Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Re: Places to Jet Ski in NoCal?

I actually live in Berkeley. I just used Oakland as a better point of interest since it's right next door to Berkeley. Anyway, Jack London Square has a free launch spot? It's not a problem to launch there and ride in the Bay?

Thanks everyone! I hope we can meet up and ride together.

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by poloblue67
    Hey everyone,
    I'm pretty new to this forum and the whole Jet Ski scene but I wanted to get some information on where a Kawasaki 650sx and Kawasaki 750sx can be used. Are there specific lakes and/or waterways that prohibit Jet Skis? I am located in Berkeley, CA. Please give me close places where I can rock the jet skis!

Thanks everyone

-Kevin
    Hey Kevin!

We're in Oakland, and we have skied in a fair amount of inland waterways. Not so big on the ocean - corrosive to the skis.

We like Folsom (about 1.5 hrs away), don't like Berryessa (too crazy/gangsta the two times we went), loooooove Don Pedro and New melones reservoir, and spend a fair amount of time at Nacimiento (south, near Paso Robles).

DP, NM and Naci are all between 3-4 hours away, but we feel it's worth it for the quality of the ride. DP and NM also have awesome camping; Naci's is OK, but too crowded for our tastes.

Of course, the closest is the Delta. We *hated* Orwood - the people were jerks on the ramp, and we don't intend on returning. We've had much better experiences at Windmill Cove.

Welcome to it! And check out the NorCal Ride group on this forum - we're just getting started on putting a group of regular rides together for the NorCal residents. Right now, it's called the Indian Slough Crew, but we just held a poll and got our new name - the NorCal Jetski Crew. Come over and join us!

Sandi
    2007 Honda F-12 (blue!) & 2004 Kawi STX 15F
    NorCal Jetski Crew
    AWA member since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by poloblue67
    I actually live in Berkeley. I just used Oakland as a better point of interest since it's right next door to Berkeley. Anyway, Jack London Square has a free launch spot? It's not a problem to launch there and ride in the Bay?

Thanks everyone! I hope we can meet up and ride together.

-Kevin
    It is not a problem to ride in the Estuary, or even the Oakland side of the bay. You just need to stay at least 2 miles off the SF coast.

As far as the launch, it is right where Lake Merrit flows into the estuary. The "landmark" directions are: Take 24w to 880S Exit Jackson. Go straight and make a right at the Shell station. Take that street over the RR tracks where it will end at a frontage road. Take a left on the frontage road. Go about 200 yards, it is on the right.

Make sure to bring your flush kit and car wash. The bay water is salty and really smells. I ride there every now and then. If you ever want to ride, PM me.
    CW #922
    '05 800 SX-R, '15 Sea-Doo Spark
    Team Tillman Member: http://www.active.com/donate/teamtillman/walker922
    2011 Mark Hahn 300 Stand-up Ironman
    "The man, the legend, a way of life"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by sandi_r_k
    Not so big on the ocean........
    We're going to have to work on that one! But I do recognize that the ocean riding up there is not as inviting as SoCal. We have to have something down here to make up for our lack of RIDABLE fresh water.

Amen to *hate* Orwood! Check around, there are lots of places to launch in the Delta. Fish-n-Map makes an excellent detailed map of the Delta (plus many other places) and it's only $7.95. Very good company to deal with. https://secure.fishnmap.com/catalogframe.html

I second the "NorCal ride spot sticky".
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home LisaLisa's Avatar

Sorry, but I'm giggling at the Orwood comments here...many of the locals think that since they actually put a little $$$ into remodeling their launch ramp and widening it from a two lane mud pit to 8 lanes of actual pavement with a couple of docks, it makes themhigh and mighty....I've seen some really rude behaviour there.

But, in their defence, I've also seen some real morons - on boats, skis, you name it - if it floats, they're about as smart as a mud fence.
    The biggest problem I saw them jumping on was ANY bit of launching delay as it's always so busy there.

SO warning: If you launch at Orwood, you'd better have your act together. they didn't position those bleachers next to the launch ramp so they could cheer for you...it's so they can gahter and make fun of those who suffer from "Launching Impediments"

Piggyback rides are my preferred mode of transportation

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Lisa,

You hit the nail square on the head. That's about the most accurate summary of Orwood I've read.

If you do go there have your act together and make sure to get in the correct line to launch, and maybe wear ear plugs because somebody will probably yell at you, or laugh depending on your act.

Better yet just go someplace else. There are a couple of threads regarding lauching spots in the Delta.
    2003 F-12 - Riva splash guard, Boarding step
    2003 R-12X - Macsboost #53 + Intercooler, Solas 17/29, Boarding step
    SoCal Watercraft Club member
    SoCal Club Website
    SoCal Club News & Info
    AWA Member since 2003

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home chatty's Avatar

or drive a couple of miles up the road to holland.
    Not as wide a launch, only 2 lanes and quite narrow, but very nice owners and a 25 foot no wake zone
    2010 MH 300 Endurance Champion VX 110 Class (Ironman) - SUR #119 - AWA because you know you should!
    DJSA Rocks!

Heck, go to Pittsburg. It is a free three lane launch and closer to Oakland. The only thing you need to watch out for are the fishermen to the left of the ramp, and the occasional freighter.
    CW #922
    '05 800 SX-R, '15 Sea-Doo Spark
    Team Tillman Member: http://www.active.com/donate/teamtillman/walker922
    2011 Mark Hahn 300 Stand-up Ironman
    "The man, the legend, a way of life"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home chatty's Avatar

Those things are amazing. I was stopped (read ran out of gas and was switching to reserve) about 2 miles east of pitsburg just before the domes and was passed by one of these things. It was huge and was doing a good clip (I'd guess about 15 to 20 mph) and gave off 2 huge wakes. I was a good 250 to 300 yards to the side of it and it still tossed me all over. The 25' sailboats it passed were listing about 30 degrees as they surfed its wake. I guess it was rushing to make best use of the tide.
    2010 MH 300 Endurance Champion VX 110 Class (Ironman) - SUR #119 - AWA because you know you should!
    DJSA Rocks!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home anthony_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LisaLisa
    Sorry, but I'm giggling at the Orwood comments here...many of the locals think that since they actually put a little $$$ into remodeling their launch ramp and widening it from a two lane mud pit to 8 lanes of actual pavement with a couple of docks, it makes themhigh and mighty....I've seen some really rude behaviour there.

But, in their defence, I've also seen some real morons - on boats, skis, you name it - if it floats, they're about as smart as a mud fence.
    The biggest problem I saw them jumping on was ANY bit of launching delay as it's always so busy there.

SO warning: If you launch at Orwood, you'd better have your act together. they didn't position those bleachers next to the launch ramp so they could cheer for you...it's so they can gahter and make fun of those who suffer from "Launching Impediments"
    i love the comments about Orwood. Lisa is so right on! this is the last place you want to go launch (during the summer) if you're not really profiecent in launching. l LOVE and HATE Orwood.

i'll start with why i hate it. first of all, last summer i came really close to getting into a fist fight with about 4 meatheads at the little diner they have because some of the "locals" tried to punk me, my wife, 3 year old and mother-in-law out of a table when we'd been waiting almost 45 minutes for it. and because the diner has no orgainzation or system of seating people they would have taken it (the table) from me if i didn't just hold my ground and would have been willing to get jumped instead of getting punked. secondly, like others have mentioned, some of the people are over the top with their arrogance and "look at me" attitude. obnoctious can be an an understatement. it can look like a scene right out of a limp biscut video. a bunch of fred durst (sp) and pamala anderson looking people running around. also it gets REALLY crowded during the summer. once, we had to wait almost an hour after wakeboarding all day to get the boat back on the trailer.

now here's why i love it . . . uh . . . uh . . . well . . . uh. actually, i'm not sure why i love it. well actually i love it because i really do love the summer atmosphere. not that i like being around arrogant people, but whenever i go to Orwood during the summer, it REALLY feels like summer to me. dispite the arrogance (note: not everyone are a**holes), i like the summer buzz. and i like watching all the boats and skis launch. i like the people watching and laughing at "look at me" people. plus, having launched successfully a number of times at orwood (amongst the crowd with everyone staring at you hoping you screw up so they can point and laugh at you), im not confident to launch anywhere without the anxiety of screwing up. plus i like that the area (waterways) around Orwood. and if you need to quickly get in and out, it's not the place to go, but i'm rarely in a hurry when i come in and out and i like the people watching. plus, i also like the food at the diner, dispite having to almost fight over a table. it's also funny too because i know a number of people that will say all the negative things about Orwood that has been mentioned here, but won't launch up the road at convient Holland because they say it's not as much fun to launch there. i guess we're just glutting for punishment.

My evolution: seadoo sitdowns > yamaha sitdowns > blaster > kawi 650 > kawi 550 > squarenose . . . next roundnose
    norcalstandupcrew
    www.theskiclinic.com the california delta
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDv6zbKmyp8
    ^^^me jumping yacht wake in the california delta

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information