X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FreestyleRiverRat
    I dream skis
    • Jan 2005

I'm currently working on cleaning up a set of 61x cases for my 701 freestyle project. Pretty much what I am doing is matching the cases and smoothing out all transitions. The cases I purchased were clearanced for a stroker crank and epoxy filled, so that left me to smooth everything out. I am going to go throught alot of polishing tips on my dremel but I have all winter. The 61x is limited by its design but it should do fine for my purposes. Perhaps in the future I will go to 62t cases.
    1990 Freestyle SJ Project: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=59144
    X-jet Build: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=105471

Comment

• unclehulka13
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Jan 2004

i have noticed that polished surfaces hold more oil/etc rather then non polished
      i had half of my exhaust manifold polished, the other half was left unpolished and there was more stuck to the polished.
      Yadda Yadda

Comment

• FreestyleRiverRat
        I dream skis
        • Jan 2005

Hummm....... that is an interesting observation. Achually now that I think about it my mod chamber had alot of built up crap in it (smooth surface on the inside) and the pipe had significantly less build up (rough casting in comparison to the formed metal). But build up in the exhuat system is to be expected and is a different environment than the cases. The cases should have solvent (gas) in them that should not allow build up to occur, or should keep build up to an minimum. Plus the cases are not subjected to the heat of the combustion process nearly as much as the exhaust system. When I polish the cases I am not going for 100% smooth like the journals or anything, just smoothing out the scuffs from the sanding.
        1990 Freestyle SJ Project: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=59144
        X-jet Build: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=105471

Comment

• Wildman326
          Frequent Poster
          • Dec 2002

pics

Posting pics is bad for business? Guess I shoudn't have posted those pics on the cases I ported. Now I'm going to have less than good business.

I'm glad Paul from Jr Magoos doesn't share the same attitude. He's more than happy to show his work and doesn't seem to worry about how "bad" it is for business.

Would someone PLEASE post some pics? I've got a set of 61X cases that I'm going to port myself and don't want to have to do it just because people consider pictures of work they PAID for to be proprietary.

Comment

• runaway
            Frequent Poster
            • May 2004

Originally posted by unclehulka13
            Originally posted by runaway
            I had posted some pics of my head 61x, I will try and find them.
            DOH
            dont post pics of other peoples porting. its not good for business
            Whatever you say. Showing the intake track on my 61x case is going to cause any harm to any engine builders buisness.

Comment

• romack991
              Resident Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by unclehulka13
              I had posted some pics of my head 61x, I will try and find them.
              DOH
              dont post pics of other peoples porting. its not good for business
              Whatever you say. Showing the intake track on my 61x case is going to cause any harm to any engine builders buisness.
              yep, cause us do it yourselfers are too cheap to pay for it anyways :P

Comment

• SJ/XPBri
                Frequent Poster
                • Nov 2003

Question about porting- anyone had extrude honing done on their cylinders? I might be having it done, just looking to see if anyone has tried it.
                Bri
                SUR# 103
                MyWebsite

I have a Superjet and ask stupid questions about it

Comment

• mile9c1
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by SJ/XPBri
                  Question about porting- anyone had extrude honing done on their cylinders?
                  I think it would be a big waste of money.

Comment

• SJ/XPBri
                    Frequent Poster
                    • Nov 2003

Mile is that an "educated guess", or based on a cylinder that was extrude honed?
                    Thanks,
                    Bri
                    SUR# 103
                    MyWebsite

I have a Superjet and ask stupid questions about it

Comment

• mile9c1
                      • Oct 2002

I have no idea how it'll work on a cylinder, but I think they charge like $300+ to do it to a twin cylinder... think what else you could buy with that money... a B pipe, an aluminum flywheel, real porting, etc. Either of these mods would most likely feel a lot stronger than the honing. So IMO it's a waste of $$.

Also I question its value for a cylinder because most people say a rough surface is better, but extrude honing makes a smooth surface.

Comment

• Matt_E
                        • May 2004

Standard honing is done with 220 grit max I believe....and that's not all that fine.
                        If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

Comment

• Matt_E
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by mile9c1
                          You can't port the 62T cases very much unless you fill in the voids on the intake side with epoxy, because you'll cut into the voids and that won't work for obvious reasons.

A lot of people also fill in the "fingers" in the 62T cases but the 61X cases don't have fingers.

I'm not sure what I'd do to a set of 61X cases... I haven't looked at a set in a while.

What do you use to fill in the fingers?
                          If I sound like a moron, it's only because I haven't typed enough words yet.

Jetworks....Blowsion....Superfreak!....Thrust Innovations

Comment

• ski4
                            PWCToday Guru
                            • May 2003

I a curious as to what epoxy people are using in the case porting, the motor i have, had this done. the epoxy in places now seems to be flaking off.

I may need to try and sand it up a bit and fix this.
                            "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst

Comment

• mile9c1
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Matt_E
                              Standard honing is done with 220 grit max I believe....and that's not all that fine.
                              Extrude honing leaves a POLISHED surface! I have an extrude honed B pipe manifold/headpipe. It looks great but I don't think most people would feel a performance improvement from it (including myself).

Frestylegeek just epoxied his engine with something called Devcon (aluminum putty). Jr. Magoo recommended it, they have an internet site.

Comment

• nojuice
                                Resident Guru
                                • Oct 2005

My buddy had his cylinder done and he loved it. The trick is to do your porting first then have the Extrude hone done to the cylinder and manifold.
                                <---Head stand on a 550.

Comment

Working...
                                X