Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Hydro-Turf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

JS steering cable question

Question: is there anyway to get the play out of an older steering cable or do they just have to be replaced? I have a couple of old JS skis that are really loose feeling when going straight or on initiating turns. After looking at them they are tight at the connectors (replaced them a season ago) but the cable itself appears to be able to move a 1/4 of an inch or maybe more INSIDE the sheath. In other words I see the cable going in at one end of the sheath but not coming out the other for a bit. My thinking is that the inside of the cable sheath has worn and the cable just has more area in there to move and this causes the slack. Does this sound right? Before pulling them out I thought I would check with folks in the know. Thanks.

PWCToday Regular

Re: JS steering cable question

Bump. To reword the question: do new steering cables have any play in them within the sheath? Just want to be sure I'm not chasing a rabbit down a hole before replacing an easily moving steering cable (no restrictions) that appears to have slop/movement inside itself.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

JS 550s are not precision built jet skis , they are loose and sloppy to ride and tons of fun , a new cable may make a difference , sure could not hurt , knock it out , see if it’s any better

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bandit88's Avatar

I think if the inside of the sheath was worn enough to allow 1/4" of play it would feel so gritty and bad that it would be obvious that the cable is junk and needs to be replaced. I would look closer at the ball coupler ends. Those can wear and have a good amount of slop in the connection.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks Bandit88 for the advice. I went down that road last summer and installed a newer design on both ends that uses a 1 piece gizmo (ball and socket). That did remove some of the end play but still I get about a 1/4 of cable movement from one end to the other. That said I will take another look at the movement to confirm before pulling this thing out. Does anyone know if there is movement in a new cable? More to come.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Check the fitting in the hull where the cable passes through. I am wondering if you have something broken, missing, or installed incorrectly here.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Regular

Thanks John. I have only been looking at the metal end of the sheath where the cable goes in. I suppose the press clamps that hold the plastic sheath to the metal ends could be loose - that would do it. Let me look further in to it. Jim

PWCToday Regular

And will check the connections on hull as well...

PWCToday Regular

Update: had someone help compare both ends of the cable and all movements. While the cable is moving inside the sheath between 1/8 and 1/4, the nozzle itself might be adding more to the freeplay than that. The bushings appear to be very worn as the nozzle can be moved both side to side slightly and back and forth. I am going to fabricate a bushing or something to tighten it up and retest. I am attaching a photo of the cable ends I installed last year that helped but did not help enough...

connector.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Camasaki's Avatar

I have slop in my 550s. Don't notice it one bit when riding. Good luck though
    You can't drink all day, if you don't start in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information