Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

My MACSBOOST review - Updated

Well rather than just post it's awesome and go buy one, I'll tell my experience after a full weekend of riding.

So first, the module installs literally in 5 minutes. I'd like to see some weather tight connectors instead of pins, but the wiring is waterproofed, so I do not see a long term problem, should be just fine.

Conditions: I was at the Colorado river in Blythe CA, on Saturday it was ~ 105, and the water was ~90-93 degrees. As I can only get 91 octane here in CA, I put in 5 gallons of 103 octane unleaded and then topped off with 91. I think this gives me around 94ish octane.

I had my daughter as a passenger all weekend, and my boat is an 02 F-12X with a custom pitched Solas impeller, and 3 intake grate bars removed.

So on the first ride, I rode kinda easy for 10 minutes or so to warm it up, then hit it from around 20 mph. Much improved midrange to top end charge, 30-50 seems to take around 1 second. You can certainly feel the extra 2+ lbs of boost, the arm stretch you normally get seems to be almost 2x.
    Out of the hole, my boat with stock boost has very little cavitation, but it now leaps out of the water much harder causing a little cavitation. The boat is definately quicker out of the hole now.

So now it was GPS time (Garmin Rino 120), and my boat stock on this same water earlier this year did 59.8 mph. The water was also MUCH cooler when it did 59.8.

My best peak one way run was 62.5, but the averages were around 61.7 both ways.

Realistically, I could care less if it went the same top speed, MACSBOOST is about the midrange for me. The midrange is killer now. At any time off boost, when I hit it I get about 6430 rpm's for a few seconds, then it settles to around 6360-6400 for as long as you keep it pinned.

Sunday: I had to add over 3/4 of a tank of gas, and it was 91 octane. Sunday is hotter and more humid. Probably 110+ degrees. So now I figure I have around 91.x octane.

I take off and it feels exactly the same, except if I keep it pinned for more than 20-30 seconds, the boat reduces boost and I get around 5800-5900 rpms. You must stop and remove the lanyard, then wait for the display to go out, then start back up and your full speed again. I got to the point where I could blast and then know when to let off for a while to keep from having the ECM reduce boost.

Fatalities: 15F Kawasaki. One point I had 3 up (equal to about 2 adults), and had a 15F ride up to the side of me (he was just himself), he looked over and we hit it at about 30 mph. I didn't blow by him by much, but he did get to see my tow ring. The midrange hit pushed me a boat or 2 in front, then my top speed was a mph or so higher, and I kept pulling away from him. There were a ton of Turbo Hondas on the river, and he picked the wrong one to mess with.

My observations: This kit gives you about 80% power of a properly setup manual boost controller kit. MACSBOOST retains the ECM's ability to reduce boost after the intercooler is heat soaked, the manual boost controller does not. This is easy to install, lift the seat only once, never ever hear an overboost alarm, no tweaking, no riding w/o your seat trying to look at gauges. Works the same from one day to the next which is sometimes an issue with manual boost controllers.

I suspect that cooler temperatures, both air and water will allow 91 octane to work properly at max power, but I haven't got a chance to try this yet. Sundays gas was really close to working, but was a point or 2 off. Ocean is next weekend, and it's 70 degree water temps, and 80 air. The stock intercooler does totally suck though. I think there are good gains to be had there with the added boost.

Conclusion: MACSBOOST will not allow you to hurt your motor by either too much boost, or too high temperatures. As the module uses 5 volts that the ECM was sending to the sensor to power itself (my guess), there is nothing electrical that the module could possibly do that could hurt the ECM other than dead shorting. I suspect the ECM is protected against that anyway, as sensors can short. So I see no electrical risk to the stock electronics, there was flawless operation over many gallons of gas over the weekend.

I think MAC hit a homerun with MACSBOOST.

This gives a great boost to the stock ski, and keeps all the stock protection in place. Bada$$ midrange hit, makes you want to slow back down so you can feel it over and over again. It's not the kind of add on you have to try and see if it made a difference, you'll feel it! Plug in and forget, no hassle.

So is it a keeper?

Well, the sticker is going on the boat tomorrow (after I wash it).

Thx MAC!

sweet, glad u like it!
    MACSBOOST!!! The Honda PWC Performance Experts. www.MacsBOOST.com
    Home of the MACSBOOST Module and the Fastest Honda PWC on the planet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufmQ_8bxU
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

PWCToday Regular
    Approx how much was your 0-30MPH time improved? Stock 0-30 is supposed to be 2.22 sec, while the RXP is pulling 1.87.

Yesterday I was beat out of the hole by a GTX, but I blew by him about 2 seconds into the race. He shouldn't have got those 2 seconds on me to start.

Quote Originally Posted by footbag
    Approx how much was your 0-30MPH time improved? Stock 0-30 is supposed to be 2.22 sec, while the RXP is pulling 1.87.

Yesterday I was beat out of the hole by a GTX, but I blew by him about 2 seconds into the race. He shouldn't have got those 2 seconds on me to start.
    I don't have any measured data to provide. I think cavitation is the problem that kills 0-30, an impeller and grate mod helps that. The extra boost shoots you out of the hole from 0 mph, definately a big seat of the pants improvement.

No doubt that with an impeller and extra boost you'll be even or faster out of the hole.
    05 F-12X

I'm on the drinking diet. I lost 2 days already.

Quote Originally Posted by west_coaster
    No doubt that with an impeller and extra boost you'll be even or faster out of the hole.
    I'll vouch for that! With my Impros modded Solas impeller and MACSBOOST, accell is like No Other!!

I actually had the oppertunity to hop onto a totally stock '03 R-12X this weekend while giving a fellow honda racer a chance to ride my ski... And, oh man, what a difference there is! Stock, you punch it and wait a while... Mine, you punch it and you're gone!
    Robert Stellhorn #811 -- Retired from Racing for the moment
    DJSA Staff Member
    '89 Yamaha SuperJet Square Nose, ready to put the hurt on anyone, anytime
    '02 Honda F-12X with more hours on it than i can count
    '03 Honda R-12X (most of it anyways) waiting in "mothball fleet" status

Added another picture to original post.....
    05 F-12X

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Westcoaster

I take off and it feels exactly the same, except if I keep it pinned for more than 20-30 seconds, the boat reduces boost and I get around 5800-5900 rpms. You must stop and remove the lanyard, then wait for the display to go out, then start back up and your full speed again. I got to the point where I could blast and then know when to let off for a while to keep from having the ECM reduce boost.

Im sure im not reading this correctly. Are you saying it will go back to stock rpm's etc if you hold it wide open for more than 20-30 seconds. So all you get is 30 seconds at a time of increased performance and then you need to stop and do the lanyard thing. Is that something that is in the instructions? MAC?

Where do you go in Blythe. I usally stay at Lost lake or Water Wheel about 30 miles.....north i guess....left of the 10. Also went to riviera and mayflower campgrounds once. Both nice big place but way to close to civilization for me to justify driving 4 hours.

Willy, you need to run 93 octane. if you dont, i.e 91 as in cali (west coaster), you will need to add a splash of race fuel to get it back up to near 93. this isnt much of an octane difference, but its enough to cause pinging on prolonged runs. If you go WOT in bursts, you are safe to run 91 or lower with a MACSBOOST without having the ECU drop your boost.
    MACSBOOST!!! The Honda PWC Performance Experts. www.MacsBOOST.com
    Home of the MACSBOOST Module and the Fastest Honda PWC on the planet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufmQ_8bxU
    Be our friend on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MACSBO...e/233077830901

Quote Originally Posted by willycrumb
    Westcoaster

Im sure im not reading this correctly. Are you saying it will go back to stock rpm's etc if you hold it wide open for more than 20-30 seconds. So all you get is 30 seconds at a time of increased performance and then you need to stop and do the lanyard thing. Is that something that is in the instructions? MAC?

Where do you go in Blythe. I usally stay at Lost lake or Water Wheel about 30 miles.....north i guess....left of the 10. Also went to riviera and mayflower campgrounds once. Both nice big place but way to close to civilization for me to justify driving 4 hours.
    Willy, I usually go to Martinez, this time was off Riviera near Goose Flat.

And for the fuel thing, I think we will be able to get away with 91 in cooler water. I'm going out in the ocean this weekend with 91 octane, I'll post how it does. It was really close last weekend, sometimes it triggered a boost reduction after 20-30 seconds, sometimes it didn't. That's why I think just a reduction in temperature will do it.

My buddy and I are designing a new intercooler, gonna use a Spearco bar and plate core, and an aluminum case. I removed the stock airbox, so there is some room in there for a bigger intercooler. The price of the core material is rediculous. Read Corky Bells maximum boost if your interested in intercoolers.
    05 F-12X

Frequent Poster
    Glad you see some performance increase, thats always nice. I wouldnt brag about a 15F kill though. You started at 30, which puts you in your powerband and the 15F looses its torquey holeshot its known for... THEN you raced for 20-30 seconds, because any longer than that, you would loose RPM? Not exactly a fatality, but more like a best-case scenario, in laboratory conditions.
    Jeff in Florida
    05 GP1300R
    05 STX-15F

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information