PWCToday Newbie

2002 STX 1100 DI only running on 1 cylinder

I just purchased an 02 STX 1100 DI

the person who sold it to me did the following:
    * Top end re-build, current compression is 120 PSI
    * Replaced Coils
    * Replaced Injectors
    * Replaced computer

and the ski will only run on the front cylinder. All three cylinders have great spark. the previous owner also put the computer from his other machine that is running and still only running on 1 cylinder,

I did pull the CPS and am getting .431K Ohms.

im not sure where to start looking ....... Thank you for your help

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 2002 STX 1100 DI only running on 1 cylinder

First of all, on the Ficht DI setup, the computer (emm) is MATCHED to the injectors. not only do they need to stay with the proper EMM, they also need to be in the proper position per cylinder! AND.....most of them this old need multiple repairs to the EMM. I've had SEVERAL rebuilt by Lakeside Tech.biz. Darrin is also VERY knowledgeable and can tell you what you need to check.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

can they be re-programed to work together or is the ski now junk?

I have no idea wich injectors go with wich EMM.

would this caus the ski to only run on one cylinder?

thank you for the information.

PWCToday Newbie

I contacted the prevous owner.
    He states that at the time he purchased it the compression was very low.
    He Rebuilt te top end and it would only run on the front cylinder. He then purchased new coils and put them in with the same result. Then he purchased new EMM and injectors with the same result. he then put the origional back int the machine and still csame result ony firing on front cylinder.

Frequent Poster

Thanks @Myself for the kind words

While EMMs are always on the list of subjects (until/unless they've been repaired at Lakeside Tech ) I am wondering if the injector voltage might be low (bad stator winding(s) for example, or a miswired aftermarket stator). (Thinking since two EMMS have the same symptom of running on only one cylinder).

First step on the list of DI troubleshooting is to check the voltage on the common injector wires (red/blk on a Kawi), also present at the diagnostic plug. This should be 18V-20VDC WHEN CRANKING. If low, either the EMM or stator is suspect.

Here is how to test the stator (credit to K447 on GH):

The Ficht stator is not grounded at any point. It is a floating AC power source, that feeds directly into the EMM.

There should be no continuity between any of the Ficht stator coils and the engine ground.
    The 12-pin wire harness connector is unplugged from the EMM and the meter probe tips are touched to the appropriate hollow pins in the wire harness connector. Don't force the probes into the connector as you don't want to damage the hollow pins, you just need to make contact.

If your meter probes are too thick you can extract the colored plastic insert that covers the front of the pins and then directly access the exposed pin ends. Don't lose the thin flexible rim gasket and be sure to put it back together properly afterwards.

Easiest to have one person hold the meter probes in place (for voltage checks) while another presses the Start button for a few seconds. Note the meter reading, then repeat for the next stator coil.

Do do not crank the engine when checking ohms, of course. Cranking is only for the AC voltage tests.

See attached for connector pinouts and AC voltages on the Ficht 12-pin stator cable connector while cranking (fully charged and healthy battery required).

1 (BROWN/WHITE) AND 12 (BROWN) 7VAC (feeds 12 volt rectifier section, coil resistance 0.1 - 0.3 ohms)
    2 (BROWN/BLACK) AND 11 (BROWN/YELLOW) 7VAC (feeds 12 volt rectifier section, coil resistance 0.1 - 0.3 ohms)

3 (YELLOW/BLUE) AND 10 (YELLOW) 5VAC (feeds 45 volt rectifier section, coil resistance 0.3 - 0.5 ohms)
    4 (YELLOW/PURPLE) AND 9 (YELLOW/BLACK) 5VAC (feeds 45 volt rectifier section, coil resistance 0.3 - 0.5 ohms)
    5 (YELLOW/GREEN) AND 8 (YELLOW/GRAY) 5VAC (feeds 45 volt rectifier section, coil resistance 0.3 - 0.5 ohms)

There are three stator coils that feed the 45 volt DC system (5 VAC while cranking), and two stator coils (7 VAC while cranking) that feed the 12 volt battery charging system.

What you want to see is that each coil puts out the about same voltage as the others of that group. The actual voltage might be slightly different depending on the battery strength, spark plugs being in or out, and how accurate your meter is.

All the stator AC coils feed into the EMM via the 12 pin connector. Both the 45 volt and 12 volt DC outputs come out of the EMM on the 8-pin connector, and then feed into the rest of the system.

The 45 volt feed out of the EMM goes through the diagnostic 4-pin loop connector (via the White/Red wire), then back into the EMM via the big 40-pin connector.
    All Ficht stator checks are done with the 12-pin connector unplugged. Ohms and AC volts.

All checks of the DC output from the EMM are done with both connectors plugged IN. And all the fuel injectors plugged in.

Any clean metal spot on the engine is just fine for engine ground reference tests. I often use the same ground screw where the wire harness ground wire connects to the front of the engine near the ignition coil.
    Last edited by Hiperco; 01-24-2023 at 09:03 PM.
    FICHT EMM Repairs (Polaris, Kawasaki, Tigershark)
    http://lakesidetech.biz/
    http://fb.me/lakesidetech1
    http://fichtemmrepairs.com

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for all the info

I will test it this weekend

Frequent Poster

BTW, the wire colors on the stator info above are for a Polaris, but the rest of the info applies to a Kawi DI
    FICHT EMM Repairs (Polaris, Kawasaki, Tigershark)
    http://lakesidetech.biz/
    http://fb.me/lakesidetech1
    http://fichtemmrepairs.com

Thread Information