Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: '97 GTX running rich at high RPMs

I don't think it's the pickup coil. I checked it over closely when I reassembled the engine. It also runs so well at all speeds.except high rpms.

I just removed and disassembled the raves. The pistons look good through the rave ports. I did however find another very small hole in the other bellow. I had to stretch it to even see it but I assume it could also cause this issue. The valves moved freely and there was very little carbon buildup. They are the slotted valves.as.well.

I have ordered 2 new housings and will replace.them as well while I'm at it. The play between the valve stems and the housings wasn't excessive but they had some wear. Should get them by the weekend.

As for the water valve, I've.done more research and I've basically come up with the same explanation for failure that you suggested. Of course, I'm no expert on them either so there's still the possibility it's not functioning correctly.

I'll start with the raves and go from there. If they appear to be working correctly then I'll move on to the water valve.

Thank you again for you help! I appreciate it!

PWCToday Newbie

OK, I know the rave valves are working now. I visually watched them open by drilling a hole in the cap and inserting straws in the holes. Also removed the water valve and made sure it's in good working condition.

Took the ski out on the lake and it will now initially get on plane and get up to 6100-6200 rpms then quickly drops down to 5900-6000. The engine does not run smoothly when this happens. Feels.like it's surging and I can watch the tach fluctuate. I've noticed this surging begins at around 5000 and gets more intense as.the rpms incrrease.

Since I've now eliminated the raves an water valve from the equation and I know they are now working correctly, any suggestions on what to try next? I'm thinking about swapping out the voltage regulator with another I know is good but any other input will be appreciated. It still starts easily and runs great until the upper rpms.

What do y'all think?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Was your new regulator oem, or a aftermarket replacement? Seems
    like a lot of people are having issues with aftermarket electronic
    replacement parts not performing as expected.

Try pressure testing the cooling system with at least 50 to 60 psi.
    I am curious about an exhaust manifold gasket leaking water into
    the exhaust? If the cylinders were not properly aligned before the
    base gasket was torqued down, or the gasket surface wasn't clean,
    a water leak would reduce peak rpm.

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Yes try unplugging the red wire from the voltage regulator and see how it runs, if it straightens up the regulator is bad dumping AC voltage back into the DC system, I came up with this test years ago when these regulators started going haywire.

What you are seeing as running rich may very well be an ignition misfire and hey it costs you nothing to rule it out..
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-22-2022 at 05:45 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

The regulator is aftermarket but I do have the original Seadoo regulator. I changed it back in 2020 when i was tearing my hair out chasing problems. Might change it back to the original one. I'm confident it is still good.

Good idea on pressurizing the cooling system. I did align the cylinders to the exhaust manifold before tightening it everything down but you never know. Doesn't take too much of an imperfection in a gasket to create a water leak.
    Last edited by Ch1ck3nF00t; 08-22-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Have you checked the head o-rings recently , they can also cause a high rpm miss and not let it turn desired RPM's.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday Newbie

I actually did think about unplugging the red wire from the regulator as well. This ski runs and starts really well and cruises great until i get to the upper rpms. Could be a voltage issue disguised as a fuel issue.

I'm so close but just far enough away to frustrate me. More than likely the fix is something simple. Again, I appreciate the suggestions!

PWCToday Newbie

I replaced the head o-rings when I rebuilt the engine. I spent extra time making sure the mating surfaces were clean. Again, anything is possible though.

PWCToday Newbie

I'm out of state on business this week but I will pressure test the cooling system when I get back. It's easy enough to do. If that's good then I'll move on to the voltage regulator.

All I know is you have spent a lot of time on this thread telling me what it isn't. Assume nothing because assuming it isn't something will not fix your problem.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 08-22-2022 at 08:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information