Kawi SXR 800 Thumb Throttle Installed; How to Fit Throttle Cable in Handlebar Cover?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Hydro-Turf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Kawi SXR 800 Thumb Throttle Installed; How to Fit Throttle Cable in Handlebar Cover?

I have replaced the stock finger throttle on an SXR 800 with a thumb throttle from a 650 SX. I got the throttle cable adapter from Watcon and everything is installed and functioning. I am not sure how to install the handlebar cover without having to cut/modify. The throttle cable for the stock finger throttle exits the throttle in front of the handlebar. The cable for the thumb throttle exits from the rear of the handlebar.

I don't see any way to make the handlebar cover fit over the throttle cable. I have the stock handlebar.

How have others that have converted to thumb throttles on SXR 800s solved this? Thank you.

Doug A.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: Kawi SXR 800 Thumb Throttle Installed; How to Fit Throttle Cable in Handlebar Cov

It will not install the way you want it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Kawi SXR 800 Thumb Throttle Installed; How to Fit Throttle Cable in Handlebar Cov

@Jonnyx2 - can you go further? What do you mean? The 650 thumb throttle won't work, the stock handlebar cover with it, or what? Thanks.

Frequent Poster

Just curious why would you change to the thumb throttle?

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D D A View Post
    @Jonnyx2 - can you go further? What do you mean? The 650 thumb throttle won't work, the stock handlebar cover with it, or what? Thanks.
    Stock handlebar cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

The 650s that we have with thumb throttles are preferred by most of the guest riders over our 800s. The finger throttles on the 800s, along with the ski itself are very responsive. In chop, that finger control is harder to tame. My plan is to change one 800 to thumb throttle and see how we like it.

Frequent Poster

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by D D A View Post
    The 650s that we have with thumb throttles are preferred by most of the guest riders over our 800s. The finger throttles on the 800s, along with the ski itself are very responsive. In chop, that finger control is harder to tame. My plan is to change one 800 to thumb throttle and see how we like it.
    Yeah youíre not gonna like it. Donít know why anyone would ever go back to a thumb throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Poster

That's what I was thinking but to each his own. Whatever floats your boat!

People who have Arthritis in their Trigger Finger and Long Distance Leisure Riders prefer the Thumb Throttle, as the Thumb has more endurance and strength.

However, the Thumb Grip is the strongest, so Freestylers and Racers prefer Finger Throttles. Both Freestyle and Race Events typically have short durations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information