Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2003 GTX 4-Tec water seems to be leaking in from OPAS

My 2003 GTX 4-Tec is leaking water into the hull. I removed the seats and dropped it off the lift into the lake and I can hear water gurgling in from the back right corner. I can see water in the hull. I put it back up the lift and there is water gushing out of the OPAS around the tie rod on the inside (pump) side. It drained water for a pretty long time. After it stopped, I opened the drain plugs and let the rest of the water drain out.

From what I can see in the parts diagrams, the sealed tube should be a simple tube from the outside to the inside that the tie rod runs through. Is it possible the tube itself cracked? If a hose came off or the valve was bad, I wouldn't think water would come out around the tie rod when on the lift. I don't see how water would get from the hull into the sealed tube unless the sealed tube was cracked.

I know a lot of people are installing block-off kits. I do not want to go that route. While I've owned many PWCs and understand how they steer, I sometimes let newbies drive my PWC. Even with some instructions, they could use the assistance. I also don't need any extra speed. Since they retract at speed on the 3 seaters, I'm skeptical it makes a lot of difference to install block-offs.

Has anyone changed out the sealed tubes for the OPAS? From the shop manual it appears you have to take off the pump and a lot of other stuff. The clamps on the hoses are oetiker clamps and I don't have the special tool to install a new clamp. Just wondering if there are any shortcuts or special tools needed.

I replaced the wear ring myself many years ago and I remember that taking a fair amount of work.
    Current PWC: SeaDoo GTX 4-tec
    Past PWCs: Yamaha GP760, Polaris SLT750, 2 Yamaha WR500 WaveRunners

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 2003 GTX 4-Tec water seems to be leaking in from OPAS

Yes, the OPAS tubes rot and crack open. Totally do-able.....even for a greenie. Remove the reverse gate and steering nozzle and reduction nozzle. You don't need all that crap in your way. Unbolt the rods from the outer steering fins and unbolt the fins from the hull. They will pull out far enough and rotate out of the way without messing with the clamps. Remove the rods and the inner oval shaped pieces that hold the tubes. Grab the tubes and pull them in at the pump. You'll need to pinch and double the new tubes over a bit at a time to shove them into the holes. Use a flashlight and a dowel rod or long screwdriver to direct the end out to the fins as you shove them in from the pump side. When they are close enough to the outside, grab on with some long nose pliers and pull the outer end on out. Then just re-assemble. Whole process will take you 2-3 hours.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Yes mine on my personal ski are leaking, it is a fairly easy fix. the last one I did took about thirty minutes.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to use an endoscope (tiny inspection camera) to see verify that is really the cause of the leak.

Where do you usually buy those parts? Would a SeaDoo dealer stock them, or do they usually have to order them?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

We are telling you it is the cause of the leak , no endoscope needed if you really want to do a test put a water hose in the ski, turn on the hose , see where the water leaks out at
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

I bought two of the seal tubes and installed them yesterday. I knew the right-side tube was leaking and decided to replace both. I'm glad I did. The left tube had a tear in it as well.

The tear in the right-side tube was towards the bottom. The tear in the left-side tube was towards the top. I'll post some pictures of the torn tubes.

It took me about an hour and a half to do both tubes. The hardest part was pushing the new tubes into place. I used the steering rod for the outer fins to guide the tubes into the upper holes.

Thanks for confirming the cause of my leak and the description of how to replace them. The shop manual has you take a lot of stuff off that was not needed to remove. You saved me time with the repair.

20220709_095114.jpg
    20220709_095138.jpg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmailGuy View Post

Thanks for confirming the cause of my leak and the description of how to replace them. The shop manual has you take a lot of stuff off that was not needed to remove. You saved me time with the repair.
    ]

You're welcome.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information