thing and am interested how you got from template to socket. II am very impressed with your box idea. I ever thought of that. Great post
    If it dont kill ya\ there's room for improvement

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RickRides1
    I was wondering if you could e-mail me those pics. Im doing the same thing and am interested how you got from template to socket. II am very impressed with your box idea. I ever thought of that. Great post
    Here are some thoughts whilst in progress...Basically, I took the general shapes of the Wamiltons, Blowsions, etc and mimiced their general shapes, Then I cut them out of the box. I have since added "lifters" to them based on the lifters others have used and that I am pretty sure that what I started with may not be deep enough.

Things I have learned:
    1. Make em big. WAY big. you can always make them smaller with more glass and filler and turf ultimately

Note: I used my biggest shoes on my feet and added some room on top of that for that purpose and I was still (seemingly) small. I win't know for sure yet.

I used the old tray pad foam as filler to glass over for the lifters. they work well for adding shape.

2. Use the "Jelly" style resin instead of the liquid resin to make the initial molds. It is much easier to handle for this, dries in ~20 minutes and is smoother and thicker.

Note: I know fiberglass resin doesnt bond to SMC, but epoxty will bond these to the SMC. Secondly, the Jelly resin gets consumed FAST. one quart was just enought to make the initial molds.

3. use new gloves, and use dish gloves, not the blue ones from the auto parts store. I learned that pre-used gloves will put dried resin into your new resin. seems obvious, but obviously not to me. The Blue gloves tore, stretched with the resing and ultimately disintegrated. THe yellow dish gloves were tough enough to do the job.

Stay tuned for more info.

Rick, open the attachments. hover over the right lower corner to expand the pics, right-click and "save-as". If that doesnt work send me an email addy to send you info.
    SUR# 168

PWCToday Guru

pretty cool deal for your footholds...check out my molds.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information