Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

1989 Waverunner Fiberglass help...Recommendations

My next goal for this old Waverunner is to do some fiberglass repair...I've never done it but I'm gonna give it a try...The pics I've posted are of what the general condition of the Waverunner damage is. To me....it's fixable...unfortunately the front went under a dock at one time and popped a couple of silver dollar sized holes in it. Of the lot...that pic and damage is the one I will concentrate the most on..The other damage is just cracks and such that are up in the air on how and what I wanna try. I've seen enough online videos on the basics of how to do it...but I wanna know what procedure is best for all the damage you see...Obviously the holes are with layered resin and glass mat..but with what fiberglass mat and resin do i use or is recommended? Do I have to cut more of the holes out...if I do will I have to come from underneath or can I come from above(will be hard if not impossible to come from underneath)?...the other damage..is there another way to fix this without having to layer resin and mat? I went ahead and bought some Bondo resin/filler cause it seems to be a quick popular fix...I have an angle grinder and some sanding discs...from 60 to 120 for sanding..Do I have to use the angle grnder to sand or can I hand sand? I mean I could realistically just slap some bondo in there or some JB Weld and slap some duct tape over it(like the original owner did) and it wouldrun fine like before. I wanna try and do it some justice though...A lotta questions for someone who wants to try his hand at repairing and ole worth it Waverunner.

Outside of this fiberglass repair I wanna tackle...maybe stickers and such...the rest of the body is fine...No major scratches/dings or anything else...this Waverunner is basically ready to rock cause I got it running pretty easily. Hadn't run in like 7 or 8 years and all I did to it was drain the nasty 2 cycle out...replace all the fuel filters(3)...cleaned the tank and replaced the drain tubes(front ventilation) and this thing started right up in 30 seconds...no hiccups. I also went ahead replaced the start and stop buttons...the old ones worked but the rubber on them was rotted off. A few minor dirt dawber nests to clean out but was a relatively easy fix up. Also installed a flush kit. Other than that...any ideas/guidance/techniques would be appreciated on the fiberglass repair...would be appreciated...what resin/mat to buy etc.

thanks

yama 44.JPG

yama33.JPG

yam5.JPG

yam4.JPG

yam2.JPG

yam3.JPG

yam1.JPG

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 1989 Waverunner Fiberglass help...Recommendations

There is no fiberglass anywhere on that hull.
    Everything is SMC.
    Epoxy resin is required.
    You'll probably spend more on materials than you could get a good used hull for. I part out waverunners and give mint/nice hulls away for free regularly...or they go to the dump.
    Many ski parter-outers do the same.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Sand in AND around those areas for repair with 80 grit to clean and roughen the surface. It looks like ALL of that can be repaired with Marglass, Duraglass or Dynaglass. These are all water resistant, fiber reinforced, body fillers that you can mix and spread on like "bondo". They work well for filling small holes or gouges on watercraft.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the multitude of info...I'm glad I asked these questions before I bought anymore repair stuff. I didn't know this was an SMC hull. I do now...I also found out..through a bit of investigation...that you can use any epoxy based resin with glass mat or cloth and repair SMC fairly easily...it's the painting part that can be a challenge...when I started looking up Marglass, Duraglass, and Dynaglass..I stumbled onto another product called Proglas that steered me in the direction of some stuff made by US chemical called U.S. Chemical & Plastics SMC Resin QT (USC-58215)...for the price it's reasonable($40)...then I came across the stuff a lot use called West Sytems 105a epoxy with 205/206/207 hardener...between $85 and $105$

Seems the same procedures apply to the actual physical part of the repair...but the paint part will be a challenge...Seems a lot of skis are painted and not gel coated..and some say gel coat doesnt stick too well to epoxy based glass/resin. When I get to that point I'll make a decision what route to take.

Getting a good shape used old hull isn't an option...yeah a lot of these hulls/skis may be throw away but to me..this is a small fix for a ski that runs perfect and has no other issues. There's a guy across the lake from where I live that has probably 100 skis in his yard. We were told it was a dumping ground for people who didn't want theres anymore. Give him the title and he'll take it...I recently found out that he actually repairs em. Basically...a jet ski scrap yard...and I'm sure he has a few hulls...but...nah...I like the process of figuring these things out.

thanks
    Last edited by newjs; 06-30-2022 at 10:42 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Too bad you are not closer to Alabama I have hulls in much better shape than this that I would give you just to get them off my property.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday Newbie

oddly enough...i have a friend from Georgia who I called about some questions on doing the body work on this yesterday and he was on his way to some camping resort...in Alabama ....Where I'm at it's a 9 hour jaunt to Alabama from Texas...I grew up in Georgia so I'm quite familiar why Auburn is better than the Crimson Tide

I think I may go the route of Proglas...thanks for steering me in the direction of Marglas/Dynaglas Myself...my reasoning is it's basically slap it on..smooth it out...sand it...done....paint later(maybe epoxy paint)

Side Question

Are there any Jet skis/Waverunners out there that arent SMC?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I've used Marglass and Dynaglass on MANY different hulls for many years. I'm sure the Proglass will work fine too.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

All of it's kinda pricey...I'm loloking for a quart size and it's like a dinosaur to find...$70 as opposed to $20..i'll bite the bullet though

Talked to a friend this morning and he mentioned he thought the marglas/dynaglas would work also if you could sand enough to get a hold of some of the glass strands...mentioned that the spot this is in would be no strain so holding wouldn't likely be an issue

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

The marglas is polyester based, you really need epoxy to stick to that hull properly, it may just be my opinion but I did FRP repair for a living for a few years so I know what I I speak of.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information