Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2008 RXT 215 Stripped driveshaft Spline PTO side

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Seadoo RXT 215 that I purchased used last year. Has about 175hrs on it now. Maintenance was kept up pretty good from previous owner (gave me service receipts).
    This winter I rebuilt supercharger, oil change, and a few other small things.
    After taking it out on a test ride to verify supercharger function, I noticed it was cavitating a bit and leaking from Carbon seal. So I had to change that. Which involved cutting off the support ring and purchasing a new driveshaft (I accidentally cut too far into the support ring and hit the DS). No big deal. Got a used one which was in better shape than mine, all new carbon seal kit and greased up everything good. Worked great for 2nd test ride of the season.
    Now the problem, Last weekend we went to lake George and we weren't even out there for 30 minutes and I hit the gas and i heard a grinding noise, RPMs shot up, and it didnt want to move. We ended up towing it back with the 97 waveventure and got it on the trailer.
    After reading a bit and doing some preliminary diagnosing it appears the driveshaft is stripped on the PTO side. Images below show the impeller side (which still looks OK) but the dirty grease is concerning as that was fresh blue marine grease when installed.
    I have to finish taking the remainder apart this week to see the damage to the PTO splines. with the pump off I can grab the DS and turn it by hand feeling it click into place with each of the spline positions.

So questions:
    1. What does the DS mate to in the PTO side? is it the crankshaft?
      1. If so, do I have to now rebuild the engine or is the crankshaft that much harder than the DS that the male splines are the only ones that strip?

2. What would cause something like this to slip? bad engine/pump alignment?
      1. I did roughly check the motor mounts and they seem OK. By hand I can move the engine a little but it doesn't seem like the engine picks up or anything like that.

3. to do this repair do I have to remove the entire engine or just suck out all the oil and pull the PTO cover off, clean and replace?

If its everything but rebuilding the engine I'm cool with doing the work myself. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20220606_225252517.jpgPXL_20220606_225310446.jpgPXL_20220606_225315645.jpgPXL_20220606_225334095.jpgPXL_20220606_225336383.jpg
    Last edited by only1battman; 06-07-2022 at 08:32 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 2008 RXT 215 Stripped driveshaft Spline PTO side

Update: I did a bit more research using different search terms and I think I found the part. Its the #:420847952 output sleeve. Listed as #10 under "Crankshaft and Pistons". It seems like these are a PITA to remove and need the driveshaft removal tool. I'm assuming this is the same thing as the SBT Impeller removal tool: 529035956. Would someone be able to confirm?

PWCToday Newbie

Update: I ultimately decided to pull the engine from the ski. Mainly due to everyone saying that it would be much easier to make the repair this way as well as 2 of the 3 motor mounts were found bad.
    After pulling the engine and getting it strapped down to my workbench I was able to remove the PTO cover (which caused a small Oil spill in my basement) use the big Dewalt 1/2" (1200ftlbs removal force) Impact and a pipe wrench with a cheater bar on it to remove the PTO coupler. Started slow and was able to get it off without heat. To do this I purchased 2 of 003-316-02 22mm impeller tool from WSM.
    Part found here: https://www.wsmparts.com/Item/003-31...cda#start_view

Put engine back in and Aligned using the WSM alignment tool. Took a few tries. Up/down and Left/right were relatively easy, but forward/back not so much. Used the video from 3ft deep youtube channel to get proper min/max measurements and the logic there seemed correct, but their description wasnt great as well as they were doing it on a newer (2010 if i recall), so the dimensions might be slightly off.

See attached pictures for future reference.
    PXL_20220714_214321470.jpgPXL_20220714_214317517.jpg

great work man man...

Thread Information