Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1996 Kawasaki 900 ZXI key switch replacement/alternative

The key switch on my ski is bad, 100%. New OEM key with switch is to expensive so I am looking for a direct alternative. Does anyone one have any idea how to use an alternative (key and switch) as a replacement for the OEM parts? I have looked thru just about all the posts on multiple sites with no luck. I know a lot of guys will be following this post so I hope someone can help us out.

I donít really need a keyed switch if that helps me get this issue solved. I would also need a sketch to get it wired up if possible.

Thanks in advance. You guys are great here and your posts really help me get this old girl running.

Steve

Re: 1996 Kawasaki 900 ZXI key switch replacement/alternative

The key switch wiring is basic. There's just one pair of power wires for 'On' and one pair that grounds the ignitor when 'Off'.

Screenshot_20220803-131048_SmartOffice.jpg
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday Newbie

guy48065 A Huge Thank You

I really appreciate your help here. I think I understand the switch wiring and maybe I am overthinking it. Would I be correct in thinking I would need a switch that in the off position I would have continuity between W and BK/W ?

That’s my problem locating a switch as most switches in the “on” position make the R and R/W and in the “off” position breaks continuity between R and R/W. Example an on/off toggle switch. With that said I am not sure how to control W and the BK/W in the off position with a single toggle or key switch?

Are you thinking perhaps two waterproof toggle switches? Thats what I’m thinking looking at the wiring diagram?

Thank you again, really appreciated!

A DPDT switch means "double pole, double throw". Typically there would be 2 sets of 3 terminals on such a switch, each side isolated from the other, each having contacts that are closed in one toggle position and open in the other.

IMG_20220803_183626.jpg

It might be more of a challenge finding a proper waterproof toggle than I first thought. Those rubber boots that cover the handle only seal from the front. On a pwc that's designed to survive being submerged you should use a completely waterproof switch. Mil-spec, if possible.
    I thought these would be common on eBay or Amazon but I couldn't find any on a quick search.
    You might have to order from a REAL electronics supplier like Mouser.
    Last edited by guy48065; 08-03-2022 at 06:53 PM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I looked through the Mouser catalog and found the type of switch you described. I will have to call them to help spec the correct configuration as the catalog is complicated for my level of experience.

Looks like this should not be difficult if I get the switch configuration correct. It’s a great inexpensive fix for a problem many of the guys have or will have.

Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help. I’ll be sure to play it forward and help someone when I can!

You might like Digikey better.
    Easier to search, easier to order.

Selection of IP68 waterproof DPDT toggles:
    https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...cA7tzTIAFoxCQA

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/.../S6AWB/9698995

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...201SSQ/9829425

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...B-4B13/3190611

That last one is "only" $18.75. I guess that's actually cheap for what it is. It probably costs the DOD $9000 each. Lol
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday Newbie

Right now, I am wading through the Mouser catalog you guided me too looking for a "red non-illuminated 12v sealed rocker switch". I think a red rocker would look nice on the dash as opposed to a toggle, but I may have to settle for a black rocker if I can't find red. Catalog provided below if you dare?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/6...eet-370201.pdf

The big challenge lies here, which one??? If I could pin down the specific part number problem solved? Any chance you could explain what, (on) vs on, indicates. I am just not sure what the parentheses () indicate?

Thank you
    I really truly appreciate your help and the guidance provided!!!!

Again, Big Huge Thanks

(on) means a momentary position.

For example the Trim rocker would be (On) - Off - (On)

Digikey shows only one in-stock waterproof rocker that mounts in a round hole--but it's a big hole.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...SXX2X/13239323
    Last edited by guy48065; 08-04-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    96 & 97 1100Zxi

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Most boat kill switches make two connections like that, I believe they have two sets of contacts one set to disconnect ,. one set that connects two wires.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Any thoughts on which switch? Be nice to find a non-illuminated toggle but having no luck.

Thanks for helping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information