• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 95xprider
    PWCToday Newbie
    • May 2020

Mpem 15 amp fuse

Bought a couple non running 96 XP’s
    actually the one ran when I put a good battery in it. But put it in lake and didn’t want to go.
    So I checked fuses, and the one 15 amp on the mpem was like it melted into the mpem. Guessing the mpem is fried? But how do I know what caused it? Is that the vts that would do that? Or is it maybe from the previous owner jump starting it, with a big battery charger?
    The vts motor is stuck and rusty too, so the vts could be shorted out or whatever happens when water gets in it.
    I’m also wondering how it would even run at all without a fuse in there?
    any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by 95xprider; 09-07-2022, 02:30 AM.
  • WFO Speedracer
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Aug 2006

Re: Mpem 15 amp fuse

Vts is usually a separate 7.5 amp fuse
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• 95xprider
      PWCToday Newbie
      • May 2020

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
      Vts is usually a separate 7.5 amp fuse
      I read somewhere, in some thread that the vts could even fry the mpem in some cases.
      Oh by the way the 7.5 fuse is blown.
      In my book it says the 15 amp fuses protect the charging system. Could the stator be shorted or something and putting out too many amps? I’m not sure what happens if it’s shorted?

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
        • Aug 2006

Yes the 15 amp fuse is for the charging system, on a 96 XP the CDI is DC so the only thing in the stator that has to do with the ignition is the pickup coil .
        It is very possible it would still run with a fried stator at least till the battery ran down.
        hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Comment

• 95xprider
          PWCToday Newbie
          • May 2020

So definitely need to see if battery is charging. Will I get any charging if that 15 amp fuse isn’t there? Not sure if I can get that piece of the old fuse out. If I do how do I tell if the mpem is any good?
          Then would it be a good idea to pull the front cover, off the stator. Engine really looks corroded and hull kinda looks like water might have been sitting in it.

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
            • Aug 2006

As far as I know there is not test on the MPEM, you will know it's good if everything still works.

Comment

• 95xprider
              PWCToday Newbie
              • May 2020

Just wanted to share some information I found about why fuses melt.
              I guess it’s from corrosion on the connection, which creates heat. Then the heat creates oxidation which creates more heat an finally melts the plastic.
              So they say there isn’t anything wrong with the charging circuit or whatever circuit it is. Just that there was corrosion on the fuse connection.
              Maybe everyone knows this, but I never knew that.
              Last edited by 95xprider; 09-08-2022, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X