Troubleshooting your fuel system is crazy easy and simple and cheap to do - Page 3
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Troubleshooting your fuel system is crazy easy and simple and cheap to do

I don't get onto the site much but seeing something on FB pulled me back over here right to your thread. It was like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for taking the time to write up these help posts. I always enjoy quality knowledge and you certainly provide it.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I don't get onto the site much but seeing something on FB pulled me back over here right to your thread. It was like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for taking the time to write up these help posts. I always enjoy quality knowledge and you certainly provide it.
    This site has a wealth of good info, Face book has a wealth of bad info and opinions.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fox river pwc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Thanks for saying so, and you're welcome.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Yeah, I'm an @sshole, but I'm not a complete @sshole.

http://badgerlandjetpilots.com/

I don't come here to make enemies - only to identify them...

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    This site has a wealth of good info, Face book has a wealth of bad info and opinions.
    Lol, I've been part of this group since 2004. I just don't visit often enough. Both of you are part of the good info here.

Blog Entries

Fun story:
    The same people who rip on me for typing too many words, or for not bowing to their "excellence" as their minions do, secretly read all my sh1t when their stuff is broken or when they need better ideas for whatever, lol. I'd say this helps me sleep better at night, but I sleep great regardless. Bwaaaaahahahaha.

Anyhow, in today's world where bad info and absolute incoherent gibberish runs rampant, I see value in everyone taking the time to share firsthand experience on a platform where it can benefit others...especially long term, and forums like this seem to be our best option to achieve this goal.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fox river pwc View Post
    Fun story:
    The same people who rip on me for typing too many words, or for not bowing to their "excellence" as their minions do, secretly read all my sh1t when their stuff is broken or when they need better ideas for whatever, lol. I'd say this helps me sleep better at night, but I sleep great regardless. Bwaaaaahahahaha.

Anyhow, in today's world where bad info and absolute incoherent gibberish runs rampant, I see value in everyone taking the time to share firsthand experience on a platform where it can benefit others...especially long term, and forums like this seem to be our best option to achieve this goal.
    The nice thing about this place is sometimes I have a question on something and do a google site search and lo and behold I have already answered it for someone else. apparantly I used to know more than I do now.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Blog Entries

Yup, forgetting stuff is fun, especially when you google the sh1t you forgot, and the answer you get is from an ahole you know all too well, cuz it's you

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

Fun story, of self-inflicted struggle.

Picture here shows my Hurricane Apex.
    Incredibly simple fuel system.
    Blowsion internal fill and pickup assembly.
    Running a single pickup 1/8" off the bottom, to a yami filter/water separator, to a primer tee, then straight into the master carb on a set of basically stock dual 38 SBNs.
    No selector.
    Standard return line to the tank.
    Fuel check valve to an open tee - tee makes it easy to zip tie the vent line in place, just cuz I don't like stuff moving around.

Key info: When I installed the Blowsion internal fill, which drops INTO the (solid) neck of an OEM tank, I used a new oring, but I also applied thin layer of Yamabond 4 case sealant over the assembly, to help create a seal between the assembly and the filler neck...since the hose clamp that goes around the (solid/stiff) neck of the OEM tank didn't strike me as capable of squishing much, lol.

With me so far?

More on the way...

Screenshot_20220830-082607_Gallery.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

So, I've been riding nothing but my Apex this season.
    Enjoying it a ton, and tuning as I go.
    Had a hiccup along the way, with carb diaphragms leaking through the center...and it's been generally a tad rich, so I've been leaning it in steps...and also made a pump change along the way. So I'm paying attention to details while also rec riding.

Had it screaming as best as it has yet, about 3 weeks ago.
    This was just days before we got a crazy hot and humid spell - temps in 90s here in Wisconsin.

I go out on a crazy hot and humid day, get a half mile up the river, jumping a neighbor's boat wake as I head to the lake, and suddenly, after landing from a jump...it starts to miss, above half throttle. I turn around and head straight back to my launch.

My initial thought was that I was already on the verge of being a bit too rich, and the crappy/hot/humid air, combined with a motor that had just fully warmed up, was enough to cause my miss (which initially felt like a gargle). Side note: See my mikuni addendum thread, where I talk about how it can be difficult to differentiate between slightly rich and slightly lean.

So anyhow, I spend some time trying to lean it out with the screw adjusters to no avail. Issue/miss remains constant. So now I'm assuming it's a spark/ignition issue. And I can say that it felt essentially the same as times when I've had issues like a weak stator (when hot), failing/failed ignition coil, weak/bad MSD, or even a bad regulator/rectifier.

The resolution is near
    Last edited by fox river pwc; 08-30-2022 at 09:49 AM.

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Blog Entries

So instead of doing a fuel system test at this point, I wasted time going through the electrical system. Now, I was motivated somewhat to do this anyhow, as I had an aluminum charging Riva flywheel in my retired race ski, and I wanted to swap my Apex over to a 61x stator and that aluminum flywheel anyhow. Fun part was finding a hairline crack in the aluminum hub of that flywheel when I removed it from my race ski...

Side note: If anyone wants to buy and repair this flywheel, send me a message.

Anyhow, after finding no ignition issues, I decide to pull a siphon on my fuel system. Can barely suck through it, and surely can't get a siphon going. Initially find the pickup tube is clogged with, you guessed it...yamabond 4. Apparently case sealant isn't as resistant to fuel as it needed to be, lol. Oh, and the external fuel filter/water separator also had some gray junk in it, and so did both of the internal carb strainers... Thinking back, landing from that jump was apparently enough to knock a chunk of the sealant loose, and it wound up where it wound up...right in my way towards having nothing but a fun riding season, lol.

Oh well, I'm still learning some of this sh1t

20220821_143000.jpg

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information