what kind of paint were/are PWC's painted with?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

what kind of paint were/are PWC's painted with?

from reading and others around me...i know that skis are made from/in a mold...i guess layered(paint/smc) then glued together(top/bottom)...but if your redoing one...repair...maybe custom...unless you know the paint..chances are...unless you paint the whole thing...seems like you'd be just guessing what paint it is and only caring about the match...i've had so many here tell me to use Krylon because this thing ain't worth that much and who cares...yeah..that's not gonna happen...but that's my question..."what kind of paint is used?"

I'm still on the fence about painting my old 89 waverunner and it got me thinking...what kind of paint is used on PWC's..past and present? I did some research and the old kawasaki standups used Imron..what did the old waverunners use?
    Since the PWC's are made of SMC...it's confusing to find out what paint will work with what..and what preperation is needed for each...what are modern PWC's painted with? I've read that epoxy paint is desirable but wont attach to this or that as well...and gel coat is great but it's not great for this or that...and then I hear..use auto paint...that seems to be a common thread..basically don't think too much into it...epoxy paint..polyurethane...gel coat...Imron...and other alternatives...I guess if you've done it more than once it's a pretty easy choice...but if you haven't...the process of picking the right paint and process can be frustrating/confusing

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: what kind of paint were/are PWC's painted with?

Paint codes given to us from Yamaha were in Sherman Williams automotive paint which I have used in the past and it is total crap, we switched to PPG Deltron single stage polyurethane and I was able to blend it into the existing paint using PPG blender , basically you could not find the repaired areas.
    I used to do all the repairs for the local Yamaha shop , even on brand new skis that were damaged in the crate or in shipping
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Late response...sorry folks

I just talked to our local boat repair/fiberglass guy and he said exactly the same thing...the old yamaha paint was crap...said you can/could order from their(yamaha) site and its the same color but better paint...so the "from the factory" paint was crap...but the newer paint is better quality..said exactly the same about blending...you couldn't blend with the factory yamaha paint...can rub the white and it would come off on your finger...no matter how hard you tried it would blend/feather together...just paint the whole thing...pentioned single stage as a way to go..simpler...auto paint basically...gel coat is also ok but a little longer process...also mentioned a product called featherfil as a primer as a go to...unfortunatly..in my area there are only 2 places to do it...1 is possible the other is booked up...he mentioned this is not a job for amateurs
    Last edited by newjs; 08-02-2022 at 03:40 PM.

Single stage is not hard to shoot and once it's cured runs can be sanded and buffed. if you are shooting white realize that white is the hardest color to shoot because it contains less pigment and it runs easier.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday Newbie

If I end up making the attempt it would definatly be white...I got some ideas from others as to what I should do(mixed colors and other options) but I was not really wanting it to be a solid color...mainly because If there is any unevenness in my repair job...from the sanding..I didn't want it to stand out(since it was my first time)...my initial goal was paint it back to stock white...get some aftermarket stickers that match the original(200 bucks) and voila..dun

I was also told that some paints..just for a few pints are a couple of hundred dollars...yeah...not the route I wanna go.

I had someone come to me and give me an idea for a paint job...just paint it unique since your never gonna get your money back out of it..make it your own...now that the chance of someone else doing it pretty slim...then there'll be no unique looking paint job LOL..I do have a willing friend who actual wants to do it..has the equipment mostly

thanks for the replies Speedracer..appreciate it

Take a look at Kirker single stage , it paints really well and it is way more inexpensive than most others.

PWCToday Newbie

i'll definatly look into it..thanks

PWCToday Newbie

with this feather fill g2 primer...should i be using a 2k urethane primer on top of it or can I just paint over the feather fill?

You can spray directly over it depending on what paint you are using , just make sure the featherfill is dried properly, give it about a week and make sure you go down to 400 grit. 2k primer is not necessary

PWCToday Newbie

excellent...that saves me time and money...this is more about the time than anything else

paint will be most likely be kirker mack blue single stage
    Last edited by newjs; 08-09-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Thread Information