Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Custom Hulls and Top decks -- Builder List

Without turning this thread into an argument.. I figured this would be a great topic to start for wintertime project time..

1. What companies offer custom 'stand up' hulls and top decks to put your existing motor in?

2. What experience have you had with these companies

3. Which would you choose and why?

Please supply web links to companies providing these along w/ pictures if available.

DON'T TURN THIS INTO AN ARGUMENT

What? Over an hour and no replies to this yet? I can't start the list because then it'd be considered biased..

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home T-Bone's Avatar
    so far the only top deck i have gotten a price on is watercraft factory.
    SUR#82
    pwctoday....its like working with my brothers kids.

A.
    1. Head Enterprises. The hulls can be made to accomodate any type of motor.
    2.Keith built and ported my motor, and he layed up my carbon/kevlar SJ hull. He has helped me tune and re-jet numerous times. A very standup guy.
    3. I stuck with Head Enterprises because his shop is only 10 minutes away from my house, and he's usually available for tech info.0
    B.
    1. Watercraft Factory. Makes a very strong complete SJ hull and Top Deck conversion Kit.
    2. I have never purchased any parts from Steve, but i did speak with him a lot at WF this year. He was nothing but helpful and answered all my questions about his hull, materials, scuppers, motor work, and everything else that is done with his competition ski/all the skis he makes.
    3. If steve were near me, he'd definitely get my business. He's done nothing but help anyone out that has ever needed it. He has MANY happy customers. Backs his product up like no other.
    Yadda Yadda

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mile9c1's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    What? Over an hour and no replies to this yet?
    I'm too tired to argue

1. Here's the hull list I came up with in no particular order. It's very hard getting details on all these hulls, so if someone else can fill in, it would be a good to know.

1. Watercraft Factory (Superjet hulls and decks)
    2. Wamiltons (Superjet and SX-R hulls)
    3. Blowsion (carbon SX-R hull ?)
    4. Keith Head (Superjet hulls and decks)
    5. Waterdawg Kustomz (X-Jet Superjet and F1-Pro FX-1 hulls)
    6. Lightweight (the Marc Sickerling Superjet hull, in Germany)
    7. ComposiTECH (prepeg carbon fiber Superjet hull, in France)
    8. Board Member Geraban (Superjet hulls and decks)
    9. Board member SpeedyGomzalez (carbon SX-R hull in Germany)
    10. Lenzi (Superjet hull)
    11. Malone (SX-R/Octane hybrid hull ???)
    12. BUN (Superjet hull)
    13. XFT (composite Superjet hulls)

2. This year I built a Waterdawg X-Jet... mainly because the price was tempting ($3500) and it promised a nice combination of features that nobody else offered: the optional "SX-R" type bottom half, big deep footholds, 66E (GP800) engine mounts, it doesn't use a nosepiece, it has controversial side extensions which supposedly help flatwater freestyle, it has the strongest pole bracket. I rate Waterdawg an 'F-' for customer service but an 'A' for the actual hull (it's nicer than I had expected, pretty much in every aspect). It was WORTH the one year wait to me, so I am a happy customer

3. I hate to say it, but I still like the Waterdawg hulls the best overall. The wait to get one would be annoying, but the value is good and I would love to have an F1-Pro.

I made a pro/con list for all of the builders in my aforementioned list so if someone wants me to post it I will. Keep in mind it's probably biased and I don't know most of the facts.

resident guru

hull

I know you freestyle guys don't care, but how about some Runabout Carbon Fiber Race Hulls. I know Bullett, Wamilton's and R-Pot use to make some, but is anyone still making new couch hulls??

T

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waste Land's Avatar
    WaterCraft Factory

I have NOT bought a topdeck/hull of Steve's but I have bought a hood so I feal I should share my experience with him as a builder of a fiberglass product and a owner.

Ownership/Customer Service

Steve is a very cool guy. He has helped me from the start with my ski. He's always answered PMs, Phone calls and talked to me personaly alot at Lanier and Nationals. He builds his own products so he can step up to answer any questions. I've never done so but from what Steve preaches he has a VERY good return policy if things become broken or cracked.

Product - WCF Stealth Hood

I'm really liking my hood. I sent payment and had my hood within two weeks. Would have been sooner but the shipping company opened a new hub that weekend throwing it off course.

Pros
    My product seems to be very sound. No loose edges of glass or bubbles. All raw glass is coated with a black type of spray that makes it look great. I really like the carbon/kevlar handcups and they were made nice too. It fits in the seal pretty well. The thing has a great feal when your on the hood. The hand cups have a nice placement for big people or short people like me.

Cons
    The hood liner I'm not to crazy about. It's nicely done but the area where the bolts go threw are not deep enough and I've had to grind at mine a bit to get the bolt/washer to fit. The hood is pretty good on water intake but it does take in some water. As long as you have a single scupper it shouldnt be a big worry. The biggest problem I've had with my hood was that the front area where you mount the hooks is not flash. It is quite a bit off and would not work unless I used my stock hooks on the pole deck because they were off. One thing thats not a big deal at all but I'll point out is the vent tubes. I liked the original ones he had that were bit more flexible and light. These are way cooler looking just not as practical. No probs with them though

OverAll

Steve offers a pretty good product for ALOT cheaper than other places. My product cons were very minimal except for the front mounting area but with stock hooks it fits fine. I'm pleased with my hood. My skill has improoved since getting such a low hood with hand holds. Monkey jumps, hood subs, and the such are much easier to get into. Overall pleased and would do buisness again. Steve is the "Best Bang For The Buck" of the hoods

Out Of 10(With 24/7 being 10) I'd give my product a 7.5 - 8.0.
    Out Of 10 I'd give me experience with Steve/WCF a 9.0 - Steve is a good guy

Extra Comments

Steve is a good guy with a company that will keep growing. He has his errors but he is justa single man buisness as a 2nd job/Hobby so it's almost excepted. As he grows he will continue to improve and experiment with things and will keep getting better. Maybe he'll have a wamilton sized empire sometime

PICS

[/u]

Steve, thanks for helping me like you did. You know what I meen

Re: hull

Quote Originally Posted by FRAME3
    I know you freestyle guys don't care, but how about some Runabout Carbon Fiber Race Hulls. I know Bullett, Wamilton's and R-Pot use to make some, but is anyone still making new couch hulls??

T
    I really dont think so, seeing as mod class is about 99% non existant.

Mike, post the pro's cons. Anything that can help this thread. Biased or not, post it out.
    Yadda Yadda

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mile9c1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: hull

Quote Originally Posted by unclehulka13
    Mike, post the pro's cons.
    It's not a very good list (I don't want to list too many cons here, they're mostly personal opinion or heresy). I have been looking for a new hull for a few weeks, hoping to find something cheap/light (lightest for my $$$ that is, no hull is cheap). I think I'd need to spend some time at everyone's shop to get a good idea of what they're selling, but here's what I've come up with sitting at my comuter:

1. Watercraft Factory doesn't have a carbon fiber hull out yet, but he plans to make one.

2. Wamilton's glass hulls don't seem any lighter than WCF hull and his price is higher (basing this price off his website; I've heard of him giving better deals in person).

3. Blowsion only has a carbon SX-R hull that I'm aware of. I don't have any Kawasaki parts to "donor" to it. Not much info for this hull unless you call Blowsion personally (which I didn't bother to do because I'm more interested in Superjets).

4. Keith Head wanted a little more than WCF for a light fiberglass hull (80 pounds or so). He has one at his shop, I've been trying to make it out there, but our schedules never match.

5. Waterdawg... lots of heresy coming from Jeff, who knows what he's really up to, but he seems the most willing to work with me (he's probably the most desperate for my money, lol). I'd like an F1-Pro but I'll wait till after he delivers a few to customers, to see what they think.

6. Lightweight is around $12,000 for a 70 pound hull with hood and pole. Looks nice but way out of my budget.

7. ComposiTECH is a few grand cheaper than the Lighteright hull, it's lighter too. But still too expensive for me, and I really can't find anything about skis on their website. France is kinda far away.

8. Geraban... I've never seen him offer a hull for sale, but it sounds like he's made some pretty light glass hulls.

9. SpeedyG... doesn't reply to board posts (and I decided against an SX-R, my skills are bad enough on a Superjet).

10. Lenzi... can't find much infomation on his hulls. I could probably get his number from someone, but would prefer a website. He's got some light hulls from what I've heard but I get the feeling they're made for competition use (short term). They're probably not cheap, as he was advertising complete skis for $35,000 earlier this year.

11. Malone... I'm not sure if he's selling empty hulls, not much info on his website. He'll sell a whole 800cc ski for like $25,000.

12. BUN too far away. Does anyone have a BUN product???

13. XFT good price on his light hull from what I hear. But he never replied to my email enquiry Questionable long term durability on the 57 pound "flat water" hull which is probably the only one in my budget.

resident guru

Trey-Gp

Wamilton was the first to offer a Carbon fiber SX-R hull.

T

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information