User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home pwgsx's Avatar

How to remove exhaust manifold and pipe?

I need to know exactly how to remove the exhaust manifold and pipe on a 99 gsx limited. I got a 97.5 "white pipe" , so the fittings should all line up perfectly, but dont know where to start. I also need to rejet the carbs so help on that is also needed. Other than an allen socket, how do you remove the other bolts, there is one under the pipe looks tricky.

Also, on the install, I have all new gaskets, but do I use any sealant on the manifold, pipe ect.?? Can the upper and lower pipe be put together outside the ski or does it have to be done once in the ski, room is limited so im just looking for the best way.

Thanks for all the help
    04 Speedster 200 - Custom Stereo, Metal Pumps, Depth Finder, Resonators Removed
    89 JS 550

04 RXP - Rear Exhaust with Rude Exhaust Tip, Resonator Removed, Metal Washers, Custom Speakers, OPAS Removed- SOLD
    99 GSX Limited- w/mods- SOLD
    95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD
    94 SN Superjet- w/mods- SOLD

Re: How to remove exhaust manifold and pipe?

still looking for any help ..... :/
    89 JS 550

04 RXP - Rear Exhaust with Rude Exhaust Tip, Resonator Removed, Metal Washers, Custom Speakers, OPAS Removed- SOLD
    95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

First..Do you have the manifold for the 97.5 exhaust ???

To remove exsisting pipe...

loosen hose clamp on exhaust hose,remove 3 10mm allen bolts at headpipe & one 15mm bolt with special Seadoo tool or remove carbs first.

Remove 17mm bolt at pipe mid section & remove bracket that is held down with 8mm allen bolts,there is a 10mm allen bolt on back side of cly,once all bolts are loose grab the tail cone & pull hard this will break the head pipe loose from the manifold.

Once pipe is loose lift up pipe & remove hose clamp on water hose,make sure hose is not on tailcone & on most skis the pipe will "snake" out,some will have to seperate but are a major pain in the azz to join back together once in the hull.

If you do seperate the pipes they must be assembled out of the ski,the pipe is very heavy & a pain to work with "patience is the key" that goes true on just about anything you do on a doo. LOL
    Closed but not forgotten.

yes, i scored big, got the 97.5 manifold, upper pipe and using 98 lower. Also got a 6 vein venturi which should help too. Its at the powdercoater so I cant do much except remove the old one for now.

how much does that tool go for??

when I assemble the pipe out of the ski, how do I make sure the 2 parts are lined up correctly? Where do I use sealer on and what kind?

What color loctight on the bolts??

I have the waterbox already pushed back in the ski and the hose is off.
    89 JS 550

95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD

Your powdercoating guy really must love you!

The wrench isn't too expensive, but I made my own, so I'm not sure exactly.

You can do the pipe without the special wrench if the carbs are off.
    Aligning the two pipe sections is tricky if they are out of the ski. Is your old pipe still in? If so, you can use it as a pattern for the new one once you take it out. The alignment is critical to get the front & side mounts lined up. If you have it out of alignment, the side mount is going to drive you nuts and you'l probably cross-thread the bolt. There may be a better way, but to make sure the alignment is correct you can always assemble the 2 sections in the ski. It's a pain, but this way you'll be sure of the alignment.

Use Ultra-Copper sealant on the copper gasket between the 2 pipe sections. I like to use 3-Bond 1211 on the pipe & manifold gaskets. Use Loctite blue(242) on all of the pipe bolts (mounts too). Use Molykote 111 or synthetic grease on the exhaust manifold bolts. Don't forget about torque sequence and staging the torque. Also make sure you torque the pipe-to-manifold connection before tightening the mounts.

Thanks for the tips.... Whats the grease on the bolts for??

Yea, this powdercoater guy is really good and cheap, whole pipe ect.... $100 total
    89 JS 550

95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD

Top Dog

Hey Phillip,

You can buy that wrench from SBT, $15.00. Or...you can grind the holy crap out of a 15mm like i did before i bought the right tool. The thing will look like it's going to fall apart once ground down enough to work.

PWCToday Guru

I've had good luck using a ground down wrench, like RR said.
    Stand back and watch this puppy fly...

Quote Originally Posted by duckman1
    Hey Phillip,

You can buy that wrench from SBT

Yea, kinda cant get on that site anymore.......lol
    No loss there though!!!

Thanks for the tips, can you snap a pic of where it has to be ground ??
    89 JS 550

95 XP- SOLD
    94 750sx- w/mods- SOLD

Top Dog

Pretty much everywhere, you need to make it almost as thin as possible, then grind down the outside edge to make it as small in diameter as possible, then........grind about half the straight part of the wrench out just in front of the enclosed end that you just ground the holy crap out of.

Saw the deal on SBT, I think you had a valid point.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information