» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Awa Alerts!

Another alert from Chris Manthos!

AWA Nationwide Rider Alert:

Good People,

A few years back the National Park Service, for no reason, and without any public input whatsoever, categorically banned all personal watercraft from Biscayne National Park in south Florida.

In 2004, the AWA was part of a coalition asking Biscayne to conduct an Environmental Assessment (EA) to determine what, if any, impact PWC had on these public waters. Yet again, without reason and certainly with prejudice, the Park denied this common sense approach at science and fairness.

Clearly, they didn’t want to face the results of such an assessment. In every other park service unit where an EA has been conducted the results have been what we already know: PWC do not impact natural resources any more than any other type of boat. Indeed, far less so.

15 out of 15 of the environmental assessments conducted to date say what we already knew. 15 out of 15…! So what’s the problem with Biscayne and the truth?

The AWA is once again part of the pro-access coalition asking the park service to do the right thing and conduct an EA. This is an issue of equality.

Why does the no-access crowd hate freedom and equality?

We need your help to reopen these public waters back up to PWC. Sign up for free action alerts and send your Congressional Representative an email at the same time informing them of how you feel about this bizarre form of discrimination.

It will take two minutes to log onto www.boatbiscayne.com and take action. Every email and contact counts. The more informed of the facts you are surrounding this ridiculous denial of public access to publicly owned water, the better!

Sign up today and even if you never ride Biscayne, this is part of a larger issue of PWC access nationwide. Join in the defense of your Freedom to Ride with your AWA.

Make your voice heard. Log on to www.boatbiscayne.com and make a difference.

The American Watercraft Association …defending your Freedom to Ride.

Chris Manthos
    Executive Director
    American Watercraft Association
    Skipper: Kowalski, analysis.
    Kowalski: I'm picking up good vibrations.

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**
    Liquid Militia*****K38 Water Safety*****

Re: Biscayne National Park PWC Ban

ttt

C---

**The information obtained in my hurricane thread is courtesy of NOAA, National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.**

Signed and heard! Take action peeps. The longer it takes us to sign a petition, the more time that the no access crowd crowd has to work harder at getting us banned.
    Chris Rooks
    02 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (Telefonica/Movistar Kenny Roberts Moto GP edition)

Moderator Moderator

Rooks daddy stepping up!

Come 'on people! It will take a entire 60 seconds of your life...

This is about the Freedom to Ride ...Are you really that busy?

Chris Manthos
    AWA

Davex1

Capt Kirk

I am both sides of this issue. I am a 56 year outdoors person, love the woods and water, am a boater, love to fish offshore, dive, etc. While I support freedom for all, there are instances where one's freedom encroaches on that of another. Unfortunately PWCs are caught up in this situation.

PWCs are a great little vehicle on the water and I would really like to have one myself. The problem with PWCs is the operators that drive everyone else crazy with the way they operate those things. While they are having an exciting and fun filled day on the water, running wide open back and forth, jumping waves and wakes, etc., they are driving others crazy and ruining their day on the water.

Granted not all PWC operators do this, but there are far more offensive type operators than any other. The PWCs are very affordable therefore there are many youthful (under 30) owners/operators. It is these younger operators that we typically see creating the most noise and commotion on the water, making others miserable.

It is not for me to say how PWCs should be driven but one thing is for sure, as long as PWC operators continue to annoy and pizz everyone off, there will likely be more bans and restrictions, not less. Frankly I would like to see the PWC bans and restrictions in the Florida Keys areas lifted. If so, I would likely buy one myself to enjoy riding, sight seeing, maybe some fishing, snorkel diving, etc..

What is the answer??? It is beyond me. I doubt the PWC crowd will ever voluntarily change their driving style to reduce the noise, annoyance, and conflict. They seem to thrive on the speed, wake jumping, etc. instead of pleasure riding so the conflict will likely continue until something changes.

Dave

I do understand what youre saying Dave and honestly, Ive been there myself. Ive been out fishing with my daughter and someone on a PWC goes screaming by. My first thought is "Hey...wheres the respect?!" When Im riding and I come upon someone fishing, whether its from shore or in a boat, I slow down and give them a wide path. Id have to say that IMO at least 80% of the riders dont do that. They could care less. Thats where I believe education and maybe even more enforcement on the water might solve the problem.

What I would like to see happen is if a fellow rider sees something happen thats questionable, talk to them. It might be a long shot, but it might be worth a try.

Captn---

Davex1

This is not a matter of whether PWC's bother you, it's a matter of one type of craft not being allowed in Biscayne National Park for no reason other than "we don't want your kind here".

I don't like the majority of people riding around on RXP's, they seem to be the reckless clowns where I ride, but as long as it is done safely they have just as much right to be there as I do.

You will always have the different groups that do not agree with each other, but at the same time one group should not be discriminated against because of that.

In every other park service unit where an EA has been conducted the results have been what we already know: PWC do not impact natural resources any more than any other type of boat. Indeed, far less so.

15 out of 15 of the environmental assessments conducted to date say what we already knew. 15 out of 15…! So what’s the problem with Biscayne and the truth?

That is all you should care about. A group of your fellow citizens are not being allowed in a National Park based on nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Rickster
    90 Limited Freestyle Square / 2006 Superjet, Superstock bigbore/ 96 WaveVenture 1100 being converted to a 701
    SUR#85 AWA Member since 2005

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home anthony_'s Avatar

just curios, are there any bans on cigarette boats? and i mean places where other watercrafts can operate, but not cigarette boats?

My evolution: seadoo sitdowns > yamaha sitdowns > blaster > kawi 650 > kawi 550 > squarenose . . . next roundnose
    norcalstandupcrew
    www.theskiclinic.com the california delta
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDv6zbKmyp8
    ^^^me jumping yacht wake in the california delta

Moderator Moderator

Delta- Every other type of boat is allowed in Biscayne. Oil tankers, leaky banana steamers, go-fast, or cig. boats... everything! Except for one little small clean boat... PWC. Keep in mind there is even a Nuke power plant in Biscayne.

I understand where Dave is coming from. It's a common refrain; however, it's not an reason to discriminate. PWC owners pay taxes and boat reg.fees just like every other boater.

I'm not too fond of bass boats that go screaming through the middle of my PWC riding groups at 75 mph... but I never think they should be outlawed. I think the operator should serve as batting practice for the nearest law enforcement officer, however I feel the same goes for knucklehead PWC riders... there are plenty who give the rest of us a bad name, but don't make the good people pay for the actions of the bad.

Rickster nailed it (as usual). It's about one group of people wanting to control another group of people.

Anywhere else in the country, there would be a class action civil suit filed by the Justice Dept.... but for us, it's different for some reason.

This issue is about freedom.... the freedom to ride. I may never ride Biscayne, but I don't want somebody telling me I can't while every other yah-hoo with a $200,000 go-fast that burns more fuel in one run, than I burn all year can.

We're not asking for special treatment. We're asking for equalty.
    Nobody will ever convince me that's wrong. I've spent my life and plenty of *** whuppin's sticking up for the little guy. I ain't about to stop now.

Chris Manthos
    Exec. Dir.
    AWA

Davex1

I am not disputing the fact that the bans are descriminatory, I also believe they are, and I don't like it either. I am just stating what I believe are the reasons the bans have occurred in the first place and continue today. I am not arguing with you, just telling you what I see and why I think the bans originated and will continue.

The other boats allowed in these areas such as you described do have issues as you mentioned but keep in mind they do not run back and forth for hours or all day long annoying people. The other boats come thru and usually within a minute they are out of sight and hearing. The PWCs are very localized much of the time around inlets, parks, and other popular boating areas and they never go away. The wreckless operation and noise created continues for most of the mid-day hours and just drives most non-PWC owners crazy.

Consider this, if a person came into your normally peaceful neighborhood with a car that had loud mufflers on it and he ran wide open up and down your street for hours, spinning donuts, jumping the curb, etc. what do you think your reaction would be??? You would be upset at: loosing your peaceful tranquility, upset at the lack of respect the operator shows for you and others, upset at the increased danger factor, would be very annoyed at the noise and commotion, and you would want something done to eliminate him and the problem. See any resemblence here????

If the problem the general public has with PWCs can be identified, addressed, and reduced or eliminated, I think you have a chance to get the bans repealled but it is not likely to happen before then. I also think if this problem is allowed to continue you will likely see more bans and more restrictions. The extreme could be that PWCs would be restricted to only designated sections and areas and not allowed on the open waterways at all. Don't let this happen. The industry and individual operators have allot at stake so do your part to clean up your act and immage. Ignoring this problem or arguing will get you no where.

Ride safe, be respectful of others, and if you must raise hale on your PWC, do it far away from the public eye and ear. Good luck.

Dave1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information