Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1989 Waverunner CDI questions

I'll say up front that I don't have any problems with my CDI box but I've read how expensive they are to replace with old used ones etc..so I did some digging and found the old thread about how you can use a cheap Chinese gy6 scooter version if adapted correctly. Looks fairly simple...but I have a couple questions...the diagram shows 2 wires not used...the stator and the temp sensor...how will the battery get charged if the stator wire isn't connected? also...a fairly new video was uploaded about how this cheap little cdi has the rev limiter turned off and that it wasn't a good idea to run the throttle wide open out of the water...i'm guessing with a flush kit...also not to run wide open doing lots of jumps in the water or something like that....what circumstance would this little engine blow up? i mean can you run the thing wide open across the water for a while or is it a "be careful" how much throttle you give it? since the temp sensor doesn't work Ithe rider would have to be the governor and guess how high you wanna run it

sdffsd.jpg

(thanks to the other forum i found this diagram in)

Thisisone ofthose "hasn't happened yet" type of questions but I thought I'd ask...I bought one of those cheap little cdi's and a wire adapter as backup just in case...18 bucks I thought why not...may be handy to have around...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newjs; 07-08-2022 at 09:02 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Re: 1989 Waverunner CDI questions

The wires that are disconnected there go to the overheat sensor, a lot of people disconnect those anyway. No rev limiter means it is imperative to get off the throttle when the ski is jumped or anytime the pump becomes unhooked from the water, if you don't the engine revs go crazy and when the pump hits the water again it tries to stop everything suddenly, that giant spinning flywheel on the front of the engine has momentum and it want's to keep going, something in between the two will eventually break.

The CDI has nothing to do with battery charging , that is a completely different charging coil and circuit.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 07-08-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

thanks speedracer..exactly the answer i was looking for...now i have a backup just in case

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by newjs View Post
    thanks speedracer..exactly the answer i was looking for...now i have a backup just in case
    Looks interesting. Do you have a link to where you are buying the CDI from?

PWCToday Newbie

Gy6 CDI for chinese scooter...any one that says gy6 cdi would work...in the description it will also say no rev limiter or racing
    Last edited by newjs; 07-10-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Thread Information