Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

550sx crank question

Hi everyone, new guy here. I recently bought a 1991 Kawasaki 550sx for a winter project. First job is rebuilding the engine and first part of that is rebuilding the crank. Wondering if anyone has specs for rebuilding these cranks (runout, phasing, clearances, etc) or any tips to help the job go smoothly. It's my first attempt at rebuilding a pressed together crank so any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Phill

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 550sx crank question

unless you have some way of putting that crankshaft back in phase , you best leave it to someone who does.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

That won't be a problem. I've been a machinist for 20 years, if we don't have something in the shop I can make it. I'm really just looking for any specs I can find on this crank so I don't have to go by what it measured before I pressed it apart.

Phill

Yeah I would just leave it to somebody like group k or SBT… no matter how many years you’ve been a machinist you’ve never done 550 crank. Better to just leave it to a company that’s been doing 30+ years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bandit88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.104 View Post
    Yeah I would just leave it to somebody like group k or SBT… no matter how many years you’ve been a machinist you’ve never done 550 crank. Better to just leave it to a company that’s been doing 30+ years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It should be a crime to group GroupK and SBT together. One has been doing quality work on vintage motors for a long time and the other hacks together stuff and uses sub par parts for max profit.

76wagon,
    Some of the info you are looking for can be found in the manuals on here http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...=1#post3311375. It may be beneficial to get a Kawasaki 550sx shop manual, there will probably be more details.

PWCToday Newbie

I know it's good advice to leave it to the professionals, that's usually the advice I give people. Problem is I'm cheap, stubborn, and get more determined once I'm told I can't do something.

I'm planning on giving this the old college try, and if that doesn't pan out I'll probably start looking for a more common engine to swap into it. At the end of the day it's not rocket appliances, it's just a jetski.

Thanks for the link bandit88, that should help out a lot. I've been looking for a shop manual but haven't found one yet that will ship to Canada for a decent price. This thing came in boxes and I've never had a stand-up before so I can't just go off memory this time.

Cheers!

Phill

Blog Entries

All Jeff at competitive crankshafts his shop is in Idaho but he used to do the ADR cranks and now just rebuilds crankshafts. If you need specs that’s the guy I recommend

Follow your own Advice and send it to a Pro Shop. With your Machinist Knowledge and Tools you can do proper Quality Control on it to see if the new Crank is within Specs/Tolerances.

"it's just a jetski", "A Child's Toy", "just like a Lawnmower", "so Cheap compared to my 600 HP V-8" or "I normally spend $30K on an Engine"...

Famous Last Words of Plenty who have been humbled by a PWC Two Stroke Engine.

Heard this primarily from Muscle Car Gear Heads. But they stop smiling and smirking after melting a couple of Engines in a row and their Wallets are $2K+ lighter. Major hit to their Ego.

Even had one Muscle Car Guy(that looked like the angry OC Chopper's Dad: Big, Tall and On the Juice) mock Me and his Son whom I was coaching on a Jetski Two Stroke Rebuild. Muscle Head was such a Tool, I left Him to finish the rebuild with his Son. That Engine ran like a Turd and never ran right. Slower than Stock. The disappointment made the Son drop out of the Sport...

Even though these 2 Stroke Engines have very few Components there are plenty of things that can easily go wrong. Best of luck and Enjoy the Ride.
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 08-17-2022 at 06:00 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

It's been a while but I'm back. My bearings finally showed up and I've got the crank pressed together and running true. Up next is figuring out which shims to use to get the proper end play. The exploded view of the crank shows a 1mm shim at the flywheel end and another shim between .2-.6mm at both ends. My question is whether I try and keep those shims the same thickness as each other to keep everything centered or if there's something else to measure to determine how much shim should go to each side. I'm probably overthinking it but thinking's cheaper than doing it twice.

Phill

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bionic racing's Avatar

Crank should fit tight in cases against case shim washers , they are all different fit so drop in , measure , add shims , not enough , front rod will slip foreword from flywheel weight

Thread Information