• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whizbang
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Dec 2022

New Jet-N-Spray Owner Starting a restoration

Long time fan, first time owner/poster. I’ve been eyeing these machines for a few years now and finally found one semi-close and made the trek to buy it one snowy evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20221215-185128_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	4564361

The owner list before me is pretty small and it has been sold with pretty much all paper work, including original bill of sale. Based on that paper work, it’s a 1995 Jet-N-Spray 650XTC with the 650cc Yamaha engine. Factory add-on option we have is the giant Riva performance exhaust. Even got the custom built trailer with it.

In looking at some of the service records – it has a history of destroying starters, flywheels and stators.
    We purchased the boat in a non-running state and it appears water got into the outboard motor bearing behind the flywheel and the last owner’s teenage son tried to take the entire engine apart and fix it. He got through complete disassembly and stopped. So we are piecing together the parts we have and trying to figure out what we don’t from various photos online and also replacing what looks to be in rough shape.

Name:	20221126_190302.jpg
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	4564362
    Engine Semi-Pieced Together

At this point we have new old stock flywheel, stator, a cheap starter, new Bendix gear, new gasket set and outboard bearing from SBT. We are looking at buying new rings and hope to be reassembling the engine soon. Current issues are: We purchased Yamaha waverunner 3 650 engine service manual WRA650 but we don’t know if it is right because our engine is stamped with 6M6 and 6R8 and jet drive is 6R7. We also have too many bolts and those that we have do not fit where we are still missing a few. Wiring is a complete disaster and so I really need a wiring diagram. I see that Seloc makes a specific Jet-N-Cat manual but appears to only cover the older models, not the new models. Does anyone have a manual for one circa 1995?

Name:	20221212_163033.jpg
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	4564363
    Wiring Nightmare

As far as the actual boat hull, the back vertical corner bumpers are damaged and need repair. There are also a few chips in the fiberglass on the front but the tailgate is nearly perfect and I have the lights poles. I am hoping since this is a 1995 and it has reverse that this is a 144mm pump but if there is a way to confirm I am interested in learning.

I am very interested in any spare molding pieces for the back corners of the boat, the rear deck drains, and I am super interested if anyone knows where I could find a Bimini top. I am sure I will find more things wrong, but I live in MI and haven’t had opportunity to put it in the water (obviously) nor have I taken time to clean the hull (engine is out) since it is sitting outside.

While I have the engine out, is there anything I should do to bullet proof the engine or any other learnings from others I should really know?
  • jpswift1
    PWCToday Regular
    • Sep 2019

Re: New Jet-N-Spray Owner Starting a restoration

Very cool! Those Jet-N-Sprays are a blast! I thought those came with 701's, but I'm not 100% sure. If you see "61x" stamped anywhere on the engine, it's a 701. The 701's are MUCH better than the 650's. You can really make them move. There's tons of information on them over at the xh2o site.

If it is a 650, I'd highly recommend upgrading to a 701. They looks very similar and will bolt right in. I have a complete 100% ready to bolt in and go 701 that runs perfect that I took out of my personal machine (a FX1). It is 100% complete and has everything that you need to drop it in and go, even all the electrical.

I'm almost 100% sure that this would be the 144mm pump. Can you post some pictures of some of the numbers that are cast on the pump and we can give you a for sure answer. Keep us updated on the project, it looks like a blast!

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Aug 2006

Re: New Jet-N-Spray Owner Starting a restoration

Originally posted by jpswift1 View Post
      Very cool! Those Jet-N-Sprays are a blast! I thought those came with 701's, but I'm not 100% sure. If you see "61x" stamped anywhere on the engine, it's a 701. The 701's are MUCH better than the 650's. You can really make them move. There's tons of information on them over at the xh2o site.

If it is a 650, I'd highly recommend upgrading to a 701. They looks very similar and will bolt right in. I have a complete 100% ready to bolt in and go 701 that runs perfect that I took out of my personal machine (a FX1). It is 100% complete and has everything that you need to drop it in and go, even all the electrical.

I'm almost 100% sure that this would be the 144mm pump. Can you post some pictures of some of the numbers that are cast on the pump and we can give you a for sure answer. Keep us updated on the project, it looks like a blast!
      Well yes. no maybe, regretably if it is 650 powered it probably is using the WR500 jet pump which means putting power in it isn't going to do a lot.

They did come with 701's also and those had 144 pumps in them, if you have one with that pump you are good to go, I have worked on several of these and they are nice fun little boats , just a lot mor fun with the 701-760 and a 144 pump in them.
      Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
      hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• whizbang
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Dec 2022

Does anyone have a parts manual or at least bolt schematic for the 650 and 701 engines?

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
          PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
          • Aug 2006

Over on X-H20 there is a Mcmaster Carr bolt list if that is what you are looking for.

The Official McMaster Carr Part Number List | Page 2 | X-H2o
          Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
          hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• whizbang
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Dec 2022

Does anyone have a detailed electrical schematic for the Yamaha 650 and the key switch for the jet N Spray? I have my rebuilt engine in the boat and it spin but I have no spark, ive determined my CDI is bad and/or something is not connected to my key switch. I have 2 unused wires at my key switch and according to the CDI test per thr waverunner 650 manual my CDI is likely bad but the extra wires at the key make me nervouse. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X