1998 XP Limited Erratic Cranking - crank, crank, (pause) crank crank crank (pause)
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1998 XP Limited Erratic Cranking - crank, crank, (pause) crank crank crank (pause)

1998 XP limited with 951 engine

The starter will not spin the engine steadily and consistently. Pushing the start button it might spin normally for several rotations but eventually reverts to cranking a single rotation or two. Sounds horrible.

New battery
    New solenoid
    Three different starters
    New Bendix
    No voltage drop on cables
    Beeps normally
    Pulled the pump. It spins freely.

If I jumper across the solenoid secondary outputs the starter/engine cranks normally
    If I carefully apply 12v and ground to the solenoid primary coils the solenoid energizes and the starter cranks normally
    I have pulled the connector 3 from the MPEM and tested the start switch and it appears to be working
    I pierced the wires to the start switch at the switch end and shorted them together bypassing the switch and the problem remains - erratic cranking
    I have continuity from MPEM connector 2 to solenoid primary coil.

Just for grins I replaced all the fuses

It appears that the solenoid is not receiving start signal from MPEM. Is there a reed relay or something inside the MPEM that went bad?

Thanks for any help.

Other notes
    It's always done this to some degree in the nine years I've had it. Always started eventually until now and even now it starts sometimes. Don't ever flood it though.
    Had a brief fire in the engine bay once and the wiring harness looks bad but never noticed any impact from that.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 1998 XP Limited Erratic Cranking - crank, crank, (pause) crank crank crank (pause

Take a good look at the teeth on the flywheel it sounds like they may be chewed up kicking the bendix out prematurely
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1998 XP Limited Erratic Cranking - crank, crank, (pause) crank crank crank (pause

Thanks. I don't think that's it. It cranks fine if I bypass the solenoid and it doesn't make any slipping sounds. I had the flywheel off twice to replace the Bendix. It was in good condition then.

One Bendix failed internally - 7-8 years old. The other lasted a week and the fine teeth all broke off.

No problems seen on the 19-tooth side, Bendix or flywheel

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

It's very possible you have a relay "latching" problem in the MPEM. Find the output to the start solenoid on the AMP connector and backprobe it. Watch the DC voltage as you hit the start button and see if it keeps dropping out. I've seen issues like this with MPEMs in the past. You could rewire solenoid power to only power up when the MPEM is on like the gauges.....then rewire the start button to trigger the solenoid ground. That would solve the problem without replacing the MPEM.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

(this is the same reply I thought I sent last night)

Thanks! The signal to the solenoid is definitely bouncing so the problem must be inside the MPEM.

As to your suggested solution: "You could rewire solenoid power to only power up when the MPEM is on like the gauges.....then rewire the start button to trigger the solenoid ground. That would solve the problem without replacing the MPEM."

Does this suggestion take into account that the Start button is also the Stop? It seems to me that any bypass of the MPEM would result in the starter cranking whenever the red button is pushed. Thank-you.

That is correct. It would ONLY start after that. To stop you would simply pull the lanyard.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    That is correct. It would ONLY start after that. To stop you would simply pull the lanyard.
    Would you power it off of the gauge wires, I know they piggybak the gauges so there is always a hot wire coming off the last gauge ?
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

That's where I would power from.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Quote Originally Posted by KDTravis View Post
    1998 XP limited with 951 engine

The starter will not spin the engine steadily and consistently. Pushing the start button it might spin normally for several rotations but eventually reverts to cranking a single rotation or two. Sounds horrible.

New battery
    New solenoid
    Three different starters
    New Bendix
    No voltage drop on cables
    Beeps normally
    Pulled the pump. It spins freely.

If I jumper across the solenoid secondary outputs the starter/engine cranks normally
    If I carefully apply 12v and ground to the solenoid primary coils the solenoid energizes and the starter cranks normally
    I have pulled the connector 3 from the MPEM and tested the start switch and it appears to be working
    I pierced the wires to the start switch at the switch end and shorted them together bypassing the switch and the problem remains - erratic cranking
    I have continuity from MPEM connector 2 to solenoid primary coil.

Just for grins I replaced all the fuses

It appears that the solenoid is not receiving start signal from MPEM. Is there a reed relay or something inside the MPEM that went bad?

Thanks for any help.

Other notes
    It's always done this to some degree in the nine years I've had it. Always started eventually until now and even now it starts sometimes. Don't ever flood it though.
    Had a brief fire in the engine bay once and the wiring harness looks bad but never noticed any impact from that.
    Must be the season for this issue i'm having the same thing happen on my 98 GSXL! So its the MPEM internally. Did you try pulling the magneto plug off? Watch how it cranks perfect without the plug connected.
    Last edited by Rconce01; 09-04-2022 at 08:40 PM.

Usually if you pull the mag plug off it does nothing because the system has no ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information