Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: 98 GSXL Intermittent start cycling / loss of power

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    I am not sure how to state this, I am not looking for high voltage that is what the regulator does, the problem is usually in the rectifier portion of it, did you run it with the fuse taken out or the three yellow wires disconnected, if not we haven't made any progress.
    Thanks I did try to run it and take out the 15 amp fuse at the MPEM and the ski just dies as if it was turned off. Is that normal?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I don't know if that is normal or not , I have never tried it, I would disconnect the three yellow wires and see what happens.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

I haven't had the chance to get mine back in the water. I did some testing on mine yesterday.

-Tested the Start/Stop button and it's bad. Ohm meter kept jumping around when the button was pressed. The tone on my multimeter was in and out too. Ordered a new one.

-Tested the Dess post, and everything checked out correctly.

-Tested the stator again using the wiring harness I mentioned before. Each of the yellow lines tested at 1.3 ohms, but it's supposed to be between .1 - 1 ohm. It's brand new, so I'm not sure why it isn't testing in range. I compared it with the old one when I had them both on the bench, and both were fine. I put the new in as a preventative measure.

-Tested the trigger coil, and it tested fine on the ohm meter, but the voltage test didn't read correctly. While cranking the engine, the voltage ranged anywhere from 1.3-1.5 Vac. The manual says it should be .2-.5 Vac. It's brand new as well, so I'm a little worried about it and the new stator.

-Tested the spark plug caps. They should have 5k Ohm resistance. One tested right on the nose, but the other was 4.6k Ohms. I order two new ones. I suspect the lower one could have been causing issues on it's cylinder but I'm not sure how much "out of spec" is acceptable. I couldn't find anything on NGK's website about it.

I have the new ignition coils coming in today. It'll likely be Thursday before I get a chance to work on it again. I'm going to remove the Anderson plug for the battery, and hook it up directly again. I'll replace the start/stop switch, and the spark plug caps, then run it in the water. If the problems are still there, I'll replace the ignition coils.

Trying to do one item at a time so I can find the root cause eventually.
    Last edited by NCGator25; 09-19-2022 at 01:15 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Well, looks like my season is over. I was working on the ski today, hoping the fixes I planned were going work. However, I decided to check the raves again. The mag rave wouldn't come out, and it was stuck. I eventually got it out, but when checking the pistons just to be safe, I realized the mag piston had a hole in it. I must've tighten the rave bolts too much, and it hit the piston. Looks like I'll need a new top end now. Pretty disappointed...

NC I shouldn't have to state the obvious but you found your problem, no need looking any further, engine was seizing up and loosing power, Scooby doo and the gang can go home now , this mystery is solved , everyone get back in the van.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday Newbie

I was able to get the engine removed this afternoon. Here's some pics of the pistons.

20220922_190757.jpg20220922_193527.jpg20220922_193533.jpg

PWCToday Newbie

I guess I need to figure out now whether to do a full rebuild, or just a top end. It seems most recommend a full rebuild on this engine. Any recommendations on builders WFO?

No but I have to ask when did checking the simple stuff first stop being what people did ?

I will give an example, I picked up two ZXI's yesterday a 900 and an 1100 no prior history on either one, first thing I did was stick a screwdriver through the hole in the driveshaft, both engines are free, 1100 has the carbs off and some small pieces are missing and it's missing a key.

The 900 is all together and all there, so the second thing I want to know is the compression, I put a battery in the 900 it spins over, I check compression it's good, I check spark , it has it, I remove the top of the flame arrestor and dribble some oil down the carbs, oil line from tank is missing and tank is empty, I spray some carb cleaner down the carbs turn it over and it fires up.

On to the 1100 I put the battery in it and the key off of the 900 worked on it, I get a solid click from the solenoid, it does not turn over, I jump the solenoid post , nothing happens, I can make no assumptions about anything else on this engine till I get a starter on it and can check compression and spark, is any of this starting to make sense ?

Of course the carbs have to be cleaned as well as the fuel tanks and all the oil lines have to be replace as well as the broken plastic pieces on the electrical boxes to make sure these skis stay operational for a long time to come.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 09-22-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    I don't know if that is normal or not , I have never tried it, I would disconnect the three yellow wires and see what happens.
    I did it today as follows.

Made a harness to allow only the pickup coil signal to go the the MPEM. Ski started up and ran normally for about 10 minutes and then I shut it off and connected back the 3 wires of the magneto. Ran it for like about 30 min before the problem started again. Disconnected the 3 wires to see if the problem would go away and the problem continued. Should I do the test again and not connect the 3 wires at all? Worried the battery will die before the problem starts again.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Woowie!! That front cylinder was running WAY lean. You need to do a full teardown to inspect and "feel" the condition of all the crank and counterbalance bearings.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information